Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: JeromeS13's 818S

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome was the transmission worked on such as installing a differential? Just
    Wondering if the failure was caused by shear torque or some other possibly gear set up or differential bearings scattering from improper set up. Others have put down similar hp and torque numbers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Jerome was the transmission worked on such as installing a differential? Just
    Wondering if the failure was caused by shear torque or some other possibly gear set up or differential bearings scattering from improper set up. Others have put down similar hp and torque numbers...
    The transmission had never been opened. I can't vouch for the amount of abuse it suffered in it's sub 40K miles. But, I do know that the case had never been touched.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the tranny. Did you find the throwout bearing after the damage? The throwout bearing can seize and rip the snout off the case, happened to me. If you get a legacy gt transmission, get the Tranquil TSK3 kit. I would recommend getting it for any subaru transmission since the snout is aluminum and part of the case. I think Fred will give you a discount if you join legacygt.com.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru...leeve-kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Sorry about the trans. Grab a legacy GT 5 speed. I found my pair for $750ish each with 60k and 75k miles. Stronger gears- so far so good (knock on wood)
    Hey Chad, I recommend you definitely get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the tranny. Did you find the throwout bearing after the damage? The throwout bearing can seize and rip the snout off the case, happened to me. If you get a legacy gt transmission, get the Tranquil TSK3 kit. I would recommend getting it for any subaru transmission since the snout is aluminum and part of the case. I think Fred will give you a discount if you join legacygt.com.

I bought one of these kits too. As my wrx got into the upper mileage range, my throwout bearing would sometimes bind on the snout when actuating the clutch which caused at least 2 premature pressure plate failures. Essentially, the ring on the pressure plate that locks to the throwout bearing cracked both times because the throwout bearing was stuck on the snout. But at least I got good at doing clutch jobs :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick up a kit. Maybe I'll swap it out in the off season. It sucks, I just had the axles off and associated stuff. I could of pulled the trans really quickly.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an update on where mine failed at. 2012 WRX transmission.

818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's not supposed to look like that?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    It's not supposed to look like that?
    Only if you want to have One Flintstone Power (FP).
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to do another 5 speed or are you going to upgrade to a 6? What kind of numbers were you putting down when it blew?

The added weight of a six speed is a lot, and the extra gear really isn't needed for the 818 but they sure are bullet proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Are you going to do another 5 speed or are you going to upgrade to a 6? What kind of numbers were you putting down when it blew?

The added weight of a six speed is a lot, and the extra gear really isn't needed for the 818 but they sure are bullet proof.
    It's already been replaced with another 5 speed from an '06 WRX. It was on the same tune, making 340HP/390TQ to the wheels.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have started the process for getting the registration transferred to California. Looks like I'll have to reintegrate some of the wiring that I removed (and threw away), so that I can install the factory gauge cluster... FUN!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch... maybe a junkyard-sourced harness would save some time. Good luck, I haven't even started the wiring on mine yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Ouch... maybe a junkyard-sourced harness would save some time. Good luck, I haven't even started the wiring on mine yet.
    I've ordered a cluster harness from eBay. Hopefully I'll be able to resolve everything, as long as I have the plugs... On the plus side, I'll be able to sell my AiM Sport Pista separately. Woohoo!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    CA requires you run the OEM cluster?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    CA requires you run the OEM cluster?
    Not exactly. However, they do require that you have indicators for the exterior lights (blinkers, high beams, etc., as well as a parking brake light). While it wouldn't be too difficult to make something, I would rather just install the OEM gauge cluster. This will also help to lower the price point of my car and add some cash to my pockets. :-D
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks the same as me here. They don't mind about the cluster, but they do mind about indicators and pictographs, including yes that parking brake.
    Frank
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to make sure your mileage matches then if you don't have the stock cluster anymore. Mine broke but I got a different set and I'm just using less for the indicators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Not exactly. However, they do require that you have indicators for the exterior lights (blinkers, high beams, etc., as well as a parking brake light). While it wouldn't be too difficult to make something, I would rather just install the OEM gauge cluster. This will also help to lower the price point of my car and add some cash to my pockets. :-D
    Hi Jerome,

I haven't registered mine yet, but I remember Brandon failed the first time and got a laundry list of brake/light non-compliances. His second inspection at a different garage went fine without making any fixes. So, a lot depends on the inspector, and he registered a barebones R with no windshield in CA, so you might want to ask him for advice before committing to a lot of re-work.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Hi Jerome,

I haven't registered mine yet, but I remember Brandon failed the first time and got a laundry list of brake/light non-compliances. His second inspection at a different garage went fine without making any fixes. So, a lot depends on the inspector, and he registered a barebones R with no windshield in CA, so you might want to ask him for advice before committing to a lot of re-work.

Lee
    Definitely on the same page. I sent him a PM already and I'm just waiting to here back from him. I wish that I were closer to Sacramento, so I could just go to the same spots he did. Haha
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update on mine getting registered in California:

5 June 2015 - Made initial visit to DMV. They informed me of the process. I will need to get inspected by the CHP, a Brake and Lamp Inspection, and go see the BAR guys. They said that I should get a "certificate" in the mail with my sequence number (SB100 number? mine is 2015149) and that I need that before I schedule anything with the BAR guys (they'll need it). Same day I call and scheduled an appointment with the local CHP office for the first available (19 June 2015). I also inquire with the Brake and Lamp guys what they're looking for... Bummer, looks like I need internal indicators for my exterior lights (blinkers, high beams, etc., as well as a parking brake light). So, I proceed to re-wire the OEM gauge cluster and remove the AIM Sport dash.

19 June 2015 - I make my visit to the CHP with a little concern. I do not have a horn. I do not have wipers. I do not have airbags... CHP officer checks the VIN plate that was already assigned by Arizona and the mileage on the cluster. Ok, we're good. SUPER EASY! Sweet!

26 June 2015 - I finally have time to make an appointment for my Brake and Lamp inspection. Everything goes fine, except my passenger side headlight. It won't adjust up enough to pass the inspection. It seems that the adjusting mechanism is broken or dislodged. Driver side adjusts upwards just fine. I get a certificate for the Brake Inspection, and have to come back when I resolve the headlight issue. I ordered a replacement headlight off of eBay for $42.95. Hopefully this one isn't broken! Oh, and I do not have a hazard button installed (and all of those wires were removed). He reviewed the California Codes discussing the use of Hazard lamps. But nowhere does it state that you are required to have them.

As of today, 26 June 2015, I still haven't received a "certificate" with my SB100 information. California guys, how long did it take to get yours?
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    You should get it normally in 4-8weeks knowing Cali DMV. I'm right behind you at 2015158. Waiting on it to do my BAR inspection already did the CHP and brake and light. At least your initial DMV visit result in you getting a number. Yup you will need indicators for all those lights. You could just leave the aim dash in place and run a led for each light. That's what my gauge cluster has. I'm using speedhut gauges instead of stock and the brake and light guys waved me through. Hazard needs to be installed aswell and shouldn't take to much work to reintegrate.

On another note when did you make the move to Cali? Noticed it on your location but never asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got here in the middle of March.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice hopefully you get your number soon. At least your really close to the DMV headquarter. I would give it another week or two then start calling the DMV and asking for an update. Who knows though I asked for a refund for some fees I paid back in March and just got a check this week from the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info!
    I'm am also waiting on my DMV certificate. I think I'm about 3 weeks of waiting. I'm number 2015125.
    At least you have head light adjustments. The factory 5 ones have nothing. I just am hoping I pass the Brake & Light inspection. And I better call CHP for an appointment.
    Thanks for updates and details, keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Good info!
    I'm am also waiting on my DMV certificate. I think I'm about 3 weeks of waiting. I'm number 2015125.
    At least you have head light adjustments. The factory 5 ones have nothing. I just am hoping I pass the Brake & Light inspection. And I better call CHP for an appointment.
    Thanks for updates and details, keep them coming.
    The ones that I have ARE the FFR provided units. It's just weird that the driver side has tons of adjustment, while the passenger side has very little. That's why I assumed it was broken or something...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to look at mine more carefully. IIRC that was one of the reasons people were going to the Spyder lights, because of the adjustment.
    Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    The spyder headlights had the weird angle to them that many couldn't figure out. I went that route then went back to stick with a projector retrofit into the FFR headlights. I passed brake and light but want to upgrade to the new front end for ease of assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had my inspection with the BAR referee to determine the emission requirements on my car. The guy told me that this is the typical process with them: they'll get a copy of all of the paperwork that I have, they take some pictures of various parts of the car, and send all of that to the Sacramento office for review. Then, Sacramento makes a determination to grant/deny the SB100 certificate. He said that it takes a little while and that I would have to come back once Sacramento made the decision. But after he reviewed all of my paperwork and asked if I had pictures showing the building process (to prove that I put it together myself ), he said that he could approve it on the spot and give me the certification today! He said that rarely every happens at his location! Now I just need to turn all of my paperwork in to the DMV and get my title/plates! Woohoo!

818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME! Congrats now on getting through the process in two states.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    So jealous!
    Congratulations.

I'm going into the Referee on Thursday. I'll bring lots of pictures, papers, drawings, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go, congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    So jealous!
    Congratulations.

I'm going into the Referee on Thursday. I'll bring lots of pictures, papers, drawings, etc.
    Good luck!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Did they give you any headaches. Or was it just straightforward? I'm schedule for tomorrow and can't figure out what they would need to do for a 1.5hr appointment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Jerome Sir.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Nice. Did they give you any headaches. Or was it just straightforward? I'm schedule for tomorrow and can't figure out what they would need to do for a 1.5hr appointment.
    Everything was pretty straight forward, as long as you have all supporting documentation. I was only there for about 30 minutes or so.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I take it the brake and light inspection went smooth? You found a pretty cool Ref. I had to wait 6 weeks while Sacramento did their thing. Congrats Jerome you knocked that process out FAST!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    So I take it the brake and light inspection went smooth? You found a pretty cool Ref. I had to wait 6 weeks while Sacramento did their thing. Congrats Jerome you knocked that process out FAST!
    Yeah, I took care of the Brake/Lamp and CHP inspection quite a while ago. I'm about two months into the process right now, from the day that I initiated things with the DMV.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo!!!!!!!!!
    Frank