Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Orlando

Hey Guys,

Just a quick intro from another guy interested in building a FF car.

I'm a serial builder (repeat offender) - airplanes, motorcycles, and cars. My latest build was an Ultima GTR. Now seriously considering doing a Daytona Coupe with a friend.

I'll be lurking and reading everything available…

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Roger

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I just sold my Type 65 I built last year. Currently building my 3rd 818 and picking up a MK4 this Friday to bring home to Alachua,FL. Feel free to contact me for any questions you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys!

My buddy (who helped occasionally on my GTR project) is getting ready to pull the trigger on a GTM. Once we get him going, the Coupe will be next.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, guys - seven years on, after helping my friend complete his GTM, then building another airplane for myself, things have finally come around to the Coupe project. For context, I'll be striving to duplicate (as much as possible, of course) CSX2299.

I'll have plenty of questions as things get going, but here are some which are already on my mind:

• Which SBF engine/transmission combination will most closely replicate the original's performance envelope? I'm assuming that a 427 based on the 351W will be the way to go, but I could definitely be wrong about that. FWIW, I have zero interest in a modern engine like the Coyote.
    • Webers or no?
    • I definitely want pin-drive wheels, if possible of the same pattern as the originals. That said, I know that the FFR Coupe has been slightly scaled up and that the 15" wheels won't yield the right proportions. So, what size wheels to get (maybe 17"?), sourced from where, and which tires to use? Are suitable Goodyears still available?
    • 3-link or IRS?
    • Which seats are the closest match to the originals?
    • Is the FFR vintage gauge package a close match to the originals or would I be better off sourcing a set of original gauges and switchgear? I'm assuming that I'll have to fabricate much of the wiring harness myself if I deviate from the standard modern dash.

Anyway, this is some of what's on my mind currently. My wife is settling in for another project, but glad that she won't have to go flying when it's done!

Ken