Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration in New York

Post Thanks / Like

Registration in New York

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 818 build and was trying to find information on here about registering a kit car in New York. The only link I found was dead, so I did some research and here is what I know so far. As I learn more I will update this thread.

As of 12-13-2013, here is the link to NYS DMVs page for Custom Car registration
    http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/custom-built-cars.php

The following is a blurb from the site that gives the instructions for getting their "application package" for custom kit cars.
    "To help you manage the process, the DMV will send you an application package by mail that contains complete information about homemade vehicles, a checklist of instructions, a list of required vehicle equipment, and form MV-272.1 (application for VIN). This last form, which you might not need, is not available online.

Request this package from the DMV's Technical Services Bureau by calling (518) 474-5282 or mailing a request to:

NYSDMV Technical Services Bureau
    Vehicle Safety Services
    6 Empire State Plaza
    Albany, NY 12228"

I ordered my packet today so once it shows up I will share with everyone the contents. I used the phone number it was a simple 5 minute call. The guys asked what kit I was going to build and my address. If anyone knows more about this process please PM, I would love to talk to someone that has gone through this before. Maybe they can steer me away from some pit falls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumpers will likely be an issue. They are required and none exist on the 818.

You can also look on the SEMA site for additional info:
    http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Todd
    Last edited by smithtlw; 12-13-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added link

Post Thanks / Like
    Skelly,

Welcome to the forum!

Here is some information regarding the registration process in NYS.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...2168#post32168

Having done a Roadster, the process is not that hard but you will have to dot your I's and cross your T's. Remember you are dealing with two different State offices with their own agendas. The bumper issue will be easily solved by creating a simple removable set up for photos and the initial inspection. Then just pass them on to the next builder going through the process, much like the hot rod guys.

My BIGGEST words of advice, make sure you have CLEAR TITLE to you engine and transmission. You don't want to be the next guy to have to pull his engine at Tech Inspection because your number did not match.

LMK if you are close to Albany, I'd like to see your build!

Good Luck!

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a thread in the GTM section on registering in NYS.

I've stopped in the Albany DMV and talked with the one guy who handles all the kit cars in NYS. He was helpful and straight forward. You just gotta follow the rules that he, too, is stuck with.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont remember if the vin on the car matches numbers on the block. If I was still in NY I'd be in trouble since I've had three different blocks in my car.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as long as it wasn't stolen.......... Then again, can you account for your whereabouts on Tuesday, the 22nd????????

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told had to put bumpers on either bolted outside the body or inside the shell when I wanted to do a coupe, and do not get caught doing a temp job,ie: removable bumper, would be bad news as per Albany

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateCobraGuy View Post
    Skelly,

Welcome to the forum!

Here is some information regarding the registration process in NYS.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...2168#post32168

Having done a Roadster, the process is not that hard but you will have to dot your I's and cross your T's. Remember you are dealing with two different State offices with their own agendas. The bumper issue will be easily solved by creating a simple removable set up for photos and the initial inspection. Then just pass them on to the next builder going through the process, much like the hot rod guys.

My BIGGEST words of advice, make sure you have CLEAR TITLE to you engine and transmission. You don't want to be the next guy to have to pull his engine at Tech Inspection because your number did not match.

LMK if you are close to Albany, I'd like to see your build!

Good Luck!

Pat
    UpstateCobraGuy,
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying to pick up a halfway decent salvaged WRX from one of the insurance auctions. By "CLEAR TITLE" are you saying that may present a problem for me? My other option was going to be to buy a working WRX and drive it till I get a kit. I saw a post the other day saying they are almost done taking 2014 orders.

I am on Long Island(Nassau County), if you are ever in the area let me know and I would be glad to show you my progress (Once I start).

Post Thanks / Like
    smithtlw,
    Thanks for the additional resource.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Let me know if you need help with anything, I'm in Huntington.

I also have the DMV packet if you want to see scans of it, send me a PM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    UpstateCobraGuy,
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying to pick up a halfway decent salvaged WRX from one of the insurance auctions. By "CLEAR TITLE" are you saying that may present a problem for me? My other option was going to be to buy a working WRX and drive it till I get a kit. I saw a post the other day saying they are almost done taking 2014 orders.

I am on Long Island(Nassau County), if you are ever in the area let me know and I would be glad to show you my progress (Once I start).
    Salvage tittle is fine, they want to know where you obtained your parts.

HIH,

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All. I'm in NY too. Upstate (Rochester) area.
    Does anyone have ideas for a bumper kit? Front and rear? It seems like a bumper that mounts behind the fiberglass would function properly and not impact the lines of the car. Heck, look at any car today... steel bumpers hidden behind all kinds of plastic. Maybe bolting up steel cross pieces front and rear is possible without holes in the body and adding too much more weight.

Just a thought... I recall seeing something about the 818 frame having crumple zones... is there a way to prove that the frame design stands as is with sufficient safety precautions already in place?

