Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  65

View Poll Results: How to finish the mesh panels?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gloss Black

47 82.46%
  • Unfinished Aluminum

10 17.54%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: mikeb75's build thread

Post Thanks / Like

mikeb75's build thread

Greetings and Salutations.

When this thread grows up it’s going to be the build thread for my 818S, but for the time being all I have is my deposit in and a tentative delivery date of September 2014. So, while I console myself by lurking in the other build threads and making spread sheets of things to buy how about a little back story of how I got here.

My first Subaru was a GL10 wagon in high school, but we shouldn’t count that one since it lived a hard life and died a hard death (of terminal rust).

My first performance car was a 2004 WRX and my first track day was provided by my wife, so technically everything that followed is her fault (but she doesn’t accept blame or credit). After said first track session I was hooked –completely awful at driving but totally hooked. So I began the endless cycle of suspension, brakes, tires and track days when I could get away and afford it.

In 2009 I traded the WRX for a STI hatch back –for the kid! After all a hatchback is ever so much more practical and the STI’s just happened to be hatch only that year. Practicality has since taken a bit of a nose-dive as I’ve worked to get the STI to perform better on the track. Work included coilovers, sways, tires, track brake pads, half of Australia under the car (DBA & Whiteline), turbo back exhaust (couldn’t hear the car banging on the rev-limiter). So after quite a bit of time, sweat, blood and money I’ve got a Subaru that isn’t a total understeering pig… but it is a bit harsh on the road. And now I do have some reservations about tracking regularly a not-completely paid off car with an engine design that is notorious for cracking ringlands.

This year I made it to VIR and that trip pretty much sold me on the idea of having a track specific car. I was redlining in 5th on the 2 straights and having fuel/boost cut issues –not exactly fun. So after checking the bank account and pondering where exactly I would store said car I got serious about it.

Having a track car has been a bit of idle fantasy for a while so the list of potentials wasn’t short:
    • Ariel Atom
    • Lotus Exige
    • Ford Mustang
    • Corvette

The first 2 were a bit out of my price range but they definitely spoke to me for what I wanted in (or technically didn’t want in a track car). I drove an Atom through the VRIDE program at VIR and it was absolute bliss: that became my metric against which track cars are compared. The other two, I’m a sucker for the sound of a big American V8 so they were potentials if I could find them cheap enough and get them light enough.

Then a funny thing happened, my father in law asked me if I’d heard anything about the 818. Now he’s a car guy and has always wanted to build a car and had shown me the GTM a few years ago, nice but not quite in my price range, but this new car:
    • Kit car -check.
    • Really lightweight -check.
    • Rear driven wheels -check
    • Subaru powered and derived - check.
    • Divine providence? –hmmmm.

I’m definitely feeling this, and bonus -already have some potential parts as take offs from the STI. Hemmed and hawed for too long before I finally made the call to put my name on the list, oh what is that? 1 year until delivery, OK.

So until then I’ll be cataloging what I have, what I need and what I want. I’m going to try to keep the project on the low end cost wise and try to keep the car on the low end weight wise.

I’m planning on running the EJ205 2.0L for a few reasons: higher redline and lower torque. The higher redline should help terminal track speed using the 5MT. Lower torque since I don’t think it’s really needed for a light car and to be honest –this is my first RWD car, don’t want to loop it all the time. All my track experience is in AWD cars and nose heavy Subaru’s at that. To get that car around corners I chuck it to the apex under braking then hammer the gas and let the understeer-push and turbo lag drift the car out to track out. I do that quite a bit now without really thinking about it so I’m afraid it may take a while to break my bad habits.

All said, why go with the S model instead of the R for a car I intend to mostly track? Doors. Wife Acceptance Factor [WAF] stated doors were pretty much required. I’ll be looking to adding some additional frame/cage later on in the project if I feel I need it.

TBC...

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Mike.

Great story and glad you were able to get on the short? list before the marketing throws the list into overdrive. FFR said they are now doing 5 818s per week so I imagine you'll be getting your car earlier than expected.

Where are you located, you said in MD?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Where are you located, you said in MD?
    Yes in MD; north of DC, west of Baltimore, south of Frederick (without putting too much detail out there).
    I've got Summit Point 1 hour away, NJMP 3 hours away, VIR 5 hours down the road, Watkins Glen International 5 hours away and Mid-Ohio 6 hours away and so pretty good spot!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    glad you were able to get on the short? list before the marketing throws the list into overdrive
    Agreed! Wish I'd been a bit quicker on the draw, but I was really undecided until September. That said if FFR can knock a few months off pick-up I wouldn't complain. As it is, I have time to find a donor so I can be choosey -and not writing a check for the total amount isn't killing me right now

As it is, I have a basement full of old Subaru parts I need to catalog and clean...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,
    I'm in northern VA and not too far away from you. I'm currently slated for August 2014, which will be perfect if either one of us runs into a trouble spot.

I picked up my donor about a month ago and have been getting used to how it drives. Saturday it's going to a dyno day to see where power output starts.

Glad to see another local join the 818 community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool metros. Who is doing your dyno work?

We're pretty lucky, there are many very good subi shops in the area, you have Mach 5 close by and I have Andrewtech and TurboXS!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^I couldn't agree more. Mach V is my goto shop. But PTuning is having a dyno event on Saturday, so I'll run on their dyno.

I've really been eyeing Element engines as well. I think I'm going to build the car with what I've got and upgrade if I ever pop the motor. I'm just waiting to get the funds from selling my last project (LS rx7) and then I can start figuring out which upgrades I'm going to use to meet my power goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Parts, parts and more parts (or how to blow a budget in as frugal manner as possible)

Spent some time inventorying what I have sitting around from my old ’04 WRX (sold while buying the STI, unfortunately) and take offs from the STI. Right now I’m sitting on:
    • Scoobysport (original Hayward and Scott –very old school) muffler
    • Raze 17x8 rims (with old as dirt Falken Azenis RT615)
    • Progress Auto 22mm rear sway bar
    • STI oil pan
    • STI front steering arm tie rods and ball joints

I’m close to finalizing my donor car, so of course, while looking at car adds I found a bunch of other things to pick up –because race car, or something like that.
    • JDM STI v7/8 Aluminum lower control arms
    • Wilwood 4 piston forged superlite calipers
    • Perrin light weight crank pulley

After I finalize the donor car it looks like I'm going to be spending some time/money on an engine/drivetrain refresh (at least with the car I'm pursuing right now). After that, back to pie-in-the-sky budget killers!

Post Thanks / Like

Donor –check

Found and purchased my donor car: a 2003 Sedona Red WRX wagon with 192000 miles on the clock. I had to drive 4 hours (each way) to PA to see and buy the car, but I think I got it for a good price (seller was motivated after 2 months of trying to sell car).

• The good: nearly full maintenance records for the car, the engine, transmission and interior are in pretty good shape considering the miles. Has a non-catted downpipe installed, and that is pretty much the only modification
    • The bad: body is a bit rough with hail damage, assorted dents and rust the alignment seems suspect and I think the struts are gone (not that I care about any of this). The driver’s seat has quite a bit of give -10 years of guys bigger than I am worth.

The engine may be down 15 to 20% peak power and can’t say a 200K mile turbo thrills me. The engine bay has the typical NE salt corrosion (but not as bad as my wife’s old 145K Forrester). The clutch actually seems decent, didn’t feel any slip.

Need to get the car disassembled and the engine and transmission on a stand. Then I can perform a compression test, inspection of the clutch, and cleaning/remanufacture of the parts. Overall though I’m thrilled about the car, it’s in much better shape than I expected. I can probably put off an engine/transmission rebuild for a year or two and gather parts needed for a 2.1 stroker and turbo upgrade.
    big_red_donor.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DD is a 2002 WRX with 193k+ miles and still does well. Turbo was changed to an STI turbo by the previous owner though. If you wanted to run that for a year while you build a stroker I would go for it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Welcome to the forum Mike.
    Thanks, been lurking here for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    My DD is a 2002 WRX with 193k+ miles and still does well. Turbo was changed to an STI turbo by the previous owner though. If you wanted to run that for a year while you build a stroker I would go for it.
    Agreed (and thanks for reminding me)! A STI takeoff turbo (vf39/43/48) is on my short list of possibles, if I can find one cheaply. Right now turbo is a bit lower priority though, there are still other things I want to get finalized before starting build proper (have quite a bit of time still)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on picking up a donor. Should work out nicely. They haven't replaced that turbo after that many miles?!

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo or not turbo

Found a used VF39 for under $300 delivered. Click, add to cart, purchase, thank you.

Good thing, was driving the car today and on consideration the engine doesn’t feel particularly spry while my foot is in it. I don’t really remember the ’04 for comparison, but it feels CONSIDERABLY slower than the STI.

This should help.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Day

Jumped on the ‘hot list’ and now have a pick-up date of 17 May 2014. That would be a very, very nice birthday present

The parts collection continues to grow as I ransack e-bay, craigslist and forums for parts on the want list:
    Picked up the Accessport from a CraigsList ad. I’ve had very good results on my prior 2 Imprezas using the Accessport, and TurboXS (a local tuner) supports it, so this was an easy choice, it was just a matter of finding one (the used ones sell real quick). This also makes ‘the plan’ of keeping the stock ECU and wiring harness mandatory now.

Bought a STI v5 long runner intake and throttle body. The plan was to replace or remove the TGVs, but found a listing on NASIOC for this for cheap. I think it is a long runner design and included the STI injectors and fuel rails (and throttle body). Hopefully it will only take a minor amount of work to get it installed and plumbed in and working, and should be a fun side project.

Found a pristine 2008 STI intercooler and a Walbro 255 fuel pump on the same forum.

UEL headers, stainless (some kind). They were used-beer-can cheap, but look nice (OK, they are shiny and the welds aren’t bad). After coating and wrapping they should work fine.

New 10mm oil pump.

FIL found a JDM blow off/recirc valve on ebay that I believe is rated to 25lbs.

Hugely excited now, only need it to warm up so we can take down the donor car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, great to see another build tread starting. I have a kit leaving from FFR soon, and it is amazing how this forum and ideas get us all so excited. I started with a conservative budget estimate - and it continues to rapidly grow beyond. I started with a 2.0 NA impreza RX donor - added, aluminium from control arms, 08 WRX brakes, 2012 STI engine, VCP ECU & loom (looking at Wayne's wheel options), still need a intercooler - i like Wayne's water system (perfect location on top of box)....
    Best of luck - my problem is now regardless of doors budget no longer meets WAF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junty View Post
    I have a kit leaving from FFR soon, and it is amazing how this forum and ideas get us all so excited.
    Seeing your location -that is very cool, can't wait to see your build. I would make a joke about how well the car will run being 'upside-down', but I'm sure you've heard it all before

I started with a conservative budget estimate - and it continues to rapidly grow beyond.
    I am getting the feeling most of us started that way (the less realistic), but now that the genie has slipped the forum is acting like a arms race/feedback loop where everyone posts their awesome ideas (and there are plenty). I know am looking at some of the chassis improvements being done and thinking "now's a good time to learn to weld"

Best of luck - my problem is now regardless of doors budget no longer meets WAF!
    Who was I kidding, WAF was a lie from the start .

Post Thanks / Like

Moar Stuff

Picked up a godspeed rear lateral link and trailing arm kit for $225. Price is right, hopefully the link ends hold up (ball pivots). They are red though, need to do something about that. I want the entire car black, engine, transmission, header, suspension.

FIL found a used Exedy race flywheel (12 lbs?) on ebay for $63. His price is better! Getting pretty close on the required parts to start the build, just looking for a LSD solution, some solid engine mounts and a KillerB pick-up and probably a complete bushing kit (need to talk to the guys at TiC about that).

[forgot to post this update a while ago...]

Post Thanks / Like

Last of the cheap (or edging over budget)

The flywheel was a bust: mis-advertised -it is for a 2.5L NA model, replaced with a $160 XTC 12lb ebay special and $182 exedy clutch.

Added a replacement water pump $99, dual core radiator + fans + shroud (another ebay special) $193 & torque solutions engine mounts $180 (forum purchase) to the parts pile.

As of today we’re @ $3200 for donor, $3025 for parts and $1000 deposit. Adding the $8990 remaining on the kit puts us ~ $16575, slightly over the 15K goal.

However, the next acquisitions are going to be bank-busters: LSD, seats, SS lines, brake rotors and ideally a bottom hinged pedal box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    ...looking for a LSD solution...

I just, today, got in on Race Line's second offering of a Helical Gear Quaife LSD group buy. I got the female one (QDH3Y).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, just noticed your build thread, awesome to see another builder in the area!

$16575, slightly over the 15K goal.
    You'll be able to recoup a bunch of money by selling unused donor parts. I've made back over $4.5k so far (including the shell and some old performance parts).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Hey Mike, just noticed your build thread, awesome to see another builder in the area!

You'll be able to recoup a bunch of money by selling unused donor parts. I've made back over $4.5k so far (including the shell and some old performance parts).
    Metros is also in the area, around Stephens city I think. Your sale back numbers are awesome, STiPWRD! I hope I can get close to that after I strip out the donor.

Rasmus, hope your shoulder is on the mend! I spoke with Erik today about LSD's, but am leaning toward the Cusco since the car will spend time on the track. I expect to be plunking down a chunk-o-change tomorrow to get it wrapped up

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch

Wrote a big check to my transmission shop for a Cusco LSD type RS 1.5 way, budget is officially blown.
    Also picked up SS lines : front/rear brake and clutch. Have a few more big ticket items to secure.

Now if we could just get a few warm days to tear into the donor so I can actually post on some work being done... ( I want to be cool like everyone else's build threads, the listing of expenses is a touch depressing)

Post Thanks / Like

Finally

Took advantage of the one spring day we’ve had to begin tearing into old rusty the donor. After 3 hours we had the main fluids drained, radiator & condenser out and a start on clearing the front of the engine bay.

Annnnd I’m going to need to get my Tetanus shot updated. This car has suffered some Canada and PA winters and it shows. The backing plates of the fog lights had pretty much rusted away to nothing, and it looks like the rear calipers (that I was planning on using) are pretty gone. Won’t know for sure until I get them off, but I don’t think they are salvageable. I hope the knuckles clean up…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikeb75; 04-04-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

F-ing Rust Bucket (not in the Bucket of Doom Way)

Disassembly continues (FIL is taking point). Sooo, apparently the lesson is don’t buy a donor from the NE salt belt.

This is going to be fun to get disassembled (bolt rusted half way through):

Anyone got duct-tape or JB weld (drivers front LCA rusted/cracked clean through & I drove this car 4 hours from PA):

I think Mickey had a flop house behind the AC compressor:

On the fun side of the leger I rebuilt the front calipers. The pistons and bores had a bit of scoring, but nothing too serious. Popping the pistons out was a bit challenging. I broke the plastic nipple I was using to connect the air hose to the caliper. Happily I had some spare Wilwood threaded fittings from a hydraulic pedal project for a race simulator I worked on last year. One of the fittings fit both the air hose nozzle and the inlet on the caliper and problem solved. Took a little manipulation some squeeze clamps to hold the pistons on one side to free the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. Dude. That's some rust!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sooo glad I got a CA car for a donor!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

That's some serious rust! Sounds like you're not far from me. I'm in Columbia, MD. I picked up my kit this past weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disassembly continues (FIL is taking point). Sooo, apparently the lesson is don’t buy a donor from the NE salt belt.

This is going to be fun to get disassembled (bolt rusted half way through):

Anyone got duct-tape or JB weld (drivers front LCA rusted/cracked clean through & I drove this car 4 hours from PA):

I think Mickey had a flop house behind the AC compressor:

On the fun side of the leger I rebuilt the front calipers. The pistons and bores had a bit of scoring, but nothing too serious. Popping the pistons out was a bit challenging. I broke the plastic nipple I was using to connect the air hose to the caliper. Happily I had some spare Wilwood threaded fittings from a hydraulic pedal project for a race simulator I worked on last year. One of the fittings fit both the air hose nozzle and the inlet on the caliper and problem solved. Took a little manipulation some squeeze clamps to hold the pistons on one side to free the other.
    That brings back horrible memories, it was the worst part of the build. If you need it I think longislandwrx still has Thors hammer, you will need it to get the BAB out of the rear spindle.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rusty *******

Rustbucket (the car) continues to fight disassembly. The front knuckle pinch bolts were seized, penetrating oil and heat did not release them and the bolts sheared –and the ball joint would not release from the LCAs. Sawzall to the rescue –not really worried about the ball joints, they are being replaced –if we can get them out of the hub and drill out the seized bolts we should be able to salvage them. The rears are another story –rust may have taken out the parking brake backers.

The steering rack came out also, only sheared 1 of the 4 bolts holding it in place. I think this is going to take quite a bit of cleaning…

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel sorry for you. I didnt even have to do anything more than wipe dust off before paint. Donor: 2006 STI with 95k miles. Seattle car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    I feel sorry for you. I didnt even have to do anything more than wipe dust off before paint. Donor: 2006 STI with 95k miles. Seattle car.
    Thanks, but don't feel sorry for me; I'm loving every minute of this. And if the rust gets too chunky I get a far away look in my eye and imagine the day I blow the doors off ___ at the track. [fill in the blank with your nemesis or high $ car -mine is the BRZ today - I got spanked last year in my STI by one]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    West coast donors rule! Simple Green and a sponge and my donor parts were good as new. I am taking unnatural pleasure in looking at all these photos of rusty racks and spindles, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever seen what Rasmus, Frank818, and myself (among others, I'm sure) have done to reduce some of this Northeast rust?

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-old-school

Might be worth looking into. I can't tell if that's what you're doing in the bucket in the bottom picture (don't see power/anode anywhere).

4 hours from PA....where are you building??

Best of luck!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    building in MD north of DC.

Totally have been lurking the BOD thread and all of your build threads. As soon as we get the hubs and rack disassembled they're going into a bucket. Before and after pics should be fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I am seriously in awe of the rust you guys up in the NE have to deal with. I have literally never seen the like. With that kind of rust in just 10 years, I don't think I'd ever a used car up there!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Tear Down: Interior

(looks like I forgot to post this from last month)
    Nice to make some actual progress, now to start reconditioning.

What a CF:

Interior nearly completely gutted, just need to pull the pedals and rear wiring harness:

Post Thanks / Like

End of the Road for Sedona Rust Pile

Just about finished up with the donor this weekend. Engine and transmission are pulled, but the rust******* fought us every step of the way.

After sales we’re about $1500 out of pocket. All we are going to use is the engine, transmission, steering column & rack, harness, mirrors & ECU. I’ve sourced new hubs for all 4 corners since the bearings were shot & the cost of new bearings & pressing the old ones out was about a wash.

Dropped the transmission off at Andrewtech today for LSD install and “inspection” (not looking to fix much, just want to make sure it doesn’t grenade right away).

Scheduled for delivery on Saturday of the kit, super excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not very nice... j/k I've so been there before

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ We had a saying in the CNY subies club: TNFF! (that's not family friendly!). haha
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably should have prefaced this entire thread as NSFW & NFF

At first I wasn't sure what FIL was doing, all I saw was motion to the side of the viewfinder on the camera. I asked him if he was planning to drop-trou and do something horribly inappropriate...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast