Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Introduction with Questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Introduction with Questions.

Hello Everyone, first off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Calvin, living out of California. Just turned 40 6 days ago, I've been looking at a car to buy, and just felt nothing was right. I am the type that doesn't like to drive a car that everyone else has. So in my search I accidently stumbled upon the Shelby Kit cars made by GTM. At first I was very interested in building one, but then I saw the GTM and fell in love. Long story short, I've been here trolling the forums for about a month now. Must say everyone here has such beautiful cars.

I am in the planning stages (probably won't start to build until this time next year). I know it's still quite sometime away, but I couldn't resist the urge to post & intro myself. Also asking a few questions too!

My main question is which route to go as a donor car.

Option 1: Should I buy a wrecked/salvaged car to get the parts I need (there's a place local to me that part out like 10 corvettes, haven't checked on pricing yet).

Option 2: Or should I buy a running C5 (roughly 10 to 15K), tear it down for parts & sell the remaining parts to help cover the build cost of the GTM.

I'm leaning towards Option 2. If I part out a running C5, roughly what will I be able to recoup for the GTM build?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    most are buying wrecked c5s and selling the rest of the uneeded parts off, usually covering the price of the wrecked donor in the process. save every little piece, someone will want it. i know of at least one person who used a wrecked c6, and the only thing he couldn't use (iirc) was the rear control arms because the mounting points for the shocks were eliminated on the c6. with the c6 you'd have an ls3, which would be about all you need for the gtm. swap in a bigger cam and it goes from 430 to 480hp. do plenty of searches here and on ffcars.com (if you haven't been there) there's many upgrades and mods that the guys are doing, and the information is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info/response. I really don't require a lot of HP, just as long as I don't get my @$$ handed to me by a kid driving a Civic. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the forums (a lot of information to be absorbed).

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome.

I would go wrecked. At the end of the day it is the most cost effective and I personally would have a hard time pulling a perfectly good Vette apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track by asking questions and seeking advice from those who know. Either method above (depending on the damage) would net you most of the parts for 0 cost and some free labor. Keep us posted as your plans progress.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also go the wrecked route. No sense in paying a premium for a non-wrecked 'Vette just to tear it apart. As long as you focus on getting one that is mostly damaged in areas you don't need parts from, you should be good.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also check here: http://www.cypressautorecyclers.com/factory5.html

These guys have been providing donor pallets for a number of years for all of FFR's vehicles. Would not be surprised to see an 818 package coming from them soon. You might not see a GTM package listed, but give them a call.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.. Over the years I've been a part of numerous forums. Rarely have I seen a person ask a question & get this much response. I like it here

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it seems to be pretty mature until someone says something about the SLC..... Then its back to grade school

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    Yea it seems to be pretty mature until someone says something about the SLC..... Then its back to grade school
    LOL, I had to laugh.

I"m with Carbon on the C6 thing. Get one of those wrecked, now your into the modern stuff. I can't remember who is doing the C6 build, but he really didn't have to change to much stuff. Someone chime in with his name, it is a really cool build. I don't think he has a build thread, it's a web page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    LOL, I had to laugh.

I"m with Carbon on the C6 thing. Get one of those wrecked, now your into the modern stuff. I can't remember who is doing the C6 build, but he really didn't have to change to much stuff. Someone chime in with his name, it is a really cool build. I don't think he has a build thread, it's a web page.
    That would be Aaron. ACH is his thread handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    LOL, I had to laugh.

Actually saw your youtube video on your build. Very nice.