Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 65 Coupe Chassis question vs original

Post Thanks / Like

65 Coupe Chassis question vs original

I am looking at the Coupe as my next project after building a mk4 however I have a few questions. Note to self: if I build another MK4 I would go with a 6 speed manual with IRS - I would definitely stay with the Coyote.

I have researched the original coupe vs the FFR design and I think the original rear frame roll bar behind the seats uses 2 down angled down tubes that support the roll bar and are somewhat angled inward toward the trunk and the FFR frame has angled down tubes supporting the roll bar running along the perimeter of the frame with a cross tube supporting roll bar behind the seats.

The FFR genII coupe uses similar suspension points as the MK4 which is an improvement over the original however does the Gen II coupe also have the foot box improvements as the MK4?

Can the coupe experts list the improvements to the chassis of the gen II over gen I including similarities / improvements over the original. Does the body of the gen II represent a scanned version of an original as per the MK4?

Can a Coyote fit in the gen II coupe, 6 speed trans with IRS? Recommendation for trans ect welcome for this combo.

Thx for helping me understand the differences between the Gen II coupe be the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave covers a lot of the changes to the Gen II coupe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI82zkRtVrs

Coyote? Yes, there are several being built now.

Scanned body from an original? no, the overall shape is the same as the Gen 1
    Last edited by DARKPT; 10-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/