Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Savage' build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell Rot Orange?! My eyes, Sweet, Flying Spaghetti Monster! My eyes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Never thought of painting the tranny as well? Orange or any other color.
    Thought about it. But if I was going to paint it, I'd have to tape off all the bolts or take it all apart because I'm not a big fan of a paint job where someone paints the bolts. Also, it makes it harder to remove the bolts later. Besides, getting it clean enough for a lasting paint job is a lot of work. I figured if it wan't completely clean, the paint would peel and it would end up looking no better than it does now in a couple of years anyway.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Hell Rot Orange?! My eyes, Sweet, Flying Spaghetti Monster! My eyes!
    Hellrotorange is the German name for it. It means Bright (Hell) Red (Rot) Orange (Orange). 'Hell' is also used for 'light.' The RAL colors are mostly a European standard even though its commonly used for powder coat in the US. It's pretty funny to see all the color names in other languages. In german, Light Ivory is Hellelfenbein and Traffic Purple is Verkehrspurpur.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    My 1991 BMW 325 IC is Cashmirebeige Metallic People call it Bronzit
    Hellrotorange is a classic BMW color
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    Westview, thanks for coming over to lend a hand.
    Larry, You are very welcome!

Having seen the orange first hand, I have to say that it looks even better in person!!

Post Thanks / Like

2/21 Update

No drama this week. I like it that way!

Exhaust manifold and up-pipe installed:

IMG_0465.jpg

Coolant reservoir and other small parts installed on engine, still a few lines to run:

IMG_0468.jpg

Rear Suspension installed:

IMG_0472.jpg IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0469.jpg

All in all a productive evening.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    VERY nice looking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. I like the bracket on your water tank. Hahahahaha! ; )
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much of an update this week. We spent friday night going over all the work done so far to make sure we didn't miss anything and did a few other odds and ends. Not much to show pictures of, except this...

Just got these pictures from my powder coater. He still has one piece left to do.

image.jpg image-3.jpg

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 03-03-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks awesome Larry!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its been a few weeks since I updated. We had to acquire a few parts, took my wife out to a musical, and I hurt my back so not too much has happened. We will get back at it tomorrow night.

In the meantime I got the odometer back to 0

I win!!!!

IMG_0517.jpg

Plan B, reprogramming the eeprom did the trick.

This link, from STiPWRD's build thread gave me the clues I needed: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t105...pped-dash.html

If you set the values in eeprom to 0000 with a check word of FFFF you get 15 miles. I did that first and it worked fine.

If you set the values to FFFE with a check word of 0001 you get 0.

I expected to get 999999 with FFFE which I would then roll over to 0, but when I plugged the eeprom in it was at 0 so there we go!

Next step is to change backlighting to orange/amber and the cluster will go back together.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    took my wife out to a musical, and I hurt my back
    Obviously that's sad, but what on earth did you do to hurt your back at a "musical"? lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Obviously that's sad, but what on earth did you do to hurt your back at a "musical"? lolll
    I guess that does sound kind of odd. I think I actually hurt my back shoveling snow. Been on good drugs this week and almost back to normal. It's amazing what a cocktail of Prednisone, Flexeril, and hydrocodone/acetaminophen will do.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Flexeril
    And a glass of wine...good for a 14hr nap every time! "Alcohol may intensify the effect" is not a warning, its an advertising,
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    For a second I thought you were in the musical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    For a second I thought you were in the musical.
    No, went to see Man of LaMancha. It's one of my favorite shows.

Did a few odds and ends on the car this afternoon. Then this evening I finished messing with my cluster. Lighting now orange. This isn't a great picture. It looks better in person.

I didn't replace any of the bulbs. I removed the green film from the inside of the cluster and replaced it with orange lighting film.

IMG_0014.jpg

Oh, we also bolted the tank in.

IMG_0518.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry, I'd really love to make my dash lights blue. Do they make that film in a blue tint? If so, do you know where I could get some?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Hi Larry, I'd really love to make my dash lights blue. Do they make that film in a blue tint? If so, do you know where I could get some?
    Xusia
    I saw a Youtube where the guy changed the bulbs to blue LEDs.

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&...ue+led+cluster

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-Im...-/181101663627
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 03-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's made by Lee Filters. It comes in lots of colors. I used CL158. It comes in 24"x21" sheets and cuts easily with scissors. I bought it from Adorama for $6.40/sheet.

Here is a link to the section on Adorama's web site: http://www.adorama.com/l/Lighting-an...lters-and-Gels

Here is a link to the Lee Filters site: http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-list.html

To change the color you will have to remove the green tint from the backs of the gauges. It sands off fairly easily, but requires patience. Don't pull the needles off. Just work between the back of the gauge and clear plastic piece and take your time. Some people say to use acetone rather than sanding, but the acetone attacks it pretty fast and can make the plastic brittle, so after trying it on a corner I decided to use the sanding method instead. Be patient, it took me several hours.

Here is a thread that shows the process: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...vac-11003.html

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 03-22-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob & Larry. That gives me some options to consider!

Post Thanks / Like
    We did a lot of odds and ends Friday night and got a table set up for the wire diet.

Today we went on a trip to OG Racing in Sterling, VA and came home with two of these...

