Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Guide: 06 WRX Sedan with Auto AC/HVAC

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is the airbag buckle sensor different from the std idiot light buckle sensor?

I imagine it will need to be shorted, as well as something to turn off the ABS light.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, Can I just unplug my immobilizer box? Nothing is happening when I turn the key right now, not sure if it has been activated... I need to dig into debug this week
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Is the airbag buckle sensor different from the std idiot light buckle sensor?

I imagine it will need to be shorted, as well as something to turn off the ABS light.
    Not sure. If you don't have a signal from any of the ABS you will trigger the ABS light. I plan to dig into the gauge cluster and see if I can't just remove the trace/bulb from the cluster itself. Diagrams show R245 as the only switch on the "seat belt warning system" diagram. On the 06 WRX, pin 18 of B99 can be shorted to ground. That lets you eliminate pin 18 of R3 and r245.

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Craig, Can I just unplug my immobilizer box? Nothing is happening when I turn the key right now, not sure if it has been activated... I need to dig into debug this week
    I don't think so. Module is Subaru's term for Magic Black box. The immobilzer circuit contains the immobiler module and the keyless entry module. The diagram doesn't specify inputs/output signals. The debug section might. It shows power going to the immobilizer, the immobilizer antenna plugs into the immobilizer, the keyless entry and ECU also plug into the immobilizer. Check the grounds as well. Immobilizer to B100/F2 to F60/E3 to a ground lug.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    My key fob is very simple, only has a lock and unlock function, so I'm not sure what "immobilizer" functionality a 2005 WRX has... I don't see what I can do beyond hitting the unlock button and I've already stripped out all of that stuff.

When I attempted to start my rolled over WRX before disassembly it reacted exactly as it does now, nothing happened except the dash lit up. There was so much footwell damage from the accident that I couldn't depress the clutch so I didn't do any add'l debug, I just took it apart. :-(

So I'll start by checking to see if my clutch interlock switch is working...

Been too busy with other life stuff and processing a deer to work on the 818. Autocross season is done tho so more weekend time is available.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    The RFID is in the body of the key. My 02 WRX key body is thin while my 06 is fat due to the RFID. It sends a signal automatically. If the RFID isn't picked up the car won't start. Its possible the immobilizer antenna isn't hooked up or that or the immobilizer itself was damaged.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    and where would I find the antenna? to make sure it's still hooked up?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's under the dash. I have a picture of the antenna connector B142 on the previous page.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I think it's under the dash. I have a picture of the antenna connector B142 on the previous page.
    looks like its in the steering column near the key.
    IMM.jpg
    I can email you the whole chapter on security MY06 if you want it.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Edited a bunch of the previously reserved posts. If I get a chance, I'll work on the front harness tonight. I need to move some trees though. Thankfully, the builder told me my property line was 20 feet past where it really is so I get to dig up and move trees I planted 4 years ago. [/sarcasm].

Once I finish documenting all of the connectors, I'll start tracing what can be cut off and where and do my best to document that. If it becomes too tedious, I may fall off in my documentation. The end goal is to have a set of instructions that anyone with an 06 WRX sedan/autoHVAC/nosunroof/Manualtrans can pick up and follow steps A to Z with minimal thought input.
    I would tell the builder that he needs to move them since he did not tell you this before or at least help you move them!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been researching and it looks like my 05 doesn't have an immobilizer... only 05 STI... sound right to the Subaru gurus???
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    What does your key look like? Best bet is to get the 05 WRX wiring diagrams. Ken gilbert might have it (Google his name and Subaru).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I've been researching and it looks like my 05 doesn't have an immobilizer... only 05 STI... sound right to the Subaru gurus???
    Dan
    I don't know if this help or not. In MY06 only turbos had immobilizers.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found photos on EBay and will search to verify that the module isn't there on my car. I've went over the wiring diagrams and to be honest that type of stuff is my biggest problem with my MS that I'm not good at dealing with. I have several areas of damage in my brain that make many memory problems an issue, making it impossible for me to work as an engineer. The physical stuff, numbness and pain, are easier to cope with... I'll keep puttering around as I feel up to it, I still have some of the easier mechanical stuff to work out. Trying to put a meter to a small pin is almost impossible with my numb hands and fingers. The good part, when I cut them I need to see blood to realize it!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    My google searching says that in 05 only the STI came with the immobilzer, so you're probably good there.

There are two cables on the starter. The large cable and then a small single pole tab style connector that attaches to the magnet (i'm guessing that means servo). I'd make sure that's still attached. Try running battery power directly to the starter to see if it actually turns over. Get someone to help and put the key in start mode and see if the small connector on the starter is actually getting power as well. Lastly, verify the clutch interlock switch is disengaging properly.

For the 06 WRX, I've started to trace all the wiring diagrams and in Excel have been listing the connector name, what pins/wires can be removed, the color of the wire that is removed, what connector it connects to (if it's not an end of the line connector attaching to a sensor or ecu) and what the overall function it has (ie, passes signals from ECU to auto HVAC). Got about 200 lines right now. Will continue working on it today.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 10-16-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a boo boo. I noticed in some of the diagrams that shorting the door open switches would send a power source directly to ground. The diagram shows the switches being normally open. I assumed they were normally open in their free state. Turns out they're normally closed in their free state. The diagram showing it normally open implies the normal state is the door being shut. It makes it easier to delete the door chimes.

I think I'm 75% done documenting the harness itself. Still have a few connectors to document. Im up to over 400 wires that can be cut. Im going through everything and labeling optional deletes in case you want to leave things like door activated lights and noting where to cut a wire at a junction vs at a connector. At the same time, it eliminates the most amount of wire, not just connector ends.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig. Thank you. Seriously, bro. That's a hell of an effort. I (and I assume others) really appreciate it. You rock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted post with old version of wiring guide. See first post for most recent version.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 12-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Started trimming my harness following my guide. Found a few additions and a few mistakes. Mainly connector b36 iirc. Unfortunately the diagrams are separated by systems and often showed a single line from the fusebox through an intermediate connector and then to the switch or sensor. In reality there's a single li e feeding the intermediate but the line coming off the other end eventually splits into multiples. I mostly started at the sensor and worked my way towards the fuse box but skipped ahead at b36. When I got to i3 (I think, going from memory here) I found j had cut two wires on b36 that needed to be there. Luckily I've been pulling pins so I could simply replace the pins and solder the free end back to the junction or insert the other Lin if it didn't terminate at a junction.

I'll update my spreadsheet and let you know when it's posted.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Uploaded 30 more pictures for the Front harness.

The 06 Has a funky dog leg on the Fuse box. I took mine apart and it looks as though all the components in the dog leg portion can be removed. If you make a new box you can have a much smaller box with no dogleg!!

I likely won't document the engine harness much, if at all. Most of the connectors remain connected to their respective parts (throttle body, injectors, etc) and aren't hard to identify. That, and my motor is in and I've already cut off several connectors and tossed them so I can't take pictures anyways.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated the first post and the wiring guide.
    Items of note:
    • Added missing wire color info
    • Added some missing connector info
    • Corrected Connector B36 (do not remove pins 1, 5, or 17)
    • Reformated first post to make it easier to read and less of a wall of text.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd suggest making the following change

As always, perform this work at your own risk. I assume no liability for mistakes in this writeup, bad suggestions, or angry significant others as you try to have the smallest harness possible and spend too much time in the garage or take over the kitchen table because its to cold outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie

Thank you. Twice.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info looking forward to seeing your car soon
    Kerry from lapel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you greatly, this has been very helpful. I have a question, as I am beginning to ID wires I could remove. B100 plug , Pin 4 and 17, you show you can remove, is this because you removed the air pumps? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EODTech87 View Post
    I'd suggest making the following change

As always, perform this work at your own risk. I assume no liability for mistakes in this writeup, bad suggestions, or angry significant others as you try to have the smallest harness possible and spend too much time in the garage or take over the kitchen table because its to cold outside.
    Lol, that's why Craig took this over, my wife is already not very happy with me in the garage, never mind if I went in our kitchen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to check those pins later but if they are for the air pump then yes ,I removed my air pump so didn't need the wires.

I took over my living room. My wife just rolled her eyes. Ever since I dried engine heads in the oven once and then built a motor in the kitched she's no longer surprised and doesn't fight it. Lol
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted incorrect info.

I got rid of a lot of things including:

HVAC
    ABS
    Airbags
    Airpump
    Purge Solenoids
    Fog Lights
    Rear Door Chimes

If you want to keep any of those, just read the description column. If it sounds like something you want, don't delete it. You can also download a PDF of the wiring diagram and do a search for the connector number and verify what it goes to.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 01-01-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: deleted incorrect info
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    What is an air pump for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    What is an air pump for?

