Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 289 crate motor and transmission combo

Post Thanks / Like

289 crate motor and transmission combo

I'm thinking of going with this 289 motor (http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/289_350dropAL.html) and need a transmission to go along with it. Is a rebuilt/remanufactured T-5 going to be strong enough or do I need to go with a Tremec TKO 500/600? Also, is there an ideal gear ratio setup for daily driving but can still have fun with? I have a modified T-5 in my Mustang geared like such...1) 3.39 2) 2.00 3) 1.33 4) 1.00 5) 0.74 F/D) 3.73, and it isn't ideal for cruising but winds up and screws off the line.

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

A T5-Z from Ford Racing would work for the 350 HP 289 that you are looking at for one of our cars. However, that is about the top of the range for a T5 transmission with out upgrading the gears from the guys at Astro Performance or G-Force. If you were thinking of upgrading that engine down the road, than the TKO-500 would be the trans of choice. Because of the lighter weight of a Factory Five, tall gears like 3.73's and 4.10's are typically not needed, a 3.55 is typically recommended for the street, which will work well with most 5-speed transmission gearing.

Thank You
    Dan@FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    How about 3.27? And if I decide to go the route of 4.6 DOHC setup instead, how will those power plants translate to the street?