FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Reason Why My FFR Build Was Delayed Before It Even Started

Post Thanks / Like

The Reason Why My FFR Build Was Delayed Before It Even Started

IMG_2239.jpg

So, I was riding my motorcycle one cool Friday night in November, while planning the rest of my weekend: start taking my donor apart, and call FFR on Monday to order my kit, along with optional parts. But those thoughts were interrupted by a disheartening metal-to-metal sound and a suspicious and abnormal wiggle of the frame as I was going over a speed bump. I stopped on the side of the road, but it was too dark to see anything; so I rode back home. Once there, I proceeded to investigate the issue, expecting the worst... and I was right. My heart sunk when I realized that the two gussets that hold the sub-frame to the main frame had completely broken off. The only things holding my rear tire and swing arm to the rest of the bike were the bolt that attaches the swing arm to the rear engine mount, and the shocks. It seems that every time I'm ready to initiate this project I've patiently waited for 10 years to start, something else comes up.
    1422344_538457152890015_958718060_n[1].jpg

So, instead of taking apart my donor, I found myself taking apart my motorcycle.
    1424436_543417905727273_882937659_n[1].jpg1450123_541569062578824_98795253_n[1].jpg

I had the frame and other parts chemically stripped of powder coat, to make sure that there was no other damage to the frame. While all other welds were intact, I did find collateral damage done to the rear of the frame and the swing arm, where both parts were resting against each other due to the gussets' failure. Therefore, I designed new, stronger and wider gussets, to avoid this failure again. Here is a picture of my new gusset design on a cardboard template. Although it's a simple design, I calculated them to be over 3x stronger than the originals.
    IMAG1094.jpg

While it was apart, I looked at the only section of the bike that remained somewhat intact, and couldn't help myself but to jokingly consider converting my motorcycle into an unicycle...
    530360_545015615567502_2078614614_n[1].jpg

Squared up the frame and held it together with tack-welded braces between the sub-frame and the main frame. Created the new gussets and tacked them up to the two mounting points. Checked the measurements and clearances again, and completed the welds. Additionally, the swing arm, kick stand, and back of the frame had steel added and ground down to restore their original shapes. Then proceeded to remove the temporary braces, and grind down the tack welds.
    IMAG1123.jpgIMG_2156.jpg

As of this writing, the frame, swing arm, and other parts are at the shop, waiting their turn to get powder-coated. They should be ready for pick-up sometime next week. In the meantime, I've been busy almost every night in the garage, re-painting and cleaning the engine and collection of remaining parts. I also delivered the oil tank and rear fender to the paint shop, as they were the only tin that needed a fresh coat of paint. The front fender and fuel tank are still in good shape. And since all metal parts have custom airbrushing done to them, it would cost me my first born (if I ever decide to have one) to get everything air-brushed again. Once I get the tin back from the painter, I'll send them off to MD, to have the same artwork done by my friend. He has the original drawings I gave him, he does awesome work, and he gives me a discount; so sending the parts to him makes sense. Hope to have those parts back from him by the time I'm putting the bike back together. I guess that the one positive thought I can extract out of this, is that this is a warm-up for my FFR project. And although this was an unexpected and unwanted project, I actually look forward getting home from work in the evenings, so I can get in the garage and work on my bike. I can only imagine the excitement I’ll experience once I have the MK4 kit in my garage.

More updates and photos to follow.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but is that a common thing to have fail? Not that I have ANY prior knowledge, but that seems like an unusual one. If I had known it was even possible, I never would've ever ridden on the back of my husband's bike when he had one. Eeeeep! Good luck with the rest of the fix. Looks like you've got it under control and I'd like to see finished pics when you get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankfully, it is not common. Also, please note that this is a custom bike, and not a big-name production bike, such as Harley. From what I can gather, the broken pieces were made small, most likely for aesthetic and weight-saving purposes. This frame was only in production for a few years before I bought mine. The company who made it had only been in business for 8 years, and was not big. I doubt that the did strenuous testing on this frame for safety's sake. Then again, in all my years of riding, I've never had (or heard of) anything like this happen to a bike frame not involved in an accident. Unfortunately, this company fell victim of the economic recession back in 2010, so I'm on my own with this problem. My choices were to either, fix it and make it better, or throw away a $30K motorcycle. I love this bike, so this is where I am.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but is that a common thing to have fail? Not that I have ANY prior knowledge, but that seems like an unusual one. If I had known it was even possible, I never would've ever ridden on the back of my husband's bike when he had one. Eeeeep! Good luck with the rest of the fix. Looks like you've got it under control and I'd like to see finished pics when you get them.
    Your pretty safe . So get a new bike and take off. I ride around 9,000 mile's a a year and it's still the most relaxing fun I have.
    But my wife sat on the back once and said that's all for me.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't blame you at all for fixing it. Good thing you have the skills. As for riding, I would never ever try to pilot my own motorcycle, but I did enjoy riding on the back when Mike had one. The Cobra is my relaxing ride now. Love it!!!! Anyway, hurry up and fix it so we can see pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    I don't blame you at all for fixing it. Good thing you have the skills. As for riding, I would never ever try to pilot my own motorcycle, but I did enjoy riding on the back when Mike had one. The Cobra is my relaxing ride now. Love it!!!! Anyway, hurry up and fix it so we can see pictures.
    Trust me, I want to get this project done so I can start on the Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos, sorry to hear about the bike. Lucky it held together and didn't dump the swing arm/tire/oil tank, etc.

