BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Forward Fuse Box

Post Thanks / Like

Forward Fuse Box

Where and how did everyone mount and locate their forward fuse box (the one that's inside on the donor)? FFR says to locate it up front. I want it somehwere that is acessible without taking apart the entire dash. Right now it's at the junction of the floor pan and the firewall. Contemplating mounting it sideways and having a cutout and door on the passenger footwell to access it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    that is my plan as well, mine doesn't get quite that far forward
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    how about a cutout in the tunnel on the passenger side with a nice carbon fiber cover.

you could cut out a cool electrical logo and throw a led in there to illuminate it and help read the fuses.

or leave it solid and scan the fuse diagram and print a vinyl sticker and put it on the inside of the cover.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking of. Didn't know if anyone had ironed out the details yet.

Dan, I've done a lot (too much?) work organizing the wires. I've gotten to the point where I'm at diminishing returns. The amount of time required now to remove 6" of wire isn't worth it. Though, because my wires are nice neat bundles I could stretch things out a bit more.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting to this point in the build but has anyone that has completed this portion of the build that has used the donor harness like to comment on where they mounted the fuse box. Pictures would be great if anyone has them. I know there were a few who were trying to mount up in the passenger area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the donor harness, but I bought an aftermarket fusebox. I don't like where it would end up if you just install the harness as is. I hope the parts will be here on Friday, so keep an eye on my build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    What fuse box did you buy. Im currently debating on extending wires and weighing out pros and cons of each scenario right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Getting to this point in the build but has anyone that has completed this portion of the build that has used the donor harness like to comment on where they mounted the fuse box. Pictures would be great if anyone has them. I know there were a few who were trying to mount up in the passenger area.
    I have just finished and started the engine last Saturday.
    06 Donor and dieted OEM harness.
    ECU is on the engine side of firewall where the intake filter is.
    Right hand side is the main relay box, with relays and fuses accessible from the engine bay.
    Fuse box Immobilizer etc. all mounted up-front under the dash. I used a piece of "unistrut" for mounting some of the devices.

Front mounting of fuse box.jpgFront wiring.jpgPicture 004.jpgRear firewall wiring.jpgUnistrut used to mount fuse box.jpg
    Last edited by freds; 06-12-2014 at 06:18 AM.

9. Thanks Grande thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one

I considered this one:

The second one has an internal bus, but is less flexible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been mulling this over the last few days too. I put the ECU above the fuel tank on the passenger side in a water protected are between the rear firewall and an extra shield I put in place along the rear frame wall. The front fuse box can reach near the steering wheel in my case , but not sure where to mount it yet. I didn't diet my harness much, mostly just moved stuff where it needs to reach.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachments are not opening up for me. I mounted my ecu where you did goldwing. Actually was able to mount it with one of my gas tank bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Attachments are not opening up for me. I mounted my ecu where you did goldwing. Actually was able to mount it with one of my gas tank bolts.
    Check post #8 again, I re-attached the photos.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    My ECU sits between the fuel pump and the fuel level sender above the Boyd tank, and in the original ECU bracket. I modified the original firewall, making it a snug fit back there with the relay box barely fitting in there. I just moved the harness to the car, so the wires aren't sorted much just yet. I divided the space above the tank, such that fuel lines are on one side, and electrics are on the other.

image.jpg

EDIT: This is why it's difficult to read with a 2 yr old begging for attention, lol. I read your post as a question 07FIREBLADE. Time to offer her my attention, lol.
    Last edited by Goldwing; 06-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to lay the wire bundles down in their neatest position, I set my front fuse box in the recess above the pedal box with a preliminary plan to make a cutout door to reach them as needed. We'll see if this plan works when the dash gets installed. Powered up the electrics for the first time as well. Only a fuel tank temp code and buzzing from the throttle (DBW) to deal with at this point. The buzzing seems to be a common issue, and ignorable if it responds as commanded. First start will put that to rest. Time to buy some coolant, getting close to first start.
    Rich