Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Double Roll bar for 33?

Post Thanks / Like

Double Roll bar for 33?

I know originally the 33 had a double roll bar and I am not sure why they went to just the one all the way across. I really like the look of the double roll ball and I am thinking about how I can modify my 33 to have the double roll bar.

Has anybody done this before? If so, how did you do it and where did you get the roll bars from?

I am not a fabricator and don't know how to weld but was thinking this should be fairly simple for someone who does. Will the existing post work and can I just weld in a 2 new post at the proper width to accommodate the double bars? If I cant find roll bars already done, I was thinking about going to a weld shop and have 2 made?

Any thoughts on this or recommendations would be appreciated?

Thanks!
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory five should be able to supply you everything you need. They are just Roadster bars without the 3rd leg. Not sure if they are still doing any in 2 inch though. They may have some in stock. Also put a wanted post on the other forum. plenty of early cars were built without them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing the same thing Charles, I prefer the double bar much better as well. I have one and am just going to have another bent. The beefier single bar Kootenai carries looks a lot better because of the double radius. I've also contemplated going that route but will probably stick with my original idea. I'm going to customize the double roll bar so it is a bit different than what I have seen.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    I know originally the 33 had a double roll bar and I am not sure why they went to just the one all the way across. I really like the look of the double roll ball and I am thinking about how I can modify my 33 to have the double roll bar.

Has anybody done this before? If so, how did you do it and where did you get the roll bars from?

I am not a fabricator and don't know how to weld but was thinking this should be fairly simple for someone who does. Will the existing post work and can I just weld in a 2 new post at the proper width to accommodate the double bars? If I cant find roll bars already done, I was thinking about going to a weld shop and have 2 made?

Any thoughts on this or recommendations would be appreciated?

Thanks!
    Charles
    Get in touch with me. I think I can help you out.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 12-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    I'm doing the same thing Charles, I prefer the double bar much better as well. I have one and am just going to have another bent. The beefier single bar Kootenai carries looks a lot better because of the double radius. I've also contemplated going that route but will probably stick with my original idea. I'm going to customize the double roll bar so it is a bit different than what I have seen.

Evan
    I am glad I am not the only one who wants to do this! lol I considered Kootenai too but I really do like the look of the double and feel it may be safer as it will have 4 welded in post than just 2. I am not sure how wide the roll bars are but do you know if the existing post will work in the place they are or do they need to be moved to center the roll bars with the seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Get in touch with me. I think I can help you out. Looks like you live about an hour or so from me.
    Thanks Frank! PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Factory five should be able to supply you everything you need. They are just Roadster bars without the 3rd leg. Not sure if they are still doing any in 2 inch though. They may have some in stock. Also put a wanted post on the other forum. plenty of early cars were built without them.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike! I will give FFR a call too! I also just posted a "wanted" ad on here and will also put one on the other forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    2290r.jpgcheck out my build site for more pics www.33coyote.com. I had a local race car fab shop bend some 1.75 dia x .120 wall tubing. I Inserted and plug welded 12" lengths of 1.5 x .120 inside the straight sections. i welded the bars to the cross member behind the seats and installed a piece if 1.5 x 3/16 wall square tubing across the car about 9 or 10 inches higher than the crosssmember. This bar fits behind the existing roll bar tube and adds a lot of strength to the roll bars. Mine are the maximum height to fit inside the soft top. This setup is at least 6 times stronger than a single bar. It will help in a crash, but if the car tumbles they are not going to protect like a proper 4 or 6 point bar system.
    Last edited by Jay Mann; 12-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    if you look at the3 finished car pictures at Jake Busy's blue car, i can supply those if there's some interest.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jake Bussey's car is actually on the other forum. Page 6 of the photo op post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post
    if you look at the3 finished car pictures at Jake Busy's blue car, i can supply those if there's some interest.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley Customs
    I checked those out and are pretty nice but not sure if I like it better than regular style loop.
    Curious though if I went with these, how much would they run? Will these be welded directly to the frame or is their sleeves they slide into to remove? If so, will the sleeves be included?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles, can you post the link to the page where you saw the hoop roll bars? I too am doing the double roll bar and tried to find the picture of his car and was unsuccessful. Thanks.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Charles, can you post the link to the page where you saw the hoop roll bars? I too am doing the double roll bar and tried to find the picture of his car and was unsuccessful. Thanks.

Evan
    Here is the link to the page on the other forum with that picture. Hopefully this link works, if not, it is post #177 in the Photo Op page.
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fac...our-shots.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir, I appreciate it. It worked. I have seen that style before and I may give him a call and find out some pricing before I have them done myself. It might be cost prohibitive with the shipping but you never know. Thanks again Charles!
    Last edited by esff32; 12-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a little history, the hoops presented a bit of a problem for FFR as far as bracing it to the chassis. As it was two receivers sticking up would pretty much snap or bend without any other support. The roll bar that's in there is a better safety solution now however if you run a chassis brace the quad receiver setup you should be pretty good. Jay man did this pretty nicely.