Hope you had a nice visit with Jeff last week. BTW, got my tag renewed and the Roadster is back on the road (took it to a cruise Friday night). Hope to meet up again soon...

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark:

I had a nice ride with Jeff. It was windy and somewhat cold, but thankfully, he has heated seats and heating. Glad to hear you got yours back on the road. Hope to meet again as well.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the painter, who had previously done great work for me, apparently decided to half-*** my motorcycle parts. So, after telling the shop owner that this was unacceptable, I warned him that it was the only free pass he'd get from me. This SNAFU set me back a whole week, as these parts should have been in MD by now getting air-brushed. In the meantime, I've been cleaning, polishing, cleaning, painting, cleaning, replacing hardware... Oh, did I mention cleaning? I should have the (hopefully properly) painted parts tomorrow to ship out, and the frame back from the powder coater on Wednesday. I'm hoping to have as much of the bike together as possible without the tin by the end of the week.

IMAG1126.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I just realized that I hate chrome. The only good thing about this is that my forearms and biceps got a good work-out.

IMAG1127.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the frame back from the powder coater. It looks awesome!
    IMAG1130.jpg

This is the rear wheel after polishing. Wish I would've taken a before picture. It's like night and day.
    IMAG1131.jpg

Now if the painter actually gave me back my parts he keeps promising to have ready the next day...

Post Thanks / Like
    IMAG1133.jpg
    Although the painter kept my parts a week longer than promised, he still did a half-assed job, which I had to finish at home. Thankfully, the shop owner realized that I got screwed on this evolution, so he didn't charge me a penny.

IMAG1135.jpg
    Sprocket and brake rotor attached to the rear wheel, and ready to install on the swing arm.

1482849_556410877761309_1410234561_n[1].jpg
    Spherical bearings pressed in the swing arm.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Carlos,

That's a pretty cool ride. Some people call the roadster a 4 wheel Harley. You should make an easy transition. Good luck on you rebuild, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Carlos,

That's a pretty cool ride. Some people call the roadster a 4 wheel Harley. You should make an easy transition. Good luck on you rebuild, WEK.
    Thanks! I converted the Mustang I'll be using as the donor to a race car. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to tackle that project... Hopefully, without much help.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For hating chrome, you've got a lot of it.
    Looks shiney / beautiful!

Did you build the bike originally? Looks like you stripped it completely down.

It's going to be a great looking bike. Better than before.

You'll have a blast building a roadster(?), what are your plans?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    For hating chrome, you've got a lot of it.
    Looks shiney / beautiful!

Did you build the bike originally? Looks like you stripped it completely down.

It's going to be a great looking bike. Better than before.

You'll have a blast building a roadster(?), what are your plans?
    Thanks for the compliments. I spent two evenings polishing all the chrome this bike has. I didn't build the bike. I bought it new, and although I loved its lines, I thought it was a little too mundane-looking for a custom. So, I immediately started designing and fabricating parts for it, and designed all the artwork on the paint. I had to completely take it down to its bare frame, in order to fix it.

My plans for the Roadster will be keeping the classic look outside, but make the inside a little more modern. It will have a supercharged 358ci engine, a 5 or 6-speed tranny, a race 4-link suspension, and a race-fortified 8.8" rear end. I most likely will fabricate a custom center console, which will have cup holders, gauges, some switches, and an arm rest/storage compartment. No A/C, but will have heat.

I hope to order the kit before the sale is over, and have my donor torn down, and the chassis sold, before I receive the kit.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    IMAG1144.jpg
    Here, the frame has been covered with foam for protection, and is ready to accept the engine and transmission.

