Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Start of a Journey - Metros Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb The Start of a Journey - Metros Build Thread *It breathes!*

I've decided to build an 818 because building a kit car is a bucket list item for me. I chose the 818 because of the focus on being lightweight and great power potential of the EJ motors.

In the past I've had an STi with few modifications, turbocharged s2000 with 422rwhp, and LS powered rx7. These cars were all fun and had their own perks and drawbacks. I'm hoping my 818 covers the positive attributes of most of these cars without the drawbacks.

I'm currently slated for August 14th completion of my 818 kit. I'm really hoping that Factory Five Racing continues to up their production abilities to get these kits out faster. In the mean time I need to strip the donor and prepare all the parts needed for the 818. In preparation for this project I've hung several new shop lights and bought a 60 gallon Quincy single stage air compressor.

This weekend I washed my 2002 Bugeye WRX donor car to be parked and stripped. It's always easier to work on a clean car. Here are her last rights.

I purchased the car a few months ago and drove it around to get a feel for it and also make sure everything was working as it should be.

2002 WRX
    -vf34
    -Turbo xs FMIC
    -MRT Turboback
    -Kinesis wheels
    -Putting down 243awhp - to start.

This weekend I also built my 818 build trolley. When the frame is delivered it will rest here so that I can move it while working on it if desired.

Insert 818 here:

My experience level: I've done a lot of suspension work over the past few years while building the last 3 cars. I replaced all the suspension bushings on my rx7 in addition to the normal coilovers, etc. However, I've never pulled an engine/transmission out of a car. I will be learning a lot throughout this project but am confident I'll be able to put together a very clean build.

But just in case, I've recently become friends with the guys at Mach V Motorsports in Sterling,VA. These guys have a ton of experience with the subaru community and do things right, instead of just getting them done. They're extremely trust worthy and will make recommendations based on your situation regardless of whether it's going to make them more or less money. I'm considering them my golden parachute if I get into a situation where I need a true expert to help me out.

I'll be posting updates here periodically on how stripping my wrx is coming, rehab'ing the donor parts, and finally my 818 build.
    Last edited by metros; 07-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the FFR family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your donor is in much better shape than mine was. Time to invest in a engine hoist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fray!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas!

Put my engine hoist together last week, it's just not in the picture. Need to put the engine stand together.

Today I took off the rear doors and stripped them of the necessary parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    A new kid in the family.

Your trolley, looks like all 4 corners are of the same height? I think you would benefit from having the rear higher. There is a thread on building a trolley.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can always add more height or 'posts' that are smaller in specific spots.

The only trolley thread I found didn't have specifics on height. Share a link?

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, my search was borked with using 'dolley' instead of dolly. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look what I picked up today! It took MachV less than a week to get this turbo in from Blouch, set up as requested. This particular turbo is a Blouch 18g xt. I opted for the ceramic coating on the hot side, 15psi actuator spring, and 7cm housing.

Holding something that is going to spin that fast and thinking of how tight it must have been engineered to perform is just cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome turbo

:thumbsup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What kind of power you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially I was thinking 300-325rwhp. But since I have invested in an STi transmission I decided on shooting a little higher. Hoping to be tuned very conservatively for 350 rwhp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That will be a great number and a serious amount of power on tap. I have between 250-300whp a solid guess until dyno and it can get loose at will, grated not really warm driving surface currently, but it was 60 degrees and I could still bake at will with the Rs3 or the S drive. Btw it was a blast ever time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I shouldn't have parked my car in Tijauna!

Progressing faster than I anticipated.
    Last edited by metros; 11-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been quite awhile since I've updated this build thread. I've been posting on NASIOC more frequently.

Since my last post I've:

Added this guy to my family

Made a ton of progress on tearing apart my donor.

-All body panels are removed.
    -Engine is out
    -Transmission is out
    -Engine is starting dismantle
    -Wiring harness removal in progress
    -Interior is mostly removed - I'm procrastinating working on removing the dash.
    -Gathered a lot of parts that I'll be using in my build.
    -Sold a few parts here and there

Still need to sort:
    -Brakes that I'll be using on my 818
    -Seats
    -Powdercoating and revival of parts
    -Power steering removal
    -Rear end removal
    -Decide on paint color and then choose wheel color of MachV wheels.

Overall it's coming along really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quite a few new babies on this forum. That's amazing congrats to you and your new little bundle of joy. We are expecting our first baby together any day now, same with my kit...any day now.
    Neat that you can add a notch in your belt for engine removal! I too recently added my first notch in that department with my now dismantled donor car. What are your build plans on the motor?
    Have you looked into the hotlist to speed up your delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to you as well. Hope all goes well for your family. Hope your hospital chair bed was better than mine.

I was pretty happy with the amount of work I got done today. Feel like I'm on a good pace. I actually had my kit completion date moved up to March, which is the earliest I could really take it. That'll give me time to refurb and clean all my donor parts and my best friend returns stateside and can get his rx7 out of my garage.

Build wise I'm doing a blouch 18g and mild supporting mods. I'll also be using an sti 6 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Added this guy to my family
    You better wake him up, he's not going to be of any help if he sleeps all the time!

Congrats.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats & welcome to the lunacy! My wife just asked how anyone has time to work on a car with a new arrival, I just smiled and didn't say anything (safer that way).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new addition! You are running two projects simultaneously, one will take a lifetime!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    That's very true. One takes my energy during the day and the other drains me at night. So worthwhile though.

Most of my project time has come in 1-2 hour spurts working as fast as I can. Yesterday was the first day I got several hours in the shop.

Thanks for the congrats all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the kid! Obligatory pics of the kiddie in the 818 when the seats are installed. Just don't tell the wife.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cute Kid! He will be asking for the keys to the 818 before you know it. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats!!!, I got a three year old daughter and a son due in May, good luck with everything!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing to make fairly good progress. This past weekend I dissected all of the rear suspension/brakes, removed the dash/cluster and continued working the harness free. There isn't much more that I need to remove from the donor. Still need the steering rack, wiring harness, ABS module and ABS sensors.

High point - My impact gun removing the long bolts that hold the rear lateral links and hub together. Air tools are extremely satisfying.

This guy loves helping strip the wrx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: My donor has long been finished and sold last weekend. It's nice to have some open garage space for parts re-furb now that the shell is gone. I've done a lot of work selling parts and recouped a LARGE portion of my initial investment. After all is said and done I should come out with spending between $1000-1500 on all of my donor parts. I never thought I would be able to recoup that much. Of course those funds have all gone for new parts, tools, and other items. See below.

You know it's a good day when you arrive home from work and find these waiting at your door:

Front and Rear, 4pot kit with 2 piece rotors - should do well in stopping this lightweight car:

Very Cool Parts! Trailing arms to allow wider rear wheels:

The above trailing arms will help me run Mach V "Awesome" wheels - They're going to require some modifications to work, but I think they're sharp, they're pretty lightweight and the price is right.

More updates to come this weekend. I'm in the process of de-powering the steering rack and painting parts/installing new bushings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my. Yet another set of wheels that look good on an 818. The only bad ones I've seen yet are SSR Comp-C. Which are what I have lying around. Frustrating.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the awesome/wicked awesome combo seems to be a great fit.

I think the matte black would look pretty rad.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on selling the donor shell and sweet brakes!

Post Thanks / Like
    What finish is on those Mach V wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    The above picture is their silver finish. But they also have matte black and gold.

I'm planning on using the gold version of the awesome wheels. FYI the "awesome" is 17x9 +42 offset and the "wicked awesome" is 18x9.5 +42 offset. I'm going to stick with the 17x9, which is just shy of 18 lbs each.

As seen here: http://www.fastwrx.com/mavawwh.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have my kit this weekend!

This past weekend I was working in overdrive trying to prepare parts before the kit arrives. I'll still have plenty of work to do on donor parts when the kit arrives but I did get a good amount accomplished.

I farmed some of the refurbing process out to Mach V Motorsports, who is local to me. Mach V installed new bearings in all 4 knuckles, new balljoints and new ARP studs from an EVO 8. The EVO studs use a coarser thread which will help prevent cross threading when frequently changing wheels for track/street. I also needed 2 new hubs out of the 4, which explains 2 shiny hubs and 2 POR15 hubs.

All hubs were wire brushed and prepped using POR15 Metal Prep, which eats away the contaminants, etches the metal and leaves a zinc coating. Pretty neat stuff. The POR15 shouldn't have any issues adhering for a long long time.

Lateral links - Removed all the old bushings and have some TiC graphite impregnated bushings ready to install. Lateral links were also all wire brushed and etched with POR15 Metal Prep prior to paint.

I knew those old refrigerator racks would come in handy!

Transmission - PPG Helical gear built 5 speed. Thoroughly degreased and also prepped with the previously mentioned POR15 Metal Prep. Can you tell I love this stuff?

3 coats of VHT Engine Paint, came out looking brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work! Especially for a sleep-deprived daddy.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You may want to wire wheel the face of that painted hub to make sure your wheel sits flat.

Also make sure you top coat that POR or it will fade

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad thing to think of on prepping the hub surface. I have some 2 inch 3m pads for my angle grinder to level the hubs out if necessary.

I'm not planning to topcoat as these parts will all be under the car and out of direct sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I POR'd the engine bay of my 73 Vega and even with the hood on and very little exposure to the sun it still faded after a few years. Didn't look bad, just not shiny. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Success!

On Saturday I was on the road at 1:30am in order to reach Factory Five before they closed at noon. I arrived to find a few other guys that made the journey to pick up their new project as well. The staff at Factory Five took me on a tour of the factory, which was an impressive facility.

I also got to see the showroom full of Factory Five creations to include hot rods, cobra replicas, GTM, and 818!

Love the candy red color!

My new project at last!

All loaded up on my build trolley and strapped down several times over to the trailer. There was also a considerable amount of boxes full of parts.

After picking up we started the journey back and stopped at a hotel in Providence. Turned out the Marriot I had made reservations at wasn't in the greatest part of town. Parking your new project in a lot with broken side window glass, a hypodermic needle, and signs stating "management not responsible for items stolen from vehicles" doesn't exactly allow you to settle in to catch a few Z's. We unloaded all the boxes out of the truck into the hotel room and chained the frame to the trailer with lock. After checking it frequently throughout the night I found everything intact in the morning. Thanking my lucky stars on that one.

Today we drove the 8 additional hours back home without much incident. Just 40 minutes out from being parked in my garage it started snowing heavily. The kit had accumulated a fair amount of slush cover and boxes in the bed of the truck had an inch of snow resting on them. We quickly unloaded the truck and got the boxes into the garage. I cranked my heater up and did the best I could to dry the aluminum panels. Not a big issue because they were going to be painted anyways.

Tucked in for the night in a warm garage:

After a long weekend I'm ready to crash and start inventorying the parts boxes tomorrow!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast