FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flywheel torque

Post Thanks / Like

Flywheel torque

Hey all

I am putting my flywheel on the crank and don't see in the manual what the torque specs are for it.. I looked in the appendix and it has the torque for the M10 and M12 bolts but not the M11..

I also need to know the torque for the Sachs pressure plate I got??

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by sonex772; 12-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First pass 15 ft/lb
    Second pass 37 ft/lb

https://store-581ad.mybigcommerce.co...rque_Specs.pdf
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    First pass 15 ft/lb
    Second pass 37 ft/lb

https://store-581ad.mybigcommerce.co...rque_Specs.pdf
    Thanks Hugo. That's a pretty handy sheet to have.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the final pass??

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The final torque is 74 ft/lb. You don't torque to that the first time. You will first torque all bolts to 15 ft/lb that will be the first pass. After that you will torque bolts again but to 37 ft/lb that will be the second pass.The third and final pass will be at 74 ft/lb
    Last edited by Kempo; 12-09-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    I got so many different answers on the flywheel torque I just held off until I could talk to FFR, the correct torque for the flywheel is 75-80 ft/lbs

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct there is a third and final pass on the list I posted. I missed it because it is in the next column. That final pass is at 74ft/lb. I edited my previous post accordingly.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy to do!!

Did you use any washers or lock washers on your pressure plate bolts?? and did you torque those to 18 ft/lbs??

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by sonex772; 12-09-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no washers or lock washers on the pressure plate bolts this will increase the bolt head height and in some cases will interfere with the transaxle bellhousing. I highly recommend red loc-tite, though. Make sure that if you are using a G50.20 gearbox that you have the correct pressure plate bolts. They are specific and are one of the bolts that will interfere if not correct.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    I using a G50/03 gear box and the Sachs Clutch Kit.. I put the bolts in and torqued them down for a test fit, when I took them back off I noticed that the bolts dug into the pressure plate which I don't think is good, so I used a thin aircraft grade washer to keep the bolt from digging into the pressure plate.. The factory recommended using blue Loctite not red.. Does any one else want to comment on the use of Red or Blue?? for the Pressure Plate??

Mike
    Last edited by sonex772; 12-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always used red loctite on the pressure plate bolts. The thing is....I don't think most people realize how quickly loctite sets up. It only takes about 90 seconds. There's no way you can get all of your pressure plate bolts started, run down to where the pressure plate is seated all the way around and then torqued within 90 seconds.......and if you're only torquing to 18lb-ft and the loctite is already set up....then you are not getting an accurate torque. I always spin all of the pressure plate bolts down until the pressure plate is fully seated against the flywheel, then remove one bolt at a time, apply loctite, run the bolt in and torque it. Remove opposite bolt (torque sequence) apply loctite, torque down, and repeat until I've done all of the bolts.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    I've always used red loctite on the pressure plate bolts. The thing is....I don't think most people realize how quickly loctite sets up. It only takes about 90 seconds. There's no way you can get all of your pressure plate bolts started, run down to where the pressure plate is seated all the way around and then torqued within 90 seconds.......and if you're only torquing to 18lb-ft and the loctite is already set up....then you are not getting an accurate torque. I always spin all of the pressure plate bolts down until the pressure plate is fully seated against the flywheel, then remove one bolt at a time, apply loctite, run the bolt in and torque it. Remove opposite bolt (torque sequence) apply loctite, torque down, and repeat until I've done all of the bolts.
    Awesome Advice!!

Thanks Shane!
    GTM #253 In Process