IMAG1145.jpg
    Who says that one person with a bad back can't put an engine on a bike? All it takes is a little ingenuity, like laying the engine on its side, dropping the frame on it, and bolting everything up.

IMAG1146.jpg
    She's a roller again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    1.jpg2.jpg
    Attention to detail includes painting the brake calipers, polishing the brake rotors, and replacing the original manufacturer decals. Since the manufacturer is out of business, I had a local vehicle wrapping shop make exact copies of the originals. I also got some of their semi-gloss wrapping vinyl to place in strategic spots throughout the bike, where the powder coat kept being rubbed off. It matches the powder coat so well, that it's almost impossible to tell the difference.

3.jpg4.jpg
    The before and after of doing custom electrical work on the lights. The wires were soldered, insulated, loomed, and organized onto the frame, ready for the harness.

5.jpg
    While waiting for custom weather packs to arrive, I decided to conduct some minor surgery on the harness itself, to correct some manufacturer issues and re-dress the harness. Once I get the parts, I'll be able to start attaching the harness to the frame and make connections.

I've also attached some random parts onto the frame, which will not affect the routing of the harness. Another productive evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    My heart sunk when I realized that the two gussets that hold the sub-frame to the main frame had completely broken off. The only things holding my rear tire and swing arm to the rest of the bike were the bolt that attaches the swing arm to the rear engine mount, and the shocks.

Hey Carlos, great looking bike... Is that a Thunder Mountain frame? I ask because in 25 years of "playing" with bikes I've seen the gussets from frame/sub to break on one other bike... A sporty powered Thunder Mountain.

My buddy was lucky too. The bolt holding the swing arm to the frame had almost completely sheered. one good bump could have had a tragic outcome
    FFR 3985RD. . .legend lime w/rootbeer stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Hey Carlos, great looking bike... Is that a Thunder Mountain frame? I ask because in 25 years of "playing" with bikes I've seen the gussets from frame/sub to break on one other bike... A sporty powered Thunder Mountain.

My buddy was lucky too. The bolt holding the swing arm to the frame had almost completely sheered. one good bump could have had a tragic outcome
    It sure is, Joe. It's the Spitfire, which by your description of your friend's bike, he has the same one. This is the first time I hear of another Spitfire having the very same issue, but I'm not surprised. The gussets' design was made more for looks than functionality. My design should hold up just fine... Hopefully. So what did your friend end up doing with the bike? Did he fix it, or trash it?

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    we threw a weld bead on it, some gloss black paint and he traded it in
    Last edited by JoeT; 12-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    FFR 3985RD. . .legend lime w/rootbeer stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    we threw a weld bead on it, some gloss black paint and he traded it in
    Well, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it, so I'm fixing and keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    1.jpg2.jpg
    Love these weather packs. They make the job look professional. Unfortunately, they are a little expensive. $30 just to do one connection.

3.jpg
    Installed the drive belt guard, foot controls, brake lines, half of the wiring harness, clutch and clutch cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    Horn, exhaust pipes, ignition and charging systems installed. Not much else that can be done until I receive the tin back from airbrushing.

3.jpg
    Performed some touch-up work on the gas tank channel. All painting is now complete.

Due to the holidays, I am forced to put this project on hold. Hopefully in a week, I will have the rest of the parts back, so I can continue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photo of my newly air-brushed rear fender.
    image.jpg

In other news, I just placed the order for the Coupe a short while ago. My expected pick-up date is 4/9/14. I'm excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that the holidays are over, and most of the distractions are gone, I can concentrate on my bike. Spent the last few days buying and assembling machining equipment, which I'll need once I start my Coupe build. Today, I concentrated on more electrical work, such as adding beautiful multi-colored LED lights. Hope to complete the electrical work this weekend, so I can test most of the circuits next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you were going to build a Cobra.

Jeff
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbeer Roadster View Post
    I thought you were going to build a Cobra.

Jeff
    Hey Jeff, nice to hear from you. That was the plan, but after a lot of research, I realized that there is no way I can fit my drivetrain on the Roadster. The Coupe is the only current kit that will accommodate my running gear. I plan to build the Roadster after the Coupe.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to work on the bike for a couple of hours yesterday. The rear fender is on, with all the rear lights hooked up. The oil tank is bolted down, and all the hoses attached. Most of the harness is installed and connected. Hopefully, today I'll be able to finish dressing up the harness, hook up the ECM, drop the battery, finish the rest of the electrical connections (sans the fuel pump), and test all lights and most of the circuits. If time allows, I'll fill her up with fluids. That would leave me with just the gas tank to do, before I can start her up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost there! Today, I installed the battery, the ECM, and the gas tank; finished dressing up the harness, and tested 80% of the circuits.

1513224_571179969617733_802647077_n[1].jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Today, I greased, oiled, and topped off all the fluids on the bike. Bled the brakes, and tested the rest of the circuits. And then, I hit a snag. As soon as I turned on the fuel pump, I discovered that the fuel tank hose quick-disconnect fitting's o-ring decided to let go. Since it's on the bottom of the tank, right above the engine, I hope that I can change it out without having to drain the tank again and remove it from the frame. I was so looking forward taking it for a test ride today. Once I fix this leak, all that should be left is making the final adjustment to the clutch. Hopefully, I'll have it back on the road by Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    DONE!!! Fixed the fuel leak, started it, and let it run for about 10 minutes, just to make sure there were no other leaks or issues. Then, I tested the brakes, and took it for a test ride around the neighborhood. Realized that the rear wheel alignment needed a small tweak. Once that was done, I took it for another test ride with no problems found. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow. I still want to attach sacrificial skid plates to the frame and stand, to preserve the powder coat during hard turns and when leaning on its stand. Hope that in a week or two, I can start taking my donor apart.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Never owned a bike, but really appreciate them. I was actually going to buy one and the wife said "no", so I said "what about a Cobra?". She approved that!

That is a REALLY NICE looking bike, custom but subtle. Bad A$$, but not over the top.

GREAT Job!

now get going on that roadster. After seeing your bike, I can't wait to see your Cobra.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not married... for a good reason: I like to do what I want to do. But at least, you were able to build the Cobra.

Thanks for the compliments. That bike has been a lot work, headaches, and enjoyment.

I will be building the Coupe instead. The Roadster will not accept my running gear. I should be picking it up soon. Stay tuned. I will start a new thread for that project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No problems, I'm more of a car guy than a bike guy, but the V-Rod was tempting me. Probably better that I'm building my roadster, probably would have done something stupid with the bike and hurt / killed myself.

Anyway, your bike looks great and MUCH safer now.

So what are your build plans and why won't it work in the roadster? I can't remember anything nothing being squeezed into one.

Coupe are cool too! Mike Marshal is in our club and his LS powered Coupe hauls and handles! I've ridden along with him on some Auto-X events and that is a fun ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    What drivetrain will fit in a coupe, but not the Cobra?
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 2014 V-Rod Muscle in my garage. It's my girlfriend's bike, but since I do all the work on it, and she lives out of state, I get to ride it anytime I want.

My drivetrain is a supercharged 358ci Windsor, with a Dodge Viper T56, and race-prepped electromagnetic 8.8" diff. The engine makes 600+ RWHP and 650+ RW LB/FT torque.
    1. The tranny is too long for the Roadster, unless I use the IRS. The IRS would get destroyed by the engine's torque.
    2. The drivetrain would fit on the '33, except for the side-mounted blower.
    3. The Coupe will swallow up my drivetrain, with the only issue being having to fabricate a simple extension to FFR's tranny mount.

I just wish that FFR still made the Spyder GT. I would love to build that kit instead.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, my build plans are to keep it looking somewhat original on the outside, while fabricating a modern interior. I'm having the Spyder GT's dashboard being made for it by someone who still has the mold. I'll fabricate a center console which will house air vents, A/C controls, all the toggle switches from my race car donor and FFR's kit, cup holders, an arm rest that will double as a lockable storage compartment, extra gauges and (most likely) a hide-away stereo. I may be building an overhead console to house some of these items. It will also be fully carpeted, and will have interior lighting.

I'm thinking about adding electronic door poppers, and locking side window latches. The only subtle change to the exterior (so far) will be the nose's radiator opening. I never cared for the happy face look on this car, so I plan to massage the opening so the nose's demeanor matches the rest of the car. So far, I have two different designs for this.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    The machinist in me just can't leave well-enough alone. The bottom of a motorcycle kick stand takes a lot of abuse. I decided that I didn't want the fresh powder coat to get ruined, so I fabricated a removable aluminum skid plate, which not only protects the kick stand, but it improves the bike's stance while leaning on it.

1.jpgIMAG1198.jpg

1503396_573940749341655_1910219926_n.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    Drilled and counter-sunk the screw holes on the skid plate. Drilled and tapped the holes on the kick stand.

6.jpg
    Finished product. Next, I'll fabricate skid plates for the frame where it hits the ground during hard turns.