FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass vehicle kit car inspection

Post Thanks / Like
    The state VIN sticker doesn't have the serial number. The plate FFR sent me originally matches the new COO. I guess the only place the original serial number exists is in whatever files the state has retained.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still waiting on an answer from the MAC center on my car. Been over two month since I visited and still have not gotten an O.K. on my car. Driving on a 2 month old rejection sticker.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Final Chapter
    This should be my last post to this thread. The MAC center was in most ways the easiest step in the process. Both agents I dealt with were good guys who went out of their way to schedule me for a sunny day at my convenience, etc. Both apologized profusely for the hoops they were required to make me jump through, particularly the fact that it takes two trips to the MAC center and another to an inspection station to complete the process. As expected I was required to produce receipts for a new charcoal canister, oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Interestingly, they never checked to see that they are on the car. In fact, they never opened the engine cover. They did plug in their computer which registered no codes etc. I then went to my local inspection station where everything passed and I got a sticker, four months and 600 miles since my first call to the state police. A long saga with a happy ending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear. Sounds just like my experience. They really want t help us car guys.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at the stage of ordering my kit and hunting for the donor parts. I want to register my car in MA and hope to drive it everyday that there is not two feet of snow on the ground. I am looking at the different routes to find a good donor. I am almost sold on getting a donor pallet from PMP autogroup. It seems like they may have the cars already broken down to components and would just go through there inventory and pick out the parts that i need for the build. Long lead up but here is the question: what paperwork do i need to get from them to pass through inspection? do i need to get a title from them for im assuming the engine or ECU being the largest components or ones with electronic information on them. Can I register with just recipients and no donor title?

Also as a side note, how much are you paying for insurance and who insures you? Just looking for some ball park numbers and leads to track down so im not stuck with a fantastic car that I cant take out of the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NectarNick View Post
    I am at the stage of ordering my kit and hunting for the donor parts. I want to register my car in MA and hope to drive it everyday that there is not two feet of snow on the ground. I am looking at the different routes to find a good donor. I am almost sold on getting a donor pallet from PMP autogroup. It seems like they may have the cars already broken down to components and would just go through there inventory and pick out the parts that i need for the build. Long lead up but here is the question: what paperwork do i need to get from them to pass through inspection? do i need to get a title from them for im assuming the engine or ECU being the largest components or ones with electronic information on them. Can I register with just recipients and no donor title?

Also as a side note, how much are you paying for insurance and who insures you? Just looking for some ball park numbers and leads to track down so im not stuck with a fantastic car that I cant take out of the driveway.
    I don't know the specific answer to your question about what is needed if you don't go the salvage donor route, but expect that they will ask for receipts for major components. You might be sure the receipt for the engine has a serial number to be safe. I tried to outline my experience at the various steps in earlier posts to this thread. I had some problems getting it insured but ended up with American Collector Cars Ins. Paid about $700. Others I know were able to simply add their 818 to their existing policy. Like you I had some concerns about building a car I would never get to drive but after a lot of anxiety and hassle I'm having a blast driving, even on 30 degree New England mornings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread all. Lots of experience here that gives me insight on how to plan my project (currently in the dream phase of planning). Thanks for starting the thread Quiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a problem with the VIN inspection by the State Police Trooper here in Westfield. He is telling me that the car has to be completely done and painted. I tried telling him that it was white gel coat fiberglass and didn't really need to be painted. Also told him I might have it painted next winter in green. He told me that he was creating a record of the car and the color cannot be changed later. Any ideas ?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems as if they come up with a new rule every time. My car was in red gel coat and there were no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had plans on plastidiping my Mk4 initially so that the title will show the color it will be painted eventually. It's around 350 for everything that's needed. Might be something to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's just this Trooper who is insisting on it being painted. I am going to take a white gel coat panel to Westfield on Thurs and show him.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    If the first time he asked me if it was painted, I had said " yes it's white" then there probably would not have been an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also at any of the Mass inspections are they requiring a wiper or wipers? No top on car , not intending to drive in rain but you never know what the state will ask for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went for the Mass VIN inspection recently. Got rejected because I didn't have a title from the seller of the donor car. The seller had the title from original owner but seller never titled it in his name. Went to RMV and they wanted me to get a title in my name for donor car. Now I am back in line for another VIN inspection. Hopefully this time it passes. After that I turn in new title for kit car title.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got through the Mass VIN inspection here in Western Mass. There is only one inspection site for the western part of the state and only one day a week. After I got the VIN number I was able to get insurance from the same company that does my daily driver. Also got plates. Did a short test drive and the car was smoking and misfiring. I had to wait a few days until my son who knows Subaru engines had time to diagnose the problems. Loose connector on injector and slight oil leak. Then I got an alignment.
    Next time the sun comes out I go for safety and emissions inspection. I have no wipers yet so it probably will fail for that.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a third brake light and a single wiper assembly in to satisfy the emissions and safety inspector. Went back for re-inspection and now the guy is telling me I need window squirters to pass the inspection. The line on the inspection report says "wipers and cleaner check". Anybody have a design for a squirter using a Super Soaker and a long hose attached to wiper arm? It just has to work one day to get past the stupid inspection.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    You could make a garden sprayer work.

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-1002-4...garden+sprayer

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the new cat, new o2 sensors and new charcoal canister have to be OEM or can you get aftermarket stuff. Any recommendations? Ideally I could spend less on a better set with more performance.

Thanks,
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't need to be OEM. Receipts are more important than the items. They didn't even look at my car to see if they were installed, and I am aware of someone who had the cat sitting in the passenger seat. I have a charcoal cannister (GM) you can borrow, but you will still need a receipt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. Re-reading the thread I am seeing that one of the pieces you need is a title. I got my car as a donor palette and no title was included. Does anyone have experience with this. Can I show a receipt for the palette? Do I absolutely need a title for the donor and if so does anyone have an idea of how to get one if i can not get it from PMP which I got the donor palette from. As you can tell I know very little about car titles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if they will accept a receipt for the palette. That would beg the question of where the palette seller got the vehicle. I would think the people you got the palette from would have a title for their own protection and would be willing to send it to you. Alternatively, bring all your paperwork to the state police salvage inspection station and see if they are happy with what you have. I did this while waiting for my appointment and they were helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12