Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I need help with installing my G50 Transaxle

Post Thanks / Like

I need help with installing my G50 Transaxle

I am going to be honest here to say that I know nothing about the Porsche Transaxles..

I attached pictures of the Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Crankshaft and Clutch Fork.. My question on the Flywheel is that it has an extra hole drilled in it, there is also a hole in the same spot on the Crankshaft, I am going to assume that those hole line up with each other?? Also on the Pressure Plate on the bottom right of the picture has 2 hole drilled out, again assuming that those are to balance the Pressure Plate. Do those holes on the Pressure Plate also line up with the holes on the Crankshaft and Flywheel?? Or does it not matter how the Pressure Plate is mounted to the Flywheel??

The question on the Clutch Fork is, is it all there?? It seems weird that the 2 flat spots on the throw-out bearing will sit on the clutch fork without the throw-out bearing spinning off of it, you would think there should be some thing there to hold the throw-out bearing to the clutch fork?? In the GTM instruction manual it says to tape the clutch fork to the throw-out bearing, so I am not sure if you have to take the clutch fork off of the transaxle or not and if you do how do you get the darn thing out? and once you have the transaxle in how do you get the clutch fork lined up with the shaft??

Thanks
    Mike
    clutch fork.JPG, crank.JPG, flywheel.JPG, pressure plate.JPG
    Last edited by sonex772; 12-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to get the ears on the fork behind the tabs on the throwout. It is a serious PITA. Good luck. Hopefully someone has a video they can post to show exactly how it's done? Also, you would do well to lightly polish that input shaft with scotchbright before install. All that rust will just cause things to hang up when putting them together. It should be rust free, but don't use anything too abrasive on those surfaces.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to take the clutch fork off the transaxle first. For this the axle which holds the clutch fork has to be removed - just pull it out. On the left side (in your picture of the clutch fork) there should be a plug which is secured with a little bracket and the axle has a thread (6 mm), you can use a fitting screw to pull it out. Prior to mounting the gearbox you have to fit the clutch fork to the throw out bearing (tape, dental floss...). Then you slide the transmission into place. When this is done you can mount the shaft of the clutch fork. Take care, that the loose needle rollers of the inner bearing stays in place when you slide the axle in.

Good luck!

Eugen
    GTM #006 (early beta)
    On the road in Austria/Europe
    LS-7 with Kooks / G50 / Pfadt Bushings
    Bilstein shocks, C6 ZO6 brakes with DBA rotors
    Lightweight build (2.336 lbs ready to drive)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me a call tomorrow when you have time and I can walk you through a very good way of installing the fork, and answer any other installation questions you might have.

I have quite a bit of experience with the G50.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ther looks like alot of rust on your input shaft, clean with small brass brush and scotch brite and coat with your favorite lube. Is the trans axle asy painted with grey prime? Looks like alot of rust and scale under that paint. Or maybe just a very rough casting.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks every one, these answers are helpful..

Now that I know how to get that clutch fork out I can get it cleaned a lot better.. The rust on the input shaft doesn't look that bad when you are looking at it, but the picture really intensifies it, so I will also get that all cleaned up before the trans goes in the car..

Mike