Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 508's stroker build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Did you order your Wilwoods from FFR or somewhere else? I was under the impression that the WRX kit came with lines as it is marketed as a bolt on kit.
    We did order it from FFR and thats what we thought too. But after calling factory five they told us that the lines are separate. I guess technically it does bolt on, but you just can use them as brakes… just fancy wheel jewelry.

We ordered our line and everything thing else separate. We can post the info if anyone wants the correct lines and other parts needed for the install.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    I ordered my Wilwoods from FFR and they did not come with the lines either. Randy, did you install 16" lines in the front AND back? I am about to order these myself, any recommendations?
    16 in the back and 18 in the front. My dad has all the website info and list of things he ordered to get them to work. Ill make sure that info is up tonight and have him PM you.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Capital Motorsports (cmwraceparts.com) and the following is the setup that worked for us

2 ea XRP402603 -3 to 3/8-24 male to female fittings (packs of 2)
    4 ea XRP981603 -3 to 1/8in Pipe Straight Fitting
    2 ea SBL318 18in -3 Brake Line
    2 ea SBL316 16in -3 Brake Line

The cost is about $90 for everything, though you could save about $17 if you want to use the fittings from the kit and delete the first item in the list above. I purchased them because they allow us to run the brake lines directly into the fittings without using the metric adapters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the parts list! I have the Wilwood 12/12 setup from FFR and was wondering about what to do for the lines. I ordered your list from CMW last night. Your setup looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    its stuff like this that really bothers me. If you are going to sell a bolt on brake kit, it should be complete. Raise the price by $100.00 and include everything needed. Makes everyones life easier.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, the Wilwood kits cannot use the lines and fittings provided with the 818 kit?

I too got the 12/12, so I guess I have to check on that as well.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    To follow up on Mike's sentiment, ... And work with the providers to ensure it includes the right material. On the Wilwood's web site, when selecting the factory five 818 as the car model, it gives the same brake line kit as you would use on a Subaru rather than recognizing that the brake lines on the 818 are 3/8-24 and that the geometry of the rear end is different than the subaru necessitating longer lines.

At a minimum, Factory Five should include a note on the brake kits indicating brake lines are needed and not included. I spoke to them over two weeks ago and still nothing qualifying the brake kit on the purchase page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
    Just purchased, very helpful thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my Wilwoods from FFR
    Which config? 12/12?
    Frank

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Which config? 12/12?
    I believe the 12/12 is a reference to the 4 piston 12 inch brakes on the factory five order form, indicating the size of the brake disks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Which config? 12/12?
    4 Piston, 12”, red, drilled/slotted although in hindsight I wonder if I should just gone with slotted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    My father and I received our 818s kit yesterday!!! Now let the built thread begin. The donor is my old 04' wrx that had 100k miles on it. This is our first factory five build and the whole thing will be a learning experience. I owned my wrx since 07' and auto-crossed it for many of those years. I've met a lot of awesome people thru auto-cross and even ended up running the crew of a rally team of a guy I met thru auto-x. I can say that I know a lot about Subaru's (deff not everything) and both my dad and I are looking forward to learning more about the 818.

picture of said donor
    Attachment 24259

Attachment 24264

Attachment 24262

Attachment 24261

The list of notable parts going on the car:
    - Stroked ej205 to 2.125liter (built by wicked innovations) with a 16g
    - built 5 speed with PPG gears and a Modena torsen lsd
    - Wilwood BBK

I'm sure there are more and I can't think of them… they'll show up as the thread evolves.
    Did everything fit on the trailer or did you have to stuff the car with boxes too? Mike is letting me borrow the same trailer. How many straps and 2x4s should I bring?

Post Thanks / Like
    4 Piston, 12”, red, drilled/slotted although in hindsight I wonder if I should just gone with slotted.
    I got the same (F12"/R12.18"), except black (better final result for me cuz of wheels and body color) and only slotted.
    So I will probably order this chunk of parts too!
    tnx
    Frank

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiny View Post
    Did everything fit on the trailer or did you have to stuff the car with boxes too? Mike is letting me borrow the same trailer. How many straps and 2x4s should I bring?
    We had the car stuffed full of boxes, 10 in the car, 2 on the trailer. We used Mike's 4 straps only and they put cardboard down on the trailer. You can certainly fit more on the trailer, but will have to bring straps or tape to tie them down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the 12/12 is a reference to the 4 piston 12 inch brakes on the factory five order form, indicating the size of the brake disks
    Correct. Actually 12/12.19 to be precise.
    Last edited by Frank818; 07-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    My donor came with Wilwood 6 piston 13" front brakes. I will buy the rear Wilwoods to match. So do I double the order?
    Dru

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DruOdil View Post
    My donor came with Wilwood 6 piston 13" front brakes. I will buy the rear Wilwoods to match. So do I double the order?
    Dru
    Check on wilwood.com. The six piston appears to come with brake lines in the kit but it comes with the Subaru lines which will likely be too short unless you can get them to substitute 16s for the 14s.

Post Thanks / Like
    The drilled rotors look great! Unfortunately, they don't hold up well to serious abuse, which is why you won't see them on a track rat's car (they crack too quickly). They're perfectly fine for street duty.

Best,
    -j

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I might include a photo of the 16 inch brake line on the rear brake. I included a photo of the 14 inch brake line on my Jan 8 posting. I'm much happier with the 16.

BrakeLine16.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks pretty neat, Randy. Very clean bend and fitting.
    Frank

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a couple of weeks with no real progress, we received the springs this week and were able to complete the front suspension and are back in business. 45 days since we bought the kit and the significant parts we are still missing include the fuel tank and the carbon fiber components. After getting the front end together, we decided the sway bar end links provided by Factory Five were too long