Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Start of a Journey - Metros Build Thread

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you've inspired me to put my doors together, all the parts are just taking up so much room.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's labor intensive to get everything to fit together nicely, but satisfying once complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last several weeks have produced little time in the garage and little motivation to get out there. I've taken another promotion from my previous position and lined myself up for some great opportunity for further promotion in the next year or two. With that said, I'm putting in more time at work than I ever have as I feel behind the 8-ball with taking on a bunch of new responsibilities/tasks.

I have taken up the driver lightening work again as a means to de-stress after hard days at work.

The time I have spent in the garage has been re-completing some previously finished work. I took apart the steering rack again to check thread engagement with the outer tie rod ends. I'm now satisfied and comfortable with the amount of thread engagement on each side. I have tracked down a brake fluid leak and addressed that.

Forward progress:
    -I've shaved off the casting marks of the front fenders. This was more labor intensive than I had anticipated. Sanded down smooth all the way to wet sanding with 1500 grit. The way it feels now I think I could even buff it out back to having a gloss finish. But that wouldn't address the black lines where there wasn't enough gel coat in the casting marks.

Before:

After:

Currently working on lining up the front end. I've gotten it much closer to finished but I'm still not happy with a few areas.

The fender to hood gaps are fairly consistent and can be perfected with some minor tweaks.

However, the corner of hood/fender/door/windshield still doesn't look right. Seems like there is a big gap there that I haven't worked out yet. I'm open to any tips or recommendations from 818 builders that have addressed this.

Otherwise I'm inching along as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that corner looks like that on most cars. I chalk it up to design decisions that didn't focus on optimizing that junction. Most OEM cars seem to have the leading edge of the door even with the back edge of the windshield frame. With the doors wrapping up and around the windshield frame ends up floating instead of being able to sit flush with the fender which would hide that gap.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been quite awhile since I've updated my build threads. Over summer I took some time off from the build as it started to feel like work instead of a hobby. My time has been limited since starting back at it but I have been making a bit of progress.

I have finished leveling all of the body panels. When FFR pulls them out of the molds they have more lip than necessary, which creates panels that aren't flush with one another. Some careful measuring/planning and a belt sander has rectified that situation.

I have also finished the mounting of 4 of the quick release latches (the small black circles) that are holding the engine/rear cover down. I'm thinking I'll need 2 more for the engine cover, just to be sure it's not moving around while driving.

I've done some finish work in creating a carbon overlay for the center console and wired/installed the gauges.

This weekend I put together and installed most of the hood hinge that I'll be using. This is coming after many hours positioning the front end until I'm somewhat satisfied with it's fit. Needs just a touch of trimming at the rear of the hood corner, but otherwise it's not too bad. I'm not sure if you ever get truly 100% satisfied in these types of builds.

The hood hinge requires you to get creative in adding some studs to the inside of the hood. I've purchased some fancy hardware, high end 3m panel bond, and fiber glass to reinforce once that's all in place. Once all is finished with this it will tilt forward to open, which I always think is cool when I see that at car shows.

Hardware (resting position):

Open:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hood prepped and adhesive mount studs:
    I roughed up the mounting surface in preparation for the panel bond. I'll be spraying the surface with heat/sound deadening after the studs are in place.

I've trimmed the studs for the front upper control arms so that I can align it to actually have some negative camber instead of positive. Also purchased a longacre bubble tool for alignments. I'm sure it won't give a spot on alignment but it'll at least give me some more direction in giving it a garage guesstimate.

Installed a rear coolant overflow container.

Finished permanent install of the side sails. Using gold steel rivets to hold on this cover/reinforcement. Goes with the gold wheels

Next up I'll be installing the hood aerocatch flush latches to keep that in place. Also plan to start focusing on the headlight mounting/installation. Haven't figured out the wiring for the new headlights yet and how to modify my beautiful iWire harness to accommodate the updated lights. At some point I need to add the Holley Hydramat that I picked up to keep the fuel pump fed. Then on to splash shields.

My son has turned three this month (same as my car build). He will take you down if you sneak up on him!

Can I get that punch list widdled down before driving season?
    Last edited by metros; 12-18-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Permanent side sails installation. I wish I could do that, but requires too frequent removal for me.

Remind me your black sound deadening is?

Your hood clearance relative to the fenders is awesome. That too I wish I could do it but I need clearance for my wiper so I need to keep the hood as high as possible. Too bad...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Dei spray sound deadener

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Over summer I took some time off from the build as it started to feel like work instead of a hobby.
    Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I took a break from the build this fall by getting my motorcycle license and fixing up an old honda cb750 into a cafe racer, it's nearly done. It was a nice change of pace and talk about a piece of cake compared to the 818 (10x cheaper too). Glad to see you back at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updates!

I have bonded the studs to the hood using 3M 08115. This stuff is very impressive for being a 2 part epoxy. It requires a special gun to apply the correct amount of the 2 parts and a mixing tip that spirals the mixture together probably 50x before exiting the tip. Bonding strength is very impressive and this stuff requires a hammer and chisel to remove from dirty concrete (garage floor).

Just to ensure the hood studs were fully bonded and had no chance of freeing up while driving, I fiberglassed over the bases that were previously bonded (above). This was my first try at fiberglass. If I were going to try again I would spend a little more time working air out from under the fiberglass. At the time of application it didn't seem like I had as much as after everything cured. But since the fiberglass was really over and above necessity I'm not terribly concerned.

After that was all cured I sprayed the unfinished section with sound deadener just like the rest of the hood.

I have made some progress with the headlights, just nothing to really show via picture. I've got the mounting holes all drilled and actual headlights adjusted to fit the pods correctly. Now I'm taking a look at the wiring to see how to make that work.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow there's a name I haven't seen in a minute. Glad you are still at it. Smart move, glassing over the studs. I have had several studs pop off on me - even ones that had low load on them (ones that were holding Mechie's hood louvers in place). But after I started glassing over them, I haven't had an issue yet, even on the studs that are forcing the headlights upward and have a ton of pressure on them. Your's should hold great.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^That's good to hear. That's also why I went with 4 studs on each side. Extra holding strength spread over a wider load.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew you'd like the 8115. I mix it by hand and gauge proportions by eye, maybe not the best it works pretty good.

Your hood is awesome man, it's awesome. With 4 studs per side there's no way this thing will fall off. I noticed 2 per side is enough, although I'd like that added security of 2 more. Maybe another day after I register.

Keep up the good work like that.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been quite awhile since I've posted any updates. My time the past several months has been extremely limited. Promotion at work is great for the fiscal budget, not so great on the time budget.

The hinges are finished and installed. Since my last update I have bonded aluminum rod to further stiffen the hood. I was finding it very flexible when tipped forward.

Picture: All covered with sound/heat deadening now, of course.

I need to take a picture of the hood tipped forward to show how awesome it looks! I've always had a thing for hoods that opened this way. That and center exit exhaust systems.

This weekend I installed a windshield wiper that will provide enough to get me past inspectors. This car won't ever be driven in rain, and if I get caught in a storm then I just need to drive fast enough to stay dry.

You can also see the wiring retro that has been finished for my headlight upgrade. Now I just need to finish the headlight buckets up and then I can mount/plug in.

To do:
    -Install holley hydramat so that I don't have any fuel starvation.
    -Install splash shields F&R
    -Adjust e-brake to increase hold.
    -Add more mounting hardware to door panel/door.
    -Re-align door panels.
    -Install aerocatch hood latches and prop hood slightly.
    -Install seats permanently and install harnesses
    -Install subfloor

At that point I think I'll have enough done to start the registration process at least. Maybe some of these things can be worked on while I'm working through the registration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man your gaps are thin, I love it, so precise. I wish I could spend time on that too.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    They're not as nice as I would like them. I need to get it out in the sun for an afternoon again and re-adjust some of the panels. I've haven't taken it on a cruise around the neighborhood in too long as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work on stiffening the hood. On your list, move the front splash guards down until the doors and headlights are done because they block the door hinges and the back of the headlights.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey metros, I know exactly what you mean about taking a break..... I have been doing the same on and off trying to fit lots of other aspects in.
    Now that I'm back.... its more fun again.

I like what you did with the door trim and the gold rivets. looks good.
    Also, I'm at the point where I am going to start sanding the body, and doing the fibreglass work. I just pulled off my hood yesterday to do the extra glass. Definitely needed. I wouldn't want it to pull loose at high speed.

Yesterday I did my alignment, today, bodywork starts.
    good luck.
    Harley
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips Pete. Having the right sequence helps efficiency.

I'd like more time to work on the car. I've been doing essentially management jobs at work with around 40 direct reports. Our new manager starts tomorrow so I'll be able to have a more manageable workload once bringing her up to speed. Its good for the fiscal budget, not so much the time budget.

Thanks Harley, I enjoy finding those little touches when putting the car together. I feel that with more experience on builds of this level I'll be able to better foresee opportunities for these kinds of little details. Good luck with the body work. Have experience in doing that kind of work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Build updates! This thread has been silent far too long. I have since fixed all the broken images.

Had some good time over the long Memorial Day weekend to get some work done in the garage.

-Replaced some hoses running from the remote brake reservoir to the master cylinder. Re-tightened some of the fittings as well. Think I have finally fully addressed an annoying brake fluid leak that I had.

-All of the front splash guards and under panels have been fitted, drilled, coated with bed liner to sound deaden them and installed permanently. This included creating some air dams to surround the air to water intercooler radiator. Any air coming into the nose of the car will now have to go through both radiators, which will improve the efficiency of the cooling system.

Fitted

Laid out for coating

Start

Installed/finished:

Only thing missing is the front bumper to fill in this opening.

Front wheel well start

Post Thanks / Like
    Front wheel wells finished

-Also had a chance to wrap up the hood pin install. Turned out pretty good. I wouldn't have chosen this exact location, but the mounts from FFR are here, which doesn't leave a lot of choice without cutting re-welding. The front of the hood is hinged.

The past 9 months has really been focused on prepping our home to sell. We are closing on our home sale and new home next week. The new home cuts our commute more than half and has 3 acres - plenty of room for a proper workshop.

This little man is now 4 years old and still loves going to the track with me.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post

This little man is now 4 years old and still loves going to the track with me.
    And he always will loving going to the track with you.

My son is nearly 20, and still loves going to the track with me and his Uncle Nard (Bernard).
    He even met a young lady at college who now loves going with him, so how cool is that?
    You are not building a car, but memories with your son instead.
    The car is just langniappe!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-28-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^Very true. Can't wait until he's old enough to start working alongside me.

Had another really productive weekend with the car.

Got the headlights wrapped up.

Next came the seats/harnesses.

Start:

Finished: Upper firewall was also installed.

Maybe I just needed a rapidly approaching deadline (moving) to get some things done on the car. Now back to debating whether I drive the car to the new house or pay to have it transported....

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote drive it!... but you may want to have a tow hitch ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the nice clean work on the air dams around the radiator but I don't see any piece blocking the air gap between the radiator and hood. Between my donor radiator and the hood is a gap of over 4 inches so I made this baffle.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I planned on making something similar to what you did but found a better design to carry out the same purpose. It may have been posted on the 818 Facebook page. Someone created an aluminum dam for the topside that lined up with the bumper opening and then bent upward to mount at the top of the radiator. Hard to explain but carries out the same purpose.

I really want to drive it. But then the sensible side makes me second guess. I don't have anything arranged for the front end to be towed with

Post Thanks / Like
    Welding on some better support structure for a tow hook has been on my to-do list for a while now, I consider it a necessity. Otherwise, if you get stranded, you'll have to get towed backwards by a strap attached to the roll bar - ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that will be after it's registered. Eye on the prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    The past several weeks have been a whirlwind between getting this car ready to drive to the new home, moving, and even a vacation. Time to update this thread!

The front end all wrapped up before transporting the vehicle. All the splash shields are finished/installed and the top fender guards are shown here.

Added a few speed holes to allow hot air to escape during the transport. Didn't think it would be absolutely necessary, but this only took 15 minutes and helped provide peace of mind.

Rear wheel wells were installed (unpictured).

Sound deadening for the floor pan under the seats. Scraps of boom mat were really useful for these weird spaces, in addition to the DEI spray.

At the new home! No mechanical issues, fires, scraping or conversations with the law. Success!

Car gets quite a few looks and even a thumbs up from a young boy on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    New garage is going to need some work to get right. I decided to do an epoxy coating on the floor before moving in. That is quite a project! The garage floor has had oil, grease, dirt, and grime for the past 30 years. I ground the really bad spots with a belt sander, degreased twice, and acid etched the floor twice before the coating. Turned out pretty good.

Before:

After:

Currently in the process of hanging numerous LED light bars. At the start it had one light bulb in the middle of the garage and the garage door opener light. I had trouble working in there in the middle of the day.

Many garage organizers are being installed as well as the lighting. Stay tuned for updates!

Vacation picture for good measure

31. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The garage floor looks nice! Did you do it yourself or have it done?

33. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats again on the new place, the new garage looks nice and wide! That must've been a fun drive too. So for your head light covers, did you end up painting the edge or doing vinyl?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I was hellbent on doing the floor before moving. Once all my tools were there it would've never happened.There was 30 years of neglect in that garage before I started. Ground the really bad spots, degreaser the whole thing 2x and acid etched the whole thing 2x. I used rustoleum product. I wish they gave you just a bit more product to go on a touch thicker. But otherwise I'm happy with it. I would recommend the antislip additive. I used it and the floor is still a bit slick when wet.

The headlight lenses have vinyl on the edges that a shop put on for me. I don't think paint would have come out nearly as nice, we'll at least rattle can paint.

36. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
    fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    did you do the clear on top? that made a big difference with me and the durability... if its not too late i would recommend.

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...SABEgIv9vD_BwE
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Garage looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've helped do an epoxy floor before, it's very hard work! I like the sound deadening on the inner fenders, but I'm curious to see how it holds up to rocks over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I did not do the clear coat on top. I considered it, but in reality I wouldn't have had enough time to get that done before we had to move in. I'm hoping and thinking that this will be durable enough until I can have a separate workshop built.

I'm having a good time organizing all of the yard tools on an entire wall of the garage and my tool collection on the other side of the garage. Still working on getting all the lights installed as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing to my car, but almost finished (is it ever really finished) getting my new garage organized.

Before:

After:

-Epoxy coated the floor
    -Added LED lighting - previous owner had 1 60w CFL light bulb in the entire garage.
    -Added fancy pegboard with slats - lots of organization options with these.
    -Fill with tools

Next up is adding 1.21 jigawatts of power to feed my compressor and future welding set up. Also need to get the wife's elliptical out of there.

Post Thanks / Like
    So this happened today! State Trooper came by to attach the VIN plate. At this point I can start the registration process - once I'm ready. I'm waiting on receipt of a tig welder that I ordered. I'd like to weld up my own exhaust. We'll see how practicing goes and if I can realistically learn that skill fast enough to do so.

Working on a punch list of items to wrap up prior to spring driving season.

My PM box awaits any recommendations for friendly inspection stations in or around Loudoun County. :derp:

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast