BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coilovers and LSD

Post Thanks / Like

Coilovers and LSD

Could someone please measure the extended and compressed length of to coilovers for me ? Kit coming to Canada they are deleted so will have to be purchased elsewhere . Car will be used for street only so a good adjustable should be fine.
    Also is everyone using a LSD and if so what kind . Should have kit in a few days so would like to get started .

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitby Motors has the Completion kits, it has all the parts that are deleted from the FFR kit, shocks, fuel tank and axles are some of the other parts missing.

Finn

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're dealing with Whitby motors, make sure you order the completion kit well ahead of time. They seem very "laid back"

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818 is also for street use and do not plan on using an LSD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although mine is designated for street use also, I do plan on using an LSD. I'm going with a gear type rather than a clutch-type, because they do not require constant adjustment, and because they are quieter, and are typically reliable. The better choice for a streeter, I think. I have a Quaife unit on order. The Quaife is kind of expensive -- about $1200 -- and they are hard to find right now. They seem to be backordered everywhere, and the Quaife factory has been slow in catching up with demand. There is also the OBX, which is Chinese-made Quaife knock-off, but which is apparently pretty good once certain simple modifications are made to it (there is a thread about it on this forum), and its about half the price. But personally, I'll wait for the Quaife, I think. If you want one of those -- it might be a good idea to order it before you need it...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if I get to do an 818 I'll have an upgrade OBX LSD in the trans. I'll likely have the OBX in my WRX (TLA WTF) long before I have an 818 though. They hold up in the AWD setup quite well but I'm iffy on how they'll hold up on 100% of the power in 2wd form now that we've all seen FFR's test 818 blow up 3rd gear at VIR.

I'm hoping some other folks will test out the cheap-o OBX LSD in the 818 before I get a kit. However, I guess even if the OBX units to break after a year or two, they are cheap enough to still justify going that route as long as they don't end up chewing up the rest of the transmission at the same time when they go.
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 10-21-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    I'm hoping some other folks will test out the cheap-o OBX LSD in the 818 before I get a kit.
    Eric did here.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-197...02-07-wrx.aspx
    http://modenaengineering.com.au/contact_us.htm

The Modena TBD is another option. About the same price as the Quaife, but currently available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan818 View Post
    http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-197...02-07-wrx.aspx
    http://modenaengineering.com.au/contact_us.htm

The Modena TBD is another option. About the same price as the Quaife, but currently available.
    This is a very nice piece, I have one for my auto tranny and I think Plavan has one for his 5mt in his 818r.
    1997 RSVX Impreza Awesomeness!
    1999 RHD 22B RSTI
    2002 WRX
    2005 Saabaru
    2008 STI
    2013 FFR 818 #30