IMG_0526.jpg

They are a little deeper front to back than I had hoped which will limit how much we can slide them, but they were the smallest seats that I found comfortable. I went planning to get R100's, but the back of them was too narrow for me.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    OG Racing is always a good stop. Those seats look to fit fairly tight in the car. IIRC those seats are on the narrower side. I may have to reconsider the Sparco Evo/evo2 seats I was considering.

Nice progress on your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    OG Racing is always a good stop. Those seats look to fit fairly tight in the car. IIRC those seats are on the narrower side. I may have to reconsider the Sparco Evo/evo2 seats I was considering.

Nice progress on your build.
    I tried all the Evo's just for kicks and grins even though I wasn't interested in racing buckets. The Evo II"s were a bit narrow for me. the Evo III's were pretty comfy though. That's the problem with being wide and short. I have wide hands, feet, and shoulders even though I'm only 5'8" tall. Makes it a pain to buy clothes, shoes and gloves. Heck, my feet are 7 1/2 4E, try to find those in stock anywhere.

Larry

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We did a lot of odds and ends Friday night and got a table set up for the wire diet.

Today we went on a trip to OG Racing in Sterling, VA and came home with two of these...

IMG_0526.jpg

They are a little deeper front to back than I had hoped which will limit how much we can slide them, but they were the smallest seats that I found comfortable. I went planning to get R100's, but the back of them was too narrow for me.

Larry
    What model are those?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    What model are those?
    Chrono Road, Medium size, Gray/Black. They also come in Standard size which is a little bigger.

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/chrono-road

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would do something productive during the rain delay in the NASCAR race.

It still needs a bit of cleanup work, but I think it looks pretty good.

IMG_0016.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Kool idea!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the odometer back to 0

I win!!!!
    Glad you got this to work. Did you have to de-solder the 8 pin dip? I noticed it was in a socket in your pic. Also, did you have to build that circuit with the serial cable like in the other thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    One other question - did you try running up some more miles with the pule generator and then clearing it again to verify the odometer still works properly? Just curious

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Glad you got this to work. Did you have to de-solder the 8 pin dip? I noticed it was in a socket in your pic. Also, did you have to build that circuit with the serial cable like in the other thread?
    Yes I had to desolder the chip. I didn't have to build a circuit, I was able to use my PIC programmer to program the eeprom.

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    One other question - did you try running up some more miles with the pule generator and then clearing it again to verify the odometer still works properly? Just curious
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too much to report. We've been working on numerous little things. The long brake line and clutch line are installed. I have been spending most of my 'car' time dieting the wiring harness lately. I think I'm probably about half done with the dieting. Here is the pile of scrap so far.

IMG_0527.jpg

It's probably about 15 lbs or a bit more removed so far. I'm using an 02/03 harness. There are a few differences between the 02/03 harness and the later ones that are interesting. The harness is somewhat simpler than the later cars (don't get excited it's not a lot simpler) because there were fewer options available in the early two years. Also, the wiring diagrams are much simpler. Since there was no STi in 02/03 and fewer options were available there is less clutter in the wiring diagrams.

Wayne had pointed out that the front harness forms a loop when connected to the bulkhead harness at both ends. Once you remove the ABS, there is no more loop. In fact the right side bulkhead to front harness connector completely goes away as it only has ABS wiring in it.

I'll report any more interesting findings as I go along. Once I'm done dieting I'll post some pictures of my reduced harness.

Updates will be a bit spotty over the next several weeks as we have a lot of other things going on.

Happy Easter everyone.

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 04-19-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see in depth pictures of your harness when you're done and details of what yo keep an eye out for. I'll be using an early harness as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    I would like to see in depth pictures of your harness when you're done and details of what yo keep an eye out for. I'll be using an early harness as well.
    One thing I will tell you is to make sure to visually check the full length of the wires before cutting. I located both ends of one wire and cut them both off at the connector then went to pull it out. It wouldn't pull. It turns out there were two junctions in the wire and I actually shouldn't have cut the one end, I should have just cut it back to the junction. The junction wasn't shown on the wiring diagram because the other wires at the junction were for a different system and were on a different page of the schematics.

I had to repair the one I cut. No big deal to fix it in this case, but best not to do it wrong to begin with.

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 04-19-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you will post details before I start my diet. I'm a few weeks out from that point as we speak and I am using the se harness as you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second this. Learned the hard way!

One thing I will tell you is to make sure to visually check the full length of the wires before cutting. I located both ends of one wire and cut them both off at the connector then went to pull it out. It wouldn't pull. It turns out there were two junctions in the wire and I actually shouldn't have cut the one end, I should have just cut it back to the junction. The junction wasn't shown on the wiring diagram because the other wires at the junction were for a different system and were on a different page of the schematics.

I had to repair the one I cut. No big deal to fix it in this case, but best not to do it wrong to begin with.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks larry this is what i am looking for
    great instructions here
    kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    And the pile continues to grow:

IMG_0528.jpg

I think I am going to post some articles on the methodology I am using to diet my harness. I'm not going to describe it wire-by-wire detail, but rather describe the process I am using. I'll probably start it next week some time so stay tuned.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0528.jpg

I think I am going to post some articles on the methodology I am using to diet my harness. I'm not going to describe it wire-by-wire detail, but rather describe the process I am using. I'll probably start it next week some time so stay tuned.

Larry
    Sounds like a great idea!

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0528.jpg

Larry
    Yes, great idea. I'm at the point of doing the wiring harness, and I dread the very thought of it! Anything you can add would be helpful!
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast