Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is up with Speed TV?

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What is up with Speed TV?

Yikes. Without re-raising all the angst from a few years ago, when you could routinely tune in to SpeedVision (remember that name?) and see videos of races in the past, the "new" Speed is making me a bit nuts.

First, there's Car Warriors. You have got to be kidding me. Yet another show where persons of dubious cranial capacity create piles of doo-doo in a 72-hour window. Those cars (I use the term loosely) must get crushed after filming, right? Nobody in their right mind would actually drive one down the road.

Then last night I saw Car Science for the first time. You have got to be kidding me [redux]. A show aimed at the intelligence level of a very slow 4th-grader is slotted into a late evening time? How dumbed down have we become?

Here's my point (sorry, takes me a while to get here). I have a son who is about to turn 11 years old. We have many, many, many hours together in the garage that I absolutely treasure, where I've taught him how to think through a problem, categorize potential solutions, be self-critical, select the optimal solution to the problem, and move ahead. We have done some really neat things together this way during my Roadster build, which included him assembling the pistons, floating wrist pins, connecting rods, and rings while I watched and advised (well I did help with the rings). When I started my Roadster for the first time, he was sitting next to me.

I don't want him to watch these shows. They exhibit what I would call irrational engineering in order to create "entertainment." It's as though Snookie (or whatever that airhead's name is that embarasses the rest of us in Jersey so much) has started building hotrods.

This is not a good thing.

Here endeth the rant. We now return you to your regular programming.

AJ

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I can't stand the team leader on the pro team, everything is "BRO" . grow up ! Then he sands the car with 36 grit paper and sends it to the spray booth !
    Then the other guy can't remember the girls name and keeps calling her Baby. To start with trying to do what they expect in 72 hours is just crazy.
    Chip Foose and a team of 50 took a whole week !

Kenny

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    its called tv.....turn it off, all the channels are the same
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Yes, I built this replica South Dakobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watch "My Classic Car".
    I always laugh at Dennis Gage and the "feature" cars he'll choose. He's at a show and they show background shots of some awesome cars. Then for instance his latest pick for a feature was a 1977 Toyota SUV. I've seen him choose museum piece trucks and numerous other off-the-wall cars and bypass some cool stuff.
    FFR5109 purchased in 2004, on the road since 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy Dennis Gage too. His shows from inside the Leno collection are incredible, I think that could be a series all by itself.

There are other shows I enjoy on Speed as well of course. My rant that started this thread was really directed at the ridiculous shows featuring morons screaming at each other, threatening each other, and building really questionable cars in 72 hours on no sleep.

I do not see the value in those shows. Can't we leave the "reality" shouting to the motorcycle drama queens?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it's still on, but I enjoyed the BullRun 'reality' race show. My brother and I would so kick *** on that show. (assuming it's all on the up-n-up)

Dennis Gage cracks me up, but I like the fact he is willing to showcase cars without some high dollars in them sometimes.

ANY peek into Leno's garage is always a treat, but I wonder what the long term holds for those cars? I sometimes daydream of finding a way to con Leno into test driving some his fleet. (that's prolly stalking, huh?)

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean that speed has shows without "nascar" in their title? Who knew?

Yes, I built this replica South Dakobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roadster NJ View Post
    I enjoy Dennis Gage too. His shows from inside the Leno collection are incredible, I think that could be a series all by itself.

There are other shows I enjoy on Speed as well of course. My rant that started this thread was really directed at the ridiculous shows featuring morons screaming at each other, threatening each other, and building really questionable cars in 72 hours on no sleep.

I do not see the value in those shows. Can't we leave the "reality" shouting to the motorcycle drama queens?
    Agreed here also. I watched one the other day where in a hurry a guy took a bfh to a tab on an engine block interferring in the quick install. Blam! Broke the cast block. You lose!

I never watch NASCAR and watch SPEED all the time.
    FFR5109 purchased in 2004, on the road since 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know I keep hoping Car Warriors will get better. I do sort of like the concept of a car show contest, but I can't stand most of the people on the all star team, Rich Evans is annoying, the woman who is supposed to be a mechanic but I've never seen her do anything other then smart talk. The interiror guy Scott I think has done some interesting stuff with foam, and the one painter Rhino has done some pretty impressive looking stuff in very short period of time. I always wonder though how bad it looks up close, certainly they haven't wet sanded and polished anything.

Maybe it will get better though, I keep hoping it will :-)

That or they just need to bring back Junkyard Wars... I miss that show.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Junkyard wars was the original. The granddaddy. I miss it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, you are so right. I get sick of looking at the guide and seeing 12 to 14 hours of Nascar. I'm from the deep south and can't stand to see cars go around and around for 3 or 4 hours. Then someone complain because they got bumped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If Speed didn't carry Formula One, I wouldn't pay the $6 a month it costs me to have their hillbilly station on my TV.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you must've been happy yesterday. I don't know yet if I really like the idea of DRS and tires made of gummy-bear rejects, but all in all the strategic challenge of the race was fun to watch.

Alonso's start and run down to the first corner has to rank as one of the all-time great starts, up there with Senna's start in the rain at Donnington in '93.