Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 818R "Glynman Style"

Post Thanks / Like
    FB's a no. I don't have an account. I'd love to see them though. Shutterfly or Imgur.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    mmmmm............. Inconel........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    More can be posted shortly. It's getting very close to going in the car. Final bit of welding to do on one pipe at the flange. Reid Washbon Inconel bellows. Headers started out as Full Race parts, but were difficult to get on and impossible to keep gaskets from blowing out. Thus the bellows and V-bands.

I have these on FB. I can get all of them to you, or I can put them on Shutterfly.
    Is he your expert welder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those pipes are great!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my latest oil system diagram for my new STi engine. The oil pump's bypass valve is deactivated and I am using an external Peterson pressure relief valve. The Accusump feeds the engine through the rear right gallery access plug.
    STi external oil system for track engine.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It is with great regret that I must sell my 818 kit. I was advised by my neurologist that I should not race. He considers it too hard on my neck and back and could result in (more) serious nerve damage if I continue. I've been in PT for a couple of weeks now and he just went over the MRI with me. I don't think I have the will to finish the car since I will never race it.
    As noted in my build I have acquired a host of nifty things for it and was nearing completion on the light and unique S2000 front spindle/STi rear suspension. Three corners are there as far as it being a roller and I will finish that part. Some frame mods have been done to clean it up and lighten it. Some body panels were lightened and most have been trimmed and fitted. Wedssport TC105N wheels were mounted and fitted to the car and body. An almost new close-ratio gearset, six-speed tranny has custom setup OS Giken racing diff and the tranny has the internal oil pump.
    I have
    $6K worth of custom engineered Stoptech Trophy brakes for the 818,an OMP fire system, Recaro seat, steering wheel, MR2 shifter and lots of other good stuff.
    PM me if you have any thoughts/questions. I am trying to formulate a plan.
    Last edited by Scargo; 01-15-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: just modified some sentence structure

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    majorly sorry to hear that. Best wishes for your health
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my god... And you were so unique with your STI knuckles and hubs... and the piping you did. Are you really really sure your neurologist is right and quadruple checked his results? If yes, I'm really sorry to hear that, if that would happen to me I'd be devastated.

If you really sell your car, PM Wayne, he's buying pretty much any unfinished Subaru 818.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible news. You are a great and talented asset to the forum, not sure how I'd react to such news myself but I hope you can make this big bag of lemons into lemonade. Best of luck with the sale, and I hope you will stay active with the forum, we can benefit from your experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all are almost bringing tears to my eyes. Thanks for the kind words.
    I'd like to finish the car but it sometimes hurts just to work in the garage. You know how you have to get in awkward positions and lay on your back and lift your head... or stay bent over to weld. I've never been a shirker, always been active and have dealt well with pain, but this issue has made me pretty miserable ever since I got back from our cabin in BC. There, for two months I was pounding around on the water a lot. On the lake I always went as fast as the 9.9 horses would let me (if I wasn't fishing) and on the ocean I didn't mind banging across the tops of the waves at 40.
    I will be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon before long. That will get me a second opinion. Looking at the MRI with the neurologist was pretty depressing. It was hard to ignore the black and white truth of it in conjunction with how I feel and how my neck sounds. I feel I'm in good hands (literally) in physical therapy. I still have good strength in my arms, though they tingle and feel numb sometimes, so I'm hoping I can get a little better, keep working some and help my buddies at the track.
    I'm expecting to get the STi back from dynoing on Thursday and I hope to get in a few laps to see how she feels and see how I feel. I am anxious and hopeful that I can see how a 7:1 P/W AWD car that hooks up well will feel on the track. Racing diffs, close-ratio box, huge torque and 8 grand should be fun. I just know I can't keep doing this or risk a neck injury.
    I'll be putting together a list of what I have so if anyone is interested, let me know. I won't want to piece it out unless I have to. I will talk to Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also respect your experience and contributions to this forum. I just hope you can recover and resume soon. I also hope you'll still be able to help us here.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that's awful. If you have an Egoscue clinic close by give them a try. Sometimes they work miracles. http://www.egoscue.com/
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Oh man that's awful. If you have an Egoscue clinic close by give them a try. Sometimes they work miracles. http://www.egoscue.com/
    Thanks. There's none in CT. Amazingly, I like my physical therapists. It's part of a small, locally founded and owned group. Much of what you see on the egoscue site is what they are doing with me. One of the head guys has personally taken me on as his project, as his father has an auto repair business and he's interested in my car building/racing hobby and wants to see me back on the track. However, he hasn't seen the MRI yet.