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dougget; 02-04-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doug,

I'm further upstate NY than you, Plattsburgh. Good questions and I have the bumper issues too.

I think that you are right in that the bumper has to be higher.

I was also hoping to add a bracket to the front so that the 818 can be easily towed (as part of the process we need to get the car weighed before registration).

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

I think tucking a bumper behind the glass body will work, just need to make a subframe attachment and get the heights right. I'm wondering about a few other things though. Wipers, CHIMSL, rear side marker lights and a padded dash.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also speaking of having matching numbers, I spoke with Subaru national (local dealer didn't know), my engine serial # was confirmed as correct for the car I purchased (2002 Outback Wagon) but they had no way to confirm my trans. No Vin on either.

Thanks,
    John
    Saratoga Springs, NY

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhearn View Post
    Hi All,

I think tucking a bumper behind the glass body will work, just need to make a subframe attachment and get the heights right. I'm wondering about a few other things though. Wipers, CHIMSL, rear side marker lights and a padded dash.

Also speaking of having matching numbers, I spoke with Subaru national (local dealer didn't know), my engine serial # was confirmed as correct for the car I purchased (2002 Outback Wagon) but they had no way to confirm my trans. No Vin on either.

Thanks,
    John
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Hello John, Where did you find numbers on the engine after all?

George (the hot rod guy from Stillwater)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hm. My donor car doesn't have the original motor in it. Is there a good way to go about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    John
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Hi John,

I believe that FFR is supposed to be working on a mounting kit for the OEM wiper set up.

Not sure what CHIMSL refers to.

If we need rear side marker lights, there are "universals" available that look like they would mount in a hole cut in the side of the body.. There are also universal third brake lights that could be fitted.

For the "padded dash" requirement, I picked up a couple yards of a high quality marine vinyl and a thin foam padding. There is a Youtube video on re-covering your car dash that seems relevant using vinyl, contact cement and a heat gun. I hope that is sufficient.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racebrewer View Post
    Not sure what CHIMSL refers to.
    Center High Mounted Stop Light... the industry term for what most people call a third brake light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi George,

My son looked around and thought he saw a marking on the trans mount driver side far left top edge. So I got out the Roloc and sure enough I found a serial. No VIN though. Subaru confirmed it was correct. Guess it takes some younger eyes. HaHa.

As far as registration requirement questions I spoke with Mark Engle at DMV yesterday. He was very helpful. Since my Subie is titled in my name (I registered it as soon as I bought it, so I have the Title.) He said the title was all I would need to prove ownership of the major components. He did not seem to concerned about a padded dash.

Hi John,

I talked with FFR and they confirmed they are working on the wiper setup. No sense in reinventing the wheel I'll wait to see what they come up with. I have saved all the parts from my donor.

As for the CHIMSL I'll do as you said and find a universal one to mount on the rear deck.

Hi Pearldrummer7,

From my discussion with DMV the proving of ownership seems more to prevent stolen parts sale & usage. If the motor was not stolen you should be alright. If possible find out who swapped it and see if they have any documentation. (longshot but worth a try).

To all,

Call NYS DMV and request their package of information and forms for registering a custom vehicle. Talk to Mark Engle he was very helpful. @ 474-5282.

Whatever lighting you are using be sure it has DOT/SAE numbers on it.

Not sure about emissions stuff yet that is for the inspection station. If I get any info I'll post it.

Thanks for all your replies & info,

John

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about emissions stuff yet that is for the inspection station. If I get any info I'll post it.
    Thanks for the update John, that's good to know. As far as emissions, the way Tom Noonan (Mark's predecessor) explained it to me, none were required other than a PCV valve. He said you are the manufacturer, if keeping a particular emission control item (cats, air pump, etc) then it gets checked off on the form and must stay on the car. Of course, that only works upstate as downstate does required cats on kit cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pearldrummer7,

From my discussion with DMV the proving of ownership seems more to prevent stolen parts sale & usage. If the motor was not stolen you should be alright. If possible find out who swapped it and see if they have any documentation. (longshot but worth a try).

To all,

Call NYS DMV and request their package of information and forms for registering a custom vehicle. Talk to Mark Engle he was very helpful. @ 474-5282.

Whatever lighting you are using be sure it has DOT/SAE numbers on it.

Thanks for all your replies & info,

John
    Thanks for this great info, John. Is that a 518 number?

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frank,

Yes Sorry it is a 518 number.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the forms you need to fill out aren't on the Internet. Here's the stuff I got in my packet that isn't easy to find elsewhere...

A two page overview of what's required:

Another two page document that goes into more detail:

Post Thanks / Like
    So what are people going to do for a windshield defroster?

Post Thanks / Like
    I put in a Vintage Air heater with defrost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called the NY DMV today. He said the headlight height (24" to the bottom of the fixture, according to my phone call) won't be an issue as long as it's "close", but to not take any chances I'll be raising my front suspension as high as it can go and using my WRX snow tires.

No defroster needed if you have ONLY one piece of glass (windshield). The bumper thing is something I'm looking into...I wonder if the front radiator mount counts for the front, as it's collapsible.

Does anyone have any ideas for bumpers for NY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Called the NY DMV today. He said the headlight height (24" to the bottom of the fixture, according to my phone call) won't be an issue as long as it's "close", but to not take any chances I'll be raising my front suspension as high as it can go and using my WRX snow tires.

No defroster needed if you have ONLY one piece of glass (windshield). The bumper thing is something I'm looking into...I wonder if the front radiator mount counts for the front, as it's collapsible.

The bumpers only needs to be there for the photo's to Technical Services and the Field Investigations (VIN Assignment) inspection, I have heard that some have fallen off soon after.... Just saying...

If you have not already seen this thread, look it over. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...n-process.html

It has a few horror stories (sorry George) but if you look closely, plenty of insight on how the "process" goes in NYS. IMHO, not hard but you have to dot your i's and cross your t's.

Again good luck! And report back here when your car becomes legal.

Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post

I just went through this process and got my approval yesterday.

I needed to show that I had some structure under the bodywork of my GTM. The pictures below show what they approved.

Finally I needed to show that I had front and rear marker lights to pass the technical services review. (I think you are OK there bc your marker lights project out from the body)

Tech services are not looking for ram bars just something metal that marginally looks like a bumper and will withstand a light tap.

I sent these pictures of the GTM frame and I passed. hope that gives you an idea what they are looking for.

XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    NY State (Mark at the Albany DMV) has given their blessing to my bumper:

Same with my 12V defroster solution (heated fan from Amazon...~$20)

Just need to do my charcoal canister, windshield wiper, and slap some paperwork together and I'll be off to try and get my car legal!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice man. I am going to try and pass mine with the shorty windscreen and no wipers. I am hoping the build quality will cause them to overlook a few small things.

luckily kabacj just went through the process, lives nearby and I can pick his brain.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woah, with out the windshield? From what I understand that won't work. BUT I think it'd be awesome if it did...

I'd love to know what Kabacj went through/thought. It seems like if the paperwork is in order it should be fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sigh.

So the NYS DMV is "3 weeks behind, at least" on home made vehicle applications. Considering I had to snowblow the driveway this morning in upstate NY, 3 weeks (at least) from now might be too late. I'm considering holding off on street legality for this season and re prepping the car for the track, with street legality taking a back burner spot until either right after the spring thaw or late next season (don't want to miss any prime track time).

bummed

Post Thanks / Like
    You just have to trailer it to the DMV, right? No snow tires required! ;p Plus they might give you bonus points for hauling a roadster out to them in a snow storm. I say go for it and get it over with!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    You just have to trailer it to the DMV, right? No snow tires required! ;p Plus they might give you bonus points for hauling a roadster out to them in a snow storm. I say go for it and get it over with!
    I do, but it's ~3.5 hours with a RWD truck that I don't usually drive in the snow anyway. Plus it makes everything a little more complicated (later start to all those winter mods, cold tires getting hard in the garage instead of sitting in the house, etc.).

Though, it would be REALLY nice to get it over with. There's a strong chance it doesn't ever happen if it doesn't happen soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm headed down to the inspection station next Tuesday for my appointment! Very excited and a little nervous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a VIN!

I got there (in the rain, naturally) about 20 minutes early, and they said to unload and come right around back. I pulled into the garage bay where they do inspections. We went through receipts first (no problems at all there), and then they told me to go to the waiting room. I was shocked that I couldn't watch the procedure.

So about 20 minutes later they came to the little service window and told me to come to the garage. Guy goes "only one issue..." and I cringed, thinking of the number of things it could be and he says "where do you want the VIN sticker? We usually put it on the door jam and you don't have doors"

Now that's my kind of problem I packed up and headed home and unloaded everything. Painless, easy, and if it weren't for the rain I would say pleasant, too. I highly recommend the Syracuse Field Inspection station if you're anywhere near it. They really seemed like they wanted to pass the car.

They did seem like they checked the sun visors and wipers (since they were in different positions than when I left them. They didn't notice the lack of charcoal canister. I wonder how many other things I could've gotten away without...

Now...onto insurance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my VS-103 from the Technical Services Bureau and will be getting an inspection tomorrow (weather permitting). It's a shop ~2 miles away from my house that I know and trust, and then I'll be done except for insurance! And the winter mods can begin!!

Such a relief that I'm in the home stretch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check it out! She's inspected. Insurance is the only thing standing between me and plates.

He even let me drive the whole rig in so I didn't have to unload in the rainy snow.

Although it's 35* and rainy/slushy, this "warm" weather has been amazing for me getting this car on the road. If I could find some liability-only coverage tomorrow I would have plates this year! But it might just be an "in Spring" thing.

If you have any questions about the NY process for homemade vehicle, feel free to reach out to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    All- for the record:

I have NY plates in hand for the 818 now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast