Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Silvertop's NA Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Silvertop's NA Build Thread

Finally, I begin.

But first, an explanation – and something of an apology – to the friends I have made on this forum over the past few years in regard to my complete disappearance from forum pages a year or so back. I had been an active and enthusiastic participant on FFR’s 818 Forum almost since the company’s initial announcement of the 818 project, and was among 100+ enthusiasts who preordered their cars in the fall of 2012 over a half-year before the 818 even went into production. I took delivery on chassis #47 in October of 2013. Shortly thereafter, I disappeared from view. Here’s why:

I have never discussed it on the forum, but for nearly 20 years I have had the unhappy task of watching the health of my dear wife Mary slowly deteriorate right before my eyes because of advanced lung disease. About the time I took delivery of my 818S, Mary’s health had faded to the point that I needed to become a full-time caregiver, a situation that left little time -- and for that matter, little motivation – for working on my 818 project, or even for participation on the forum. So I set the project aside, and the kit simply sat in my garage, completely untouched, no boxes even opened, just waiting. It’s just a matter of priorities.

My Mary passed away on October 12 of 2014, not quite three months ago. It has been a sad and numbing experience, and I miss her beyond words. The courage she showed over the last year or two as her sickness robbed her of anything resembling a decent quality of life has left me with a deep and abiding respect and admiration for her. I really do not believe I could have done as well. She was just amazing. But I will not dwell on that further here. This is a build thread, and it is time to get it going. It is what she would want me to do.

So, over a year late, I am finally ready to begin building my 818S dream car. I have chosen to go naturally aspirated rather than turbocharged, mostly because I think the broader torque curve NA will provide will be more suitable for a street machine rather than what I think I would get with a turbocharger, and at my age (65), I simply don’t feel like I need the additional power the turbocharger would bring. However, the modifications I have chosen to make to the engine will likely result in the car being stupid fast anyways.

Project details:

1) Donor car: 2004 Outback Sport donor pallet from AJW performance, 2.5 liter NA engine, 5 speed manual transmission. Car was reasonably clean, and a nice runner before AJW took it apart.

2) Engine mods: High performance Techworks Engineering cams and valve springs were installed by AJW before shipment. Lightweight Grimmspeed crank pulley also added by AJW. Intake manifold has been ported and polished by Grimmspeed, but not yet installed. Air filter/delivery system yet to be determined. Custom stainless steel equal length headers engineered and hand-crafted by Techworks Engineering of Calgary, Alberta. Headers have been ceramic coated in a chrome-look finish by Straightline Performance of Forest Lake, Minnesota. Exedy 13 lb lightweight flywheel w/ stage 1 clutch is ready for installation. Tunable 2002 ECU has been substituted for non-tunable 2004 unit. ECU tuned to “Level 3” by Wm. Knose of Delicious Tuning, San Diego CA.

3) Transmission: Stock 2004 Subaru 5-speed manual. Quaife QDH3Y Limited Slip Differential purchased but not yet installed..

4) Wheels and Tires: Stock Subaru 16” five spoke mag wheels, probably to be painted white. Tires will be 205-50 on the front and 225-50 on the rear. High performance summer street tires suitable for occasional track day use, probably Bridgestone or Goodrich, specific tire model yet to be determined.

5) Seats: Possible use of the stock seats that came with the donor. But it is also possible sport seats capable of accepting a submarine belt will be used. Corbeau makes an interesting non-racing sport seat with slots for submarine belts for just over $600 per pair. We shall see.

6) Heat/AC: It will need to have a defroster, and some sort of a comfort heating system, either electric or conventional, yet to be determined. AC – maybe, but that it not critical in an open car.

7) Stereo: There will be one. Head unit yet to be determined, probably mid-priced Pioneer or Kenwood AM/FM/CD/MP3. Polk Audio PA-330 Preamp. Polk Audio Component Speakers, probably MM6501, door mounted. Possibly compact subwoofer mounted under one of the seats.

8) Options purchased: FFR front splitter. Also FFR rear spoiler. GTM-style sport leather-wrapped steering wheel.

9) Soft top: Haven’t ordered yet, but I’ll be buying one of the DTS Rod Tops units that FFR sells.

10) Color Scheme: My white gelcoat 818S will probably wind up with a paint scheme very much like the blue and white FFR prototype 818R track model. I have been quite taken with that ever since I first saw it. However, nothing is etched in stone.

I will begin opening boxes tomorrow, print out my build manual, and start inventorying parts. And now that I am finally getting to it, the excitement is ratcheting up. I have no idea how fast my project will come together, but I hope to get enough done to warrant updating my build thread at least once a week. I would love to finish the car by this June, in time to drive it to the FFR Open House. I know that is almost certainly an unrealistic goal, especially given the very rust-laden status of my mechanical skill set. However, I AM retired, and my time is now completely my own. I can work on this thing as much as I want. We shall see. In any event, much of the joy is in the build itself, rather than the completion, so there is really no urgency. I do know that I am going to have some fun! With Mary’s blessing.

Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your wife, I'll be praying for her tonight. I think I can understand between my Dad's passing 1 1/2 years ago and continually dealing with my 92 yr old mom in law... getting old sucks when health issues catch up with you.

Sounds like an awesome build. If you use the stock seats I've defined how to get them to fit in my build thread. I also considered the NA approach, it was just so cheap to go with a turbo donor... What kind of power do you expect with those mods?

I found that the stock wheels will work fine if you use 1 1/2 inch spacers in the rear and 15 mm in the front. Those [put the tires at the edges of the wheel wells.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Sorry to hear about your wife, I'll be praying for her tonight. I think I can understand between my Dad's passing 1 1/2 years ago and continually dealing with my 92 yr old mom in law... getting old sucks when health issues catch up with you.

Sounds like an awesome build. If you use the stock seats I've defined how to get them to fit in my build thread. I also considered the NA approach, it was just so cheap to go with a turbo donor... What kind of power do you expect with those mods?

I found that the stock wheels will work fine if you use 1 1/2 inch spacers in the rear and 15 mm in the front. Those [put the tires at the edges of the wheel wells.
    Nice to hear from you, Dan. It's been a while. If I decide to use the stock seats, I'll definitely chase down your input on your build thread. And thanks for the spacer tidbit. You just saved me having to figure it out for myself.

I think it actually WOULD probably have been cheaper to start with a WRX donor -- but only if I had been willing to leave it stock -- and I KNOW that wouldn't have happened. As it stands, I already have in excess of $3K invested in engine-related modifications for my NA application. I'm guessing that I'll be developing something in the neighborhood of 215 flywheel HP when all is said and done. Which will certainly make it quick enough for MY needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that you have been fully invested in your wife, the pain of losing a life partner has to be worse than losing a parent... It gets to where it is just time to let them go, my Dad held on so long and just needed to be told it was OK to pass. Once he understood, he went so fast.

I absolutely love zipping around in my Miatas so having 200 HP and less weight should be downright AWESOME. I added an Accessport, intake and exhaust stuff to up the HP of the turbo and I'm expecting 230 -240 at the wheels... I'll have numbers in the spring.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see your return our brave friend. I will be following your build and available for any help you may need. Let's get this car done as she would want you to.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, gents. Your comments are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So sorry for your loss; that was a moving tribute.

Welcome back! I remember you got your kit just before I did and was was wondering if we'd see a build thread. I look forward to watching a nice NA come together..

Take care,

Lee

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I believe she would be happy to know you are going on with your build. Remember all of us here on the forum are here to help anyway we can, God Bless and have fun with your build. I wish I would have done a N/A. I look forward to your posts. TW

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's a really sad story, but you did what was the best thing to do of course! Now I'm sure she would want you to build a nice 818!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Oh that's a really sad story, but you did what was the best thing to do of course! Now I'm sure she would want you to build a nice 818!
    I KNOW she would. She said so. On her more lucid days, she always seemed to want to apologize for "messing up my life". I always told her that the car would keep. And that seeing to her care was no burden, but an honor and a privilege. Because that was the truth of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I KNOW she would. She said so. On her more lucid days, she always seemed to want to apologize for "messing up my life". I always told her that the car would keep. And that seeing to her care was no burden, but an honor and a privilege. Because that was the truth of it.
    Right said!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I'm so sorry for your loss. We exchanged private messages shortly after you got your kit. I knew of your wife's illness and not seeing any posts from you, feared the worst. I have your phone number but with your silence on the forum I chose not to disturb you.
    Now that you are back to your build I would enjoy visiting you at your convenience.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    Jim, I'm so sorry for your loss. We exchanged private messages shortly after you got your kit. I knew of your wife's illness and not seeing any posts from you, feared the worst. I have your phone number but with your silence on the forum I chose not to disturb you.
    Now that you are back to your build I would enjoy visiting you at your convenience.
    Alan
    Right at this moment, there really isn't much to see. The kit is literally in the same condition as it was when it came to me in October of 2013, with the body panels still taped together over the frame. I am only just now beginning to open all of the boxes of parts, to inventory them before I start the assembly process. Nonetheless, you are welcome. I am sending you a PM with directions and my current phone number. I don't remember which one I gave you. I recently canceled my land line. Just don't need it. Nothing but Robocalls...... Do call before you come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, did you ever achieve registration in MN? I'm built an 818C with my brother. I'm in Wisconsin and stuck on safety inspection due to lack of air bags. He's in MN, wondering if registration across the St. Croix is easier? thanks, Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Air bags? There are places asking for air bags on a kit car?
    Frank