FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission Selection

Post Thanks / Like

Question Transmission Selection

Hi All,

I will be going with the Ford Racing 306 engine, and initially was matching it with the T-5 transmission.

However, appears due to shipping costs to Hawaii for the T5, the TKO 600 from Ford Racing will cost almost the same price.

- Is there any downside going with the TKO 600?

- Is it still a rather straight forward installation for the MK4 (driveshaft, frame, etc) with the engine I have selected?

- If the TKO 600 is recommended, any recommendation on clutch, bell housing, etc to order?

Thanks,

KauaiMK4

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would the T5 cost more to ship then the TKO? Or is the TKO already there?
    No real downside. I think you have to specify to FFR that your using it if your ordering the complete kit. It makes a difference with the driveshaft.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply Mike.

For some reason, some vendors are able to drop ship certain items to Hawaii as if it were part of the lower 48. In this case free shipping is offered for the TKO 600, but not the T-5. Shipping quotes are about $500, so am seriously considering getting the TKO 600 for about the same price. The TKO 600 appears to be more heavy duty, but have also read threads about it being less smooth shifting, etc. Then there is the issue of it being more versatile in shifter location.

I am still on the fence and not sure which way to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    The TKO is bigger and heavier than the T5. If you're building a street car, that probably won't matter much.

I would go with the TKO. It is a little bit notchy, but I like it that way. I think stock transmissions feel rubbery and vague. I would describe feel as more accurate and precise, rather than notchy.

The other advantage to the TKO is that you can't kill it. Won't matter how many high rpm launches or hard shifts you make, it will still keep on working. No matter what you manage to break anywhere else in the drive line, the transmission will continue to work properly. There's a lot to be said for that, I think.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com