FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wleehendrick's Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Encinitas! Hello neighbor, I am in Carlsbad. If you ever need a hand or are cool with me stopping by to check out your build please let me know.

-Kevin ([email protected])
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very cool
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    Encinitas! Hello neighbor, I am in Carlsbad. If you ever need a hand or are cool with me stopping by to check out your build please let me know.

-Kevin ([email protected])
    Of course! My build is in a friend's garage in San Marcos, not too far away.

Last night, I got the cockpit aluminum footbox area finished, and my pedal box with brake and MC cylinders mounted. I'm going to adjust the position of the DBW throttle to fit my preference for heel/toe operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Very cool
    Thanks... that means something from "Very Cool Parts"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Of course! My build is in a friend's garage in San Marcos, not too far away.
    Awesome, San Marcos is right up the road.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to adjust the position of the DBW throttle to fit my preference for heel/toe operation.
    FYI, I used the throttle pedal bracket mounted to the vertical frame piece. I found a 1" spacer between the bracket and the frame on the lower mounting hole to be ideal, and bent the upper mounting tab to sit flush. I will probably design a stop for the pedal and 3D print it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also got my NRG seats and harnesses from Erik (33 Machine). I adjusted the sidemounts and set them in to validate pedal position. I'm glad I ordered the Boyd tank, as I'll want to push my firewall back at least an inch for my preferred seat placement.

pedals.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I will probably design a stop for the pedal and 3D print it.
    Now that I wish I could do for an entire engine... someday, someday...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, finally a long overdue update. I haven't been posting too actively here, because 1) my progress is slower than expected, and 2) I'm not doing much really unique (yet).

Anyway, my suspension is on, just a couple minor things to do. I have new swaybar mounts coming. I know I'll have to drop the rear hubs to get the axles in, but I needed to motivation of seeing things come together, so I just had to put the brakes on.

I turned the OEM rotors, and decided to try StopTech Street Performance pads. Still would like to get some SS braided brake lines; any recommendations? I sprayed the calipers with Duplicolor red caliper rattle can and put white '818' graphics on. I like the color, it's a deeper red than Subaru's, but it doesn't seem too durable.

I dropped the Boyd tank in place, but haven't mounted it yet, that's up soon. The outside of the Al panels I've sprayed with 3M rubberized undercoat, which really dampens the sound. On the inside, I plan on EZCool insulation (there's a roll of it in the cockpit) under the carpet.

Unfortunately, I'm missing a couple pieces of hardware to button up the rear suspension. I need two M14 1.5 nuts, which shouldn't be too tough to find, but I'm also missing one of the cam washers for the rear lateral, toe-control, link. Anyone know where I can source just this washer?

So, the chassis is ready to install the motor, and I've worked ahead since the motor isn't ready to go in yet. I'm a Subie newb, so unfamiliar, and a little intimidated, by the EJ. I've already pulled the AC compressor and PS pump and installed Mike's alternator bracket and tensioner. I'm sure I could slowly work through everything else I want to do to the motor with help from the forum, but it would probably be much quicker to get a hand from someone skilled with the EJ. I'd be willing to pay for the assistance and would prefer to just get it done in a day with some professional help. Any suggestions on where to find someone... call a Subie shop or post on NASOIC?

0103141209_Medium.jpg

0102141310_Medium.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know where I can source just this washer?
    Subaru: 20560AA011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rori View Post
    Subaru: 20560AA011
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Lee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have my EJ right now at OutFront Motorsports. They are in Buena Park about an hour north from you just off the 5 freeway. I found them on NASIOC and am more than impressed with how they have handled me so far. I'm going there on Monday to give them my intake manifold, they are doing the TGV deletes and fuel rails that Outfront manufactures and the work well with. Also killer B baffle and pickup along with new oil pan (mine was dented, they threw it on for free). Good group of guys. Ask for John, he is the owner and has a very well rounded knowledge set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Brandon, thanks for the info. Ideally I'd prefer not to haul the motor. Dru referred me to a guy that's helping with his EJ, so I'll see if he'll travel to SD North County.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to prep for my kit arrival next month. For the life of me I can't remember what the cam bolts even look like does anyone have a picture or part number. I'm going through my suspension boxes and can't find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Looking good Lee.
    Thanks, George.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lee, you know i have a full sized truck and a motor lift. I don't mind coming by and helping you haul the motor both ways. Let me know if you wish to do that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Lee, you know i have a full sized truck and a motor lift. I don't mind coming by and helping you haul the motor both ways. Let me know if you wish to do that...
    Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I decide to take it somewhere. Hopefully I get it all sorted out in the garage and the next time the motor leaves, it'll be under its own power!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last weekend Ray came bay and helped my run the brake and clutch lines. He drove his roadster over and took me for a spin:

Rather than try to produce a work of art, we kept it simple, minimizing the number of junctions and bends and attached to 'T' directly to the BPV. Here's the front:

I also installed Stoptech braided stainless steel lines front and rear. My friend Ted did the grunt work of grinding off the brackets from the rear lateral links to keep the suspension looking clean. Also, the swaybar now fits with the new Prothane brackets and bushings.

I took the rear firewall to a metal shop of a friend of a friend. We bent the panel a further 16 degrees on a press break; this let me move it back 2.5", tucked up nicely against the Boyd tank. I still have some more rivnuts (threaded inserts) to set to secure it.

I'm picking up my NRG steering wheel and hub adapter from Erik tomorrow and then will get to work on the steering column and rack and work on mounting the seats. (the motor install will wait a few more weeks until it's sorted)

I have a couple business trips coming up, so progress will slow while I'm out of town (not that I'm the fastest builder, LOL).

BTW, I took the day off from the 818 and my wife and I put the top down on the 135i and drove up the coast to San Clemente. Had to enjoy the beautiful 'winter' day:

12 Firewall_Medium.jpg16 Hydraulics_Medium.jpg0112141304_Medium.jpg0119141701a-1_Medium.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I haven't updated my build thread in a while since I've been jumping around a lot and was waiting until I get it to a glider to post progress. That won't be long, but I had to share today's happenings...

The Santa Ana winds have the temperature at 100F with 2% humidity at the coast. I knew it would be a bad day... around 11AM, my wife called and said a wildfire broke out in Carlsbad. This is about a mile from our office; we voluntarily evacuated and I headed home, having to divert around the fire.

I have many friends who have had to evacuate, or are preparing to, but so far everone's safe. And just now... a fire broke out in San Marcos and is currently out of control. Cal State Univ San Marcos and the surrounding area are being evacuated; this is just across the street from the storage unit where my body panels are, and just a few miles from my friend's place where my build is. He's rushing home to take care of the dogs. Nothing to do but keep my fingers crossed...

2014-05-14 11.00.18.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus. I hope nothing will happen to your relatives and friends, and you.

2% humidity, how can it be so low, wow...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Frank. Santa Ana wind are brutal... the high pressure inland pushes the desert air over the mountains towards the coast... as it falls, it heats up and drys out, like one massive heat gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's the San Marcos fire, seen from my buddy Ted's (where my 818 is):

Even though the fire is 0% contained, I'm not too worried. His place is near the high school, which is an evacuation center, and my storage unit is on the closer side of the university (the buildings in the distance), which although evacuated, will be a major priority to save, I'm sure.

fire.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    California is very dry everywhere (maybe not near the Oregon border) the humidity here in Fresno yesterday was 8%. No fires here but eight crews headed South to help out.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the fires! I'm in Ramona (just east of San Diego) and we have had our share of fires.

Also, I am building an 818 in Ramona. I finished prepping donor parts, and should have my kit next month.
    I am also building an 818 in Mira Mesa with my boss. He gets his car next week!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been to California in 1 year, 3 1/2 months. It's good and bad. It's nice not traveling for work all the time, but it was fun to experience california living for a week at a time. Glad I don't have to worry about things like fires.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Completely off topic, but I really wish they would allow controlled burns out there like they do here on the east coast... thats one of the reasons why we dont have the huge loss of property/life from sudden fires like this...

Post Thanks / Like
    you have to control the underbrush...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I've lived here in San Diego all my life, you get used to the shakin & bakin. Six months from now when the rains come the news will covering the mudslides on the bare hillsides. Tornados and hurricanes, now that's scary stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've lived here in San Diego all my life, you get used to the shakin & bakin. Six months from now when the rains come the news will covering the mudslides on the bare hillsides. Tornados and hurricanes, now that's scary stuff!
    Tornados, Yes. They come out of nowhere and distroy everything.
    Hurricanes? no big deal, you get over a weeks advance notice, and as long as you dont have your house in a stupid place, its not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    Completely off topic, but I really wish they would allow controlled burns out there like they do here on the east coast... thats one of the reasons why we dont have the huge loss of property/life from sudden fires like this...
    You don't have Santa Ana winds (i.e. 'devil winds') like we do out out here after months and months of no rain. Completely different environment. Controlled burns can manage forest fires by regulating the undergrowth, but these are not forest fires (that are the result of decades of over-suppresion); they're wildfires in the dry chaparral. This stuff grows back in a few years, and would be impossible to manage all the open areas here with controlled burns. The forests up at higher elevations in CA are often managed with controlled burns, and fire is a required part of the Sequoia life-cycle, so even the national park has fires let burn intentionally now.

EDIT: from wikipedia:

Chaparral stand age does not have a significant correlation to its tendency to burn.[13] Low humidity, low fuel moisture, and high winds appear to be the primary factors in determining when, where, and how large a chaparral fire burns.

i.e. CA chaparral wildfires are a pretty much inevitable when the Santa Anas blow.
    Last edited by wleehendrick; 05-16-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added wiki info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Good luck with the fires! I'm in Ramona (just east of San Diego) and we have had our share of fires.

Also, I am building an 818 in Ramona. I finished prepping donor parts, and should have my kit next month.
    I am also building an 818 in Mira Mesa with my boss. He gets his car next week!
    Thanks, finally some more 818s in San Diego!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    Tornados, Yes. They come out of nowhere and distroy everything.
    Hurricanes? no big deal, you get over a weeks advance notice, and as long as you dont have your house in a stupid place, its not a big deal.
    I've been in SoCal over half my life now, and like George, you learn to deal with it and prepare for it. I moved out for graduate school from the northeast after the ice storm of '91.

Everyplace has natural disasters and they aren't always where you expect; the moment you get complacent, Mother Nature will put you in your place... Ice storm in Atlanta, Hurricane in NYC, Earthquake in Virginia, all in the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ted's place where my 818 is, seems safe. My storage unit is in an evacuation zone, but I'm not too concerned.

The Carlsbad fire is contained. Our friends who evacuated there are OK, but a home three doors down from them burned.

IMG_1190.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    No natural disasters here in Maine... big snow and Ice storms, plenty of prep time, if no power the food is fine in the cold, backup wood for heat and a 10,000 watt generator, floods in spring, don't build in a flood plane.

Now I do have to plow the white stuff between 3 and 14 times a year. (29 years, same house, experience) I do have backups for all equipment, plow truck, J Deere tractor with 47" blower, manual 24" blower, plenty of shovel, DC sump backup, propane heater backups, extra tanks, 60 gallons of gas on hand at all times etc...
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 05-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That picture is insane Lee. Did you shoot that?
    The sky is a dark orange in Newport today. It's raining small pieces of ash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea dude, that's a pretty epic photo, hope everyone will be ok

Ted's place where my 818 is, seems safe. My storage unit is in an evacuation zone, but I'm not too concerned.

The Carlsbad fire is contained. Our friends who evacuated there are OK, but a home three doors down from them burned.

IMG_1190.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That picture is insane Lee. Did you shoot that?
    No, a friend texted it to me; that was taken 5 miles from Ted's.

The sky is a dark orange in Newport today. It's raining small pieces of ash.
    Yeah, I had left my rear fascia out on our back patio working on the tail lights, etc... it's now covered with ash!

The one benefit is that the sunsets will be gorgeous for a few days, and the moon-rise last night was spooky through the smoke.
    Last edited by wleehendrick; 05-16-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    No natural disasters here in Maine... big snow and Ice storms, plenty of prep time, if no power the food is fine in the cold, backup wood for heat and a 10,000 watt generator, floods in spring, don't build in a flood plane.
    I went to camp in Maine as a kid... in the summers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast