Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: The Start of a Journey - Metros Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb The Start of a Journey - Metros Build Thread *It breathes!*

I've decided to build an 818 because building a kit car is a bucket list item for me. I chose the 818 because of the focus on being lightweight and great power potential of the EJ motors.

In the past I've had an STi with few modifications, turbocharged s2000 with 422rwhp, and LS powered rx7. These cars were all fun and had their own perks and drawbacks. I'm hoping my 818 covers the positive attributes of most of these cars without the drawbacks.

I'm currently slated for August 14th completion of my 818 kit. I'm really hoping that Factory Five Racing continues to up their production abilities to get these kits out faster. In the mean time I need to strip the donor and prepare all the parts needed for the 818. In preparation for this project I've hung several new shop lights and bought a 60 gallon Quincy single stage air compressor.

This weekend I washed my 2002 Bugeye WRX donor car to be parked and stripped. It's always easier to work on a clean car. Here are her last rights.

I purchased the car a few months ago and drove it around to get a feel for it and also make sure everything was working as it should be.

2002 WRX
    -vf34
    -Turbo xs FMIC
    -MRT Turboback
    -Kinesis wheels
    -Putting down 243awhp - to start.

This weekend I also built my 818 build trolley. When the frame is delivered it will rest here so that I can move it while working on it if desired.

Insert 818 here:

My experience level: I've done a lot of suspension work over the past few years while building the last 3 cars. I replaced all the suspension bushings on my rx7 in addition to the normal coilovers, etc. However, I've never pulled an engine/transmission out of a car. I will be learning a lot throughout this project but am confident I'll be able to put together a very clean build.

But just in case, I've recently become friends with the guys at Mach V Motorsports in Sterling,VA. These guys have a ton of experience with the subaru community and do things right, instead of just getting them done. They're extremely trust worthy and will make recommendations based on your situation regardless of whether it's going to make them more or less money. I'm considering them my golden parachute if I get into a situation where I need a true expert to help me out.

I'll be posting updates here periodically on how stripping my wrx is coming, rehab'ing the donor parts, and finally my 818 build.
    Last edited by metros; 07-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.