And to Pete and others, I am not going to go away quietly. I want to share what I'm doing with engines in particular. I should have my car out of tuning tomorrow and if it survives I may want to share the details of my oiling system mods. I was about to buy some used Nissan GTR intercoolers for the car. I'd like to see the front suspension design finished, implemented and tested, though it probably won't be by me.
    Last edited by Scargo; 10-05-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear the bad news but on the bright side now you can take up golf... just kidding I certainly have enjoyed watching your build and hope, like the others, that you'll continue to share your knowledge. If it were me, I'd wait for that second opinion before selling the 818 cuz once it's gone, it's gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I clicked this thread hoping to see some new stuff. Not the stuff I was hoping to see. I liked seeing people that took a different approach to things if only to generate new ideas and not just be average.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    :'(

Sorry Glyn. You do some awesome work. I think a second opinion is a good idea, just to make sure on such a big decision.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks man, so sorry to hear. Nothing like a doctors visit to change your perspective on life though. As everyone else has said, do your follow ups, be certain there's no way to come back from this before selling everything off. There is more to life than cars, or so my wife tells me. Your contributions to the forum would be surely missed should you choose to move on. I for one have been very curious about how your front end experiment works out. I'm guessing building a 818 for the street just isn't in your DNA?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Glyn, sorry to hear that you are selling off your project, I was also watching with interest and looking forward to your next mod. But as others have said on to the next thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again everyone for the kind words and for the support. I might be premature, but I doubt it. I was talking to my PT an hour ago about it and he also thinks it's a wise move that I not race.
    As to converting it to a street car: I doubt it. I love the rawness of racing. Frank knows. We've ridden bikes raced cars and thrive on adrenalin. Yet I am a process oriented, creative type so I love the journey getting to the track almost as much as doing the driving. If I can't race I can have a comfortable, luxurious, high-performance sportscar so I can't envision making the 818R into a street car. I already have four I drive right now...
    Perhaps a good compromise would be to have someone help me with the car and then they track it or possibly really race it. I do have faith that it could be a winning ST2 car. I think FFR, Plavan and others have shown glimmers of greatness. I see John George is moving on to a FFR Daytona Coupe for 2017. Mine might have interested him if I had caught him at the right moment.
    More later.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    sorry to hear this man. I can't imagine what a gut punch that must have been. Keep at the PT and stay positive... in miracles and science we trust.

You are an asset to both the Subaru and the 818 community, and I know that wont stop just because you aren't behind the wheel.

Maybe next summer you can host an open house, and the community can come out for a few days at your place (or a local shop) and get you running.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Thanks again everyone for the kind words and for the support. I might be premature, but I doubt it. I was talking to my PT an hour ago about it and he also thinks it's a wise move that I not race.
    As to converting it to a street car: I doubt it. I love the rawness of racing. Frank knows. We've ridden bikes raced cars and thrive on adrenalin. Yet I am a process oriented, creative type so I love the journey getting to the track almost as much as doing the driving. If I can't race I can have a comfortable, luxurious, high-performance sportscar so I can't envision making the 818R into a street car. I already have four I drive right now...
    Perhaps a good compromise would be to have someone help me with the car and then they track it or possibly really race it. I do have faith that it could be a winning ST2 car. I think FFR, Plavan and others have shown glimmers of greatness. I see John George is moving on to a FFR Daytona Coupe for 2017. Mine might have interested him if I had caught him at the right moment.
    More later.
    Darn right I know! And you're welcome to help/advise me anything Glyn. Always excited when I see your comments on my build/activities, and I can't even imagine going through what you are now. If there's anything I can do, let me know
    Frank - Build thread

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't post much but I read it all and have looked forward to your posts. I had
    to give up racketball a few years back to save my knees. I cried then but have avoided surgery for a long time now, so the tradeoff was worth it. Your health, family, faith if you are of that mind, have to come first.

I agree with others about giving it some time, at least.

I had a young man visit today. Subie fan, loves cars, but never wrenched a bolt. Wants to learn. I gave him some things to do and he jumped on it. You could guide someone and I bet get as much from that as racing if you set your mind to it.

Regardless please keep cheer and hoping you improve.

Post Thanks / Like
    I welcome any suggestions and/or advice.
    I once put out feelers to shops and forums for a local person to assist me with track days in return for my assistance with their cars or just teaching them the ropes. I got no response. Perhaps there is a better approach or I'm looking in the wrong places or my timing was off? I'd like to work out a deal where a hot-shoe can drive but is invested in the car and helps me with it, where I eventually sell it to them or another racer.
    Plus, I have my '08 STi to sell. Note my signature as well as my build page on IWSTI. I thought I was going to get the car back from the tuner today. Can't wait to see how my new motor does.

Post Thanks / Like
    A semi local to me guy in Indiana from the Suby club is going to do an 818 soon. Wants a twin scroll and all. I linked him to your thread just in case he's interested vs getting a bare kit.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    As another person with neurological issues I understand. Make sure to work multiple opinions and don't overlook the power of a positive motivated mind and body. My MRIs show two areas with transverse mylitus, basically transectioning of the spinal cord at two different levels, that's why I went number from the waist down, then the chest down back in 1991 and 1992.

