BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Edelbrock E-Street Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Edelbrock E-Street Heads

Guys be advised the Edelbrock E-Street heads are experiencing valve spring breakage, which Edelbrock tech, Ron attributes to users running Hyd roller lifters. I have a set of the heads not installed yet. I found out about the problems by a post on the Corral web site. After discussing this with Ron at Edelbrock, he informed me the heads are not to be run except with hyd flat tappets, or apparently, valve spring breakage will occur. I read him the ad and instructions that came with my heads that did not specify or restrict the heads to hyd flat tappets only. Edelbrock does not offer a better spring for this head, nor offered to correct the potential problem on my uninstalled heads. I asked him, where that left me? I was told, I could have the spring seat machined out for a larger spring and buy larger springs and retainers. Ron finally, with some persuasion, took my name and number. Since this was not done voluntarily, I doubt any corrective action will be taken. I am posting this in an effort to encourage you to research the issue, before investing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with Dave from Edelbrock. Dave said the E Street head springs ARE compatable with hyd roller cams. The limitations are the 550 lift and 5500 rpm. The seat pressure is 125, max lift pressure 325 and installed height is 1.75. Apparently these limits have no margin of error. I was surprised and appreciated Edelbrock calling back on the situation, but I have no confidence in the springs and will change them before putting the heads on. Being realistic about this, I doubt there is a street performance engine out there that will not see more than 5500 rpm. These heads are probably best suited for a stock engine replacement in a pickup or stock 5.0 motor. I am really torn between selling the heads and going with a different brand or upgrading the springs and valves. Edelbrock does not have a spring upgrade for this head. This head would definitely be better bought bare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found a drop in replacement spring of much higher quaility that will provide performance and peace of mind.
    K Motion K-750

Post Thanks / Like

E streets are a waste

I was hell bent on picking up a set of e streets for my budget build 5.0 online you fine alot of people that rave about that as well as alot of people who talk major smack them the way i look at it in order to make these heads handle a roller cam motor you need valve springs the set that edelbrock told me i needed were $100 and they said still i cannot take these heads over 5500 rpm which is a joke because thats less than the stock red line and with the valve springs you have already spent close to $1100 maybe a little under when you can buy a set of trick flow twisted wedge's with the dual coil valve springs for $1200 or even the performer rpm's my suggestion is just do what ever it takes to shell out the extra 1-$200 it will make a world of difference you can take them to 6500 rpm and they are warrantied to use with hydraulic roller cams im picking up a set of trick flows myself im glad i discovered it before i wasted my time and money on e streets

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through exercise a couple years building a stroker. I really wanted to keep costs down even if it meant losing a few ponies. Edelbrock came out with E-street to compete with the chinese heads floating around. They are only meant to be better than those, and I believe they are.

I couldn't see how to get what I wanted out of the E-street, so I bit the bullet and went with the RPM heads. I put them on a 331 stroker with a Comp Cams XR276 hydraulic roller cam.

I couldn't be happier. The power is borderline insane.

My advise, sell the E-streets on ebay. Like you said, great for a pickup or stock engine.