BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSD? yes/no opinions, types

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a JDM 5MT transmission from a 99/00 model, part#TY754VBAAA - first version of phase II. Can I use the same front diffs as the 02-05 USDM 5MTs do?

Post Thanks / Like
    My impression is the OBX is a cheap copy of the helical front diff that comes in the STi. Machining looks suspect from the pics I see and everyone says it must be "fixed" before use.
    I am also understanding that the WRX did not come with a LSD in the front. So odd for an AWD car and a LSD is virtually a must for the 818!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered one of the $250 OBX diffs from RSA Performance. I report back if the deal is real or too good to be true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The obx needs a upgrade to work correctly, check Erik's thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, already ordered.

At $250, I'm far more concerned that the vendor will ship me a brick with a tracking number and disappear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Thanks, already ordered.

At $250, I'm far more concerned that the vendor will ship me a brick with a tracking number and disappear.
    Lol, yeah maybe. Just do the upgrade and you will be satisfied. It would be a pain to install it and than all hell breaks loose in the case. Erik and many other subie threads have the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any idea where to get a 3.9 or 3.7 ring and pinion? While I'm in there, I'll have the perfect opportunity to swap. I have 4.444 final drive right now and I think lower would be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaime, when you say lower, you do mean a lower ratio, right? Not lower gearing? Lest anyone get confused...

Post Thanks / Like
    So many people are confused that instead of trying to be accurate, I was just going by 3.9 being a lower number than 4.444. I realize that I have the shortest final drive available in my transmission right now. I figure the 4.444 transmission with its really long 5th gear, but with a 3.9 final drive should be very fast in 1st through 4th and cruise really nice at a little over 2000 rpm on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL - gotcha. The 3.9 seems to be more prolific, so you'll probably have better luck finding that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I just ordered one of the $250 OBX diffs from RSA Performance. I report back if the deal is real or too good to be true.
    Probably a North Korean copy of a Chinese copy of a Quaife...

Post Thanks / Like
    Early impressions on the $250 OBX diff are not so good.

OBXOrder.jpg

24 Hours later and the status is blank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got an answer...

---------------------
    Thank you for your order, Unfortunately this item is not available anymore. Your Paypal payment has been refunded and sorry for the inconvenience.

RSAperformance.com
    ---------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys I think you are all getting way ahead of your selfs regarding needing or not needing an LSD. Wait from some TRUE track side data.

Case-In-Point the GTM from Team PDG was several seconds a lap faster WITHOUT an LSD in the G50 transaxles. They have since switched to the Mendeola and thats a whole other story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's this data? I'd like to see FFR sharing data from their track time. As far as getting ahead of ourselves, what are we supposed to do and who do we wait on? We are like pioneers. There's not a lot of track data out there and we need to build!
    I can't imagine any car would be well-suited to a wet track without a LSD.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Awender, you make a interesting comparison between the need for a LSD in the 818 and to the PDG car. The GTM has a HUGE downforce wing, which allows much of the generated power to stay on the ground and the car to remain relatively flat. I would not expect the 818 to handle anywhere near this way with it shorter wheel base and lack of ground effects.

I do completely agree that there is need of actual track data, but using the GTM as an example here is probably not a fair comparison. I can tell you all that without a doubt a light short wheel base car will benefit dramatically with the addition of a true plate type limited slip differential. I HIGHLY recommend it. I think you will find that most track dedicated cars will have a LSD installed in them. There is a pretty good reason for this and I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons with anyone who cares to give me a call.

As always happy to help, and call me anytime with questions.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    My OBX from RSA is due for delivery on Monday they probably only had a few at this price, I hope it works

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Where's this data? I'd like to see FFR sharing data from their track time. As far as getting ahead of ourselves, what are we supposed to do and who do we wait on? We are like pioneers. There's not a lot of track data out there and we need to build!
    I can't imagine any car would be well-suited to a wet track without a LSD.
    This is what Richard who owns that car told me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Race Line View Post
    Dr Awender, you make a interesting comparison between the need for a LSD in the 818 and to the PDG car. The GTM has a HUGE downforce wing, which allows much of the generated power to stay on the ground and the car to remain relatively flat. I would not expect the 818 to handle anywhere near this way with it shorter wheel base and lack of ground effects.

I do completely agree that there is need of actual track data, but using the GTM as an example here is probably not a fair comparison. I can tell you all that without a doubt a light short wheel base car will benefit dramatically with the addition of a true plate type limited slip differential. I HIGHLY recommend it. I think you will find that most track dedicated cars will have a LSD installed in them. There is a pretty good reason for this and I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons with anyone who cares to give me a call.
    I'm sure without a doubt that anyone that decides to actual race in wheel to wheel competition will have a large wing on it. Although the cars are different, they are at least both mid engine with low weight and gobs of power.

I'm not saying that an LSD will or will not, however don't get ahead of yourself and get real track data, thats all. Start with stock and go up form there. Don't just change a part because you found something new and shiny (unless new and shiny is what you want).

99% of the people who buy these cars will never run them at the edge but a few of us will. It was shown that on the factory car race car the stock WRX trans was weak, however that was in full blown race trim with super sticky tires (and a huge wing) driven by a very fast driver.

There was a lot of data that was generated from racing the Challenge Cars. For instance on a stock 5.0 motor factory headers gave the most power, ironic since many 5.0 guys (kits or mustangs) would change the headers first thinking that that actually made a difference but reality was it was a hinderance without other mods.

I am in the process of building a mid engine Subaru powered race car. I'll be one of those doing real world testing and I'll be sharing my data as well. My goal is run mainly WERC (endure racing) with NASA, this is the ultimate test for what works and what will last.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Real world data from the track is that the 818 needs a LSD to put down the power out of first and second gear corners. I spent two days in the R without an LSD and 2 days in it with a LSD. With out it I had to wait until the car was mostly straight to put the power down or it would spin the inside tire. With the LSD I was able to run out of the same corner and put down the power and pull 4 mph more at the end of the straight.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    What are your thoughts on needing an LSD for a daily driver? My only real worry is hitting the gas too hard taking a turn or even taking off straight.. Is is something I should budget in, or just forget about for now for a daily driver?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    What are your thoughts on needing an LSD for a daily driver? My only real worry is hitting the gas too hard taking a turn or even taking off straight.. Is is something I should budget in, or just forget about for now for a daily driver?
    With it's weight distribution and grip, I expect the 818 should be able to put down plenty of power with an open diff as a daily driver; I don't think you should be pushing the 818 hard enough on the street to need one. If anyone 'needs' an LSD, they should probably TITTT! I haven't driven my 818 yet, but from my experience, having an LSD in a daily driver requires you to always pay attention. If you give it a bit too much gas in a tight corner, or hit a slick/wet patch, an open diff is more forgiving (it'll spin the inside tire, which has less weight on it) with an LSD, yes you can put down more power, but once you pass the traction threshold, you'll spin the outside wheel as well, making the rear end more likely to come around. In a mid-engined 818 with no traction control...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    My cars will have them and anything over 240 RWHP will need them in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    If you give it a bit too much gas in a tight corner, or hit a slick/wet patch, an open diff is more forgiving (it'll spin the inside tire, which has less weight on it) with an LSD, yes you can put down more power, but once you pass the traction threshold, you'll spin the outside wheel as well, making the rear end more likely to come around. In a mid-engined 818 with no traction control...
    Just like my pickup and each of my four other convertibles... time to pay attention and learn to drive...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Just like my pickup and each of my four other convertibles... time to pay attention and learn to drive...
    I agree, I daily drive RWD with LSD and lots of torque... just a counter point to those who are used to front-heavy AWD subbies, that an 818 with LSD will require a more delicate right foot!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dodge Challenger had a lower power to weight ratio than an 818 with a totally stock 2.0L normally aspirated engine and it came with a limited slip from the factory. I don't think there's a performance oriented rear wheel drive car sold today without one.

Post Thanks / Like
    actually many do it with electronics and an open diff... just apply brake to the wheels independently to shift the power application on the fly... BMW and Mercedes do it big time...

I love driving my Miatas in the winter... slippery no problem you learn to modulate the gas very quickly and put the car anywhere you want it! Fun!!!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of still on topic, I rebuilt my OBX ( upgraded bolts and washers) today
    The OBX is definitely at the "less accurate" end of the machining spectrum
    Two of the bolts were tight all of the way out, it seems like the casing bolt holes don't really align with the tapped holes very well
    The standard washers were very low quality, flaking, and one was stamped a little too close to the other and was missing a bit at the edge
    Only other comments is the rebuild is quite easy,
    an M8x1.25 bottoming or intermediate thread tap helps clean up the standard tapped holes
    to get the torque right you need some way to get a torque wrench onto a 6mm Allen key
    photo1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 02-01-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Sort of still on topic, I rebuilt my OBX ( upgraded bolts and washers) today
    The OBX is definitely at the "less accurate" end of the machining spectrum
    Two of the bolts were tight all of the way out, it seems like the casing bolt holes don't really align with the tapped holes very well
    The standard washers were very low quality, flaking, and one was stamped a little too close to the other and was missing a bit at the edge
    Only other comments is the rebuild is quite easy,
    an M8x1.25 bottoming or intermediate thread tap helps clean up the standard tapped holes
    to get the torque right you need some way to get a torque wrench onto a 6mm Allen key
    photo1.JPG

Tim, that is what the one I did looked like.
    Here's the parts to upgrade them from McMaster
    Metric Class 12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw, Alloy Steel, M8 Thread, 50MM Length, 1.25MM Pitch, packs of 25 91290A448
    Metric Belleville Disc Spring, Chrome Vanadium, 14.2MM ID, 28MM OD, 1.5MM Thickness, packs of 12 96445K278

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne
    Cheers Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DodgyTim;137404]...to get the torque right you need some way to get a torque wrench onto a 6mm Allen key
    [QUOTE]
    $17.95 with Amazon Prime. 31mQTkaUOSL.jpgDecent quality; they have not failed me yet.

Thanks, Wayne, for supplying everyone with the part numbers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12