FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  64
Likes Likes:  146

View Poll Results: Startup with new ID1050x or previous EV14s?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engine startup with new 1050cc injectors

0 0%
  • Engine startup with previous known 550cc EV14s

0 0%

Thread: Frank818 -1993 VW VR6 Turbo donor- Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have switched myself into fixing/upgrade mode.

Therefore I also worked on my cooling issue. With the help of a few of you regarding OEM Subaru fan assembly I was able to gather enough data to point me into one direction. Since my rad is not OEM and the anchor points of OEM assemblies don't fit with my rad, I searched for something different.

I wanted to minimize time on this fix and maximize results. I found a guy on ebay, he's American! He is building me a CUSTOM shroud and will fit 2-12" 1400CFM each fans.

$_57.jpg$_57.jpg

I sent him the ebay listing of my rad, thank god it was still there 5 years later! And I also did precise measurements for him.
    I will be able to bolt that shroud on the rivnuts at the top and bottom of the rad. It will cover the entire core.
    I could have gone with 1 standard fan and 1 heavy duty 2000CFM fan, but the standard fan draws 10amps each and the heavy 15amps. I am limited at 25amps unless I remove the water tank and build a relay which I didn't want to do.

2800CFM total should be enough to cool down a 5.0-litre American V8 and since I am not racing, I believe that's gonna be enough, providing I make sure fresh air constantly flows through the rad.
    I was so naive to think one 14" 1800CFM fan without a shroud would cool the engine down. It's not even sufficient for a V6 and I guess that Chinese fan does not blow 1800CFM as advertised.

This fix should be easy to perform and will save me time to fix the head gasket/valve cover leaks. That's my goal.
    Last edited by Frank818; 09-15-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021