Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wiring Guide: 06 WRX Sedan with Auto AC/HVAC

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the solder seal almost exclusively on my 818 after having good luck with them on my mustang. However, as Wayne stated, solder can get brittle where it vibrates, so I don't just slide the wires in and heat up the sleeve like they show on youtube. I actually slide the solder seal down past the connection, twist both wires together (like for a wire nut), then fold them back down on one side of the wire and slide the solder seal back up and heat it. It basically becomes an adhesive heat shrink sleeve at that point, but with some low temp solder to help it hold and help with the conductance.

2. Thanks hartwellguy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was always taught to do a mechanical joint before soldering. If a wire is in a bundle, wrapped and supported then I would not hesitate to use those. I use them. Otherwise I would crimp as Wayne suggests. I've never had issues with twisting, soldering and using shrink tubing. Often I have crimped, soldered and wrapped connector ends (like ring tongues) for extra insurance.
    Funny, how I got the notice about these new posts and I just started dieting an engine harness yesterday for my Fozzy.

4. Thanks hartwellguy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I use heat shrink adhesive lined crimp connectors exclusively. Solder joint and anything that vibrates will fail over time
    Thanks Wayne. Any recommendations on brand/source?

Post Thanks / Like
    McMaster Carr has everything known to man, Waytek has lots of wiring products.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. Are most of you locating the main fuse box (M/B) in the engine compartment, left side? Are you keeping the big plastic enclosure that it was in? Any photos would be appreciated.

2. I'm thinking of locating the ECU inside the passenger compartment, behind the driver's seat. Anyone done it this way? I have seen several posts where it has been located in the triangular space, but seems like the firewall would cover it up, making it pretty inaccessible and subject to heat buildup. Did FF change the location of the firewall at some point?

Thanks to all in advance. Can't imagine building this car without this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hartwellguy View Post
    I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. Are most of you locating the main fuse box (M/B) in the engine compartment, left side? Are you keeping the big plastic enclosure that it was in? Any photos would be appreciated.

2. I'm thinking of locating the ECU inside the passenger compartment, behind the driver's seat. Anyone done it this way? I have seen several posts where it has been located in the triangular space, but seems like the firewall would cover it up, making it pretty inaccessible and subject to heat buildup. Did FF change the location of the firewall at some point?

Thanks to all in advance. Can't imagine building this car without this forum!
    My fuse boxes are under the dash:
    20200401_180403.jpg

ECU is behind the passenger seat, the firewall does in fact cover it up. It's not exactly accessible, although it doesn't really need to be. I'm also running another firewall to separate the ECU and fuel tank from the engine bay, this insulates it from the engine heat.
    20200208_151140_HDR.jpg20200322_163752.jpg

9. Thanks hartwellguy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From reading the forum and examining the wires, I decided to mount the black main fuse panel and the tan fuse panel in the front under the dash to cut down on the number of wires needing lengthening. However, I decided to add air conditioning, so I moved them to the very front of the center console. Like others, I cut the black 6 relay holder down to 3 and placed it behind the tan fuse panel. I did have to do a lot of wire shortening to clean things up.
    Fuses.jpg
    My ECU is in the upper right corner of the engine compartment per the manual. I don’t think accessibility is necessary, but I may have to insulate it to keep it cool and dry.
    ECU.jpg
    My assorted relays and other boxes are mounted at the bottom of the center console.
    relays.jpg
    I haven’t completed the wiring or a lot of other things, so I don’t know what challenges I’ve made for myself by doing it this way. This is my first kit car.

11. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be a consensus that both fuse panels go in the front, which is what I was thinking would make the most sense. I'm still in the process of dieting my harness so until I get it all apart it's kind of hard to figure what will reach where. STiPWRD Your finished tunnel/console is beautiful!

13. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGs818SNA View Post
    From reading the forum and examining the wires, I decided to mount the black main fuse panel and the tan fuse panel in the front under the dash to cut down on the number of wires needing lengthening. However, I decided to add air conditioning, so I moved them to the very front of the center console. Like others, I cut the black 6 relay holder down to 3 and placed it behind the tan fuse panel. I did have to do a lot of wire shortening to clean things up.
    Fuses.jpg
    My ECU is in the upper right corner of the engine compartment per the manual. I don’t think accessibility is necessary, but I may have to insulate it to keep it cool and dry.
    ECU.jpg
    My assorted relays and other boxes are mounted at the bottom of the center console.
    relays.jpg
    I haven’t completed the wiring or a lot of other things, so I don’t know what challenges I’ve made for myself by doing it this way. This is my first kit car.
    Your wiring job is so neat! Something to aspire to. This is also my first kit car.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456