I've come a long way from not walking or driving, even being able to write my name to a multi year autocross champion in our local club but racing the 818 is far beyond my capabilities.

Hang in there, stay positive, good luck and you will be in my prayers for a better outcome.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan. Yours is an amazing story. I am seeing some improvement from PT and even went back to the gym for a trainer managed workout. My female trainer is an ex-physical therapist so she knew exactly how to tailor my workout based on my PT workout, my injuries and my degenerative spinal disease! My problems were not really debilitating before September. I had lower back pain at times but the neck thing had only exhibited itself as tingly arms. Initially it was thought it was a circulatory system issue but my cardio-vascular tests showed that that part of me was fine. So, for me, it came on so fast. I wasn't sure what was really wrong with me for a while.

Craig, thanks for that mention about my car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw where RetroRacing lost a rod. Here's an Excel list I compiled of aftermarket rods and pistons if you are considering an upgrade that can handle more power and RPMS.piston_rod weights.zip
    Have not tried attaching a zip file before so I'm hoping this works.

Post Thanks / Like
    "More RPMs" than 8500 is what number, for you?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    "More RPMs" than 8500 is what number, for you?
    I don't know, LOL... But for Retro it was too much!
    A number of people claim they spin 8.5K with a dry sump. I am going to shut my 2.5L down at 7,600 for racing though it should be good for more. Micah McMahan, who designed my and others "destroker honey badger" motors say it can do 9K. I was told by a local engine builder that the beehive springs and Ti retainers would be good for over 8K.
    I'm still trying to get my STi motor tuned. One little problem after another. I'll let everyone know ho that turned out in a few days, hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got Race Technology DL1 data logger and Dash2. Accumulating more pieces. STi is still in the way of the 818R...
    Bought Tactrix cable and intend to learn to tune. I hate being hamstrung by shops and primadonna tuners who are too busy, too distracted or too lazy to diagnose a problem and do a decent job of tuning.
    My health is much improved. I have worked hard in physical therapy, feel much better and am in good shape. Though no surgery is foreseen for my neck but I will be having carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists in the near future. Just turned 70. Hard to comprehend.
    I'm trying to forge ahead. Seeing others getting their cars on the track is encouraging. Slowly and surely the Scargo inches forward.
    At least the STi will be ready for the track with a 7:1 PWR in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear you are feeling much better Glyn.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    hell yes. congrats man. keep pushing yourself.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, Glyn! As far as the Tactrix goes, I think this is a good read on it. I kind-of open source my stuff now and I like it. I hope to get more practice at it next year
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not realize how long I have been away from my journal. I am doing well, physically and mentally...
    When I race for two days I often end up with a headache or minor neck pain but nothing is getting worse. I did a high of 15 track days in 2018. I've had some 1.5 G moments but I doubt I can do more. I've learned not to snap my head around. I have a lightweight helmet.

I've been busy. I built a killer 470 AWD HP engine for my STi track car. It's got 40 hours on it without a hiccup.
    I bought two identical, non-running, but low mileage, 2007 STi's last year and one is now my DD with a 400 HP engine in it that I built. The other will be finished this winter. It will be near 500 HP and will be my backup track day car. It has all TSS Fab subframes and an Oswald "U" subframe plus lots of other cool goodies. I call it my "Sleeper car"!

I built a close-ratio six-speed box (with oil pump) for the 818 and then turned around and bought a newly built hardened STI RA Gearset, 2004 Subaru WRX Transmission. Built by Rallispec, it contains STI RA Gearset 1-4, heat treated stock 5th Gear, new, OEM synchronizers and bearings and a Cusco 1.5 LSD. There was approximately $5000 invested in it and it has the rear plate installed for the 818 kit.
    The destroker engine for the 818 is ready to be assembled and I may get to it this winter.
    So, I've been very busy but not on the 818R. Thus the car sits and the chassis hasn't been worked on in two years.
    I am very tempted to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back! Glad to see you are able to have quite some fun, well deserved! 1.5Gs that must be a great feeling!
    It's true 2 years was quite a long time!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Welcome back! Glad to see you are able to have quite some fun, well deserved! 1.5Gs that must be a great feeling!
    It's true 2 years was quite a long time!
    Yes, too long. I may have made a few posts along the way but I've been busy elsewhere.
    A sweet 2007 STi that I bought without an engine. Had coilovers and now has 22mm sways. Engine is semi-normal for 400 WHP. Could do 500 with a bigger turbo. Pretty fun, as is.
    DD STi (7 of 7).jpgIMG_2997.jpg

38. Likes longislandwrx liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678