For pumping air.

It's been a while so some of the details are fuzzy, but t runs until the coolant has reach 170 or for a set period after enging turn on. It pushes fresh air into the exhaust side of the heads to produce cleaner start up emissions and speed up the warming of the cat.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, so totally useless. Got it!

Post Thanks / Like
    The system on the 06 consists of a pump and 2 valves plus hardlines and rubber lines. If you remove it, block the ports on the back of the heads. The 07 has a single valve IIRC and a pressure sensor integrated into the valve. The pressure sensor can be cut out, but must stay plugged in.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    My donor is an '03, so it does not apply?

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. 06 was the first year for the WRX getting an airpump. STI's first got them in 07. Prior year WRX's had a cat in the uppipe while STI's had nothing.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, I have spent many hours now trimming the harness and I am 98% done. Your guide really helped, and cut the learning curve of reading the subaru wire doc. Couple of questions I have. Other wires going to the relays (Fog, Power window, etc) that are still there can be pulled correct? I assume so, but I would like a confirmation. Also Mechie, could you help me see how B100 pin 4 and 17 are associated with air pump? on page 44 of the WI Wiring Sys.pdf I see where it goes from ECU to Electronic Throttle and Engine Coolant Sensor, but I cannot figure out how see how those are used in relation to the air pump, sorry if I am being dense. Thank you again for all your help.
    -Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    I could have made a mistake on the documentation. . I'll look over the wiring diagram again. There were some wires I removed on the relays. The subie documents make it difficult sometimes to figure out what relays are connected now. I do have an update to the document from the 23rd I haven't posted yet. I think it adds several of the relays. The relay block attached to the forward fuse block only has two relays left from the four or five it started with.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I went and checked my car. I actually deleted the entire B100/F2 connector and soldered the wires together directly. However, I do still have pins 20 (Sb) and 18 (RG) of F61 which correspond to B100 4 and 17. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Looking back, I think what I did was trace the diagram on pages 34 and 35 and then mixed that up with something else. My highlighted version is at work that shows what I verified. There were a few things I had missed.

B225 is the relay block where I removed quite a few things when I was double checking and verifying.

14 GW power window relay (coil) to IG relay
    16 B Power window relay (coil) to ground
    17 WG power window relay (power) to power window circuit breaker
    18 GB power window relay (power) to switches
    19 WB Foglight relay to Foglight
    20 RL Foglight relay to FB-31 #7
    21 BW Foglight relay to foglight switch
    7 L Fuse
    8 RB Fuse
    37 RB Rear 12V acc
    38 L Rear 12V acc
    36 YR Rear 12V acc Cut at junction
    34 B Rear 12V acc Cut at junction
    29 RW Mirror heater relay
    30 BY Mirror heater relay
    33 RL Mirror heater relay
    31 B Mirror heater relay Cut at junction
    23 RG Foglight relay to foglight switch Cut at junction
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Uploaded a new file. Removed the incorrect reference on B100 pins 4 and 17 to the air pump along with any other connectors along that path.

Also found an error on F61/E2 pin 15 where I improperly called the engine coolant sensor the ambient temp sensor.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mechie3, I just found your thread, Wiring Guide: 06 WRX Sedan with Auto AC/HVAC, WOW what a job you did there, with so many pictures, I'm sure lots of Subaru lover will appreciate. I have a problem and I'm sure you could help me very easly, I have a blue 2004 Wrx that I'm not driving over a year now, it all stared with a clutch change, and then all the crazy ideas that I had for a long time to transform it into a track car just came to reality. I live in Canada/Montreal, the car started to have light rust so I disassembled the hole car to the last screw and painted the undercarriage, under the hood, and also the interior in white, I put every thing back together (but no more interior plastics, rear seats and rear door panels, by the way I also have a roll cage to weld in, only waiting for spring, to cold now, I do not have a garage, I do all the work in my parking space) but that wiring was really bothering me, (specialy the fuse box under the hood and the battery, but that will by part 2) so a few weeks ago I decide to start to delete a bunch of interior useless things. My big mastake was that I did not mark all the plugs that I wanted to delete because I thot I would remember, but in the meantime I was in the hospital a few days and when a came back my memory was not so good, so I chopped the 3 green plugs that connect to the cluster thinking it was the radio plugs. Sorry for the long story but this is were I need your help, now I have 2 plugs a long White one and a short one, are these the radio ones that come from the thick harness behind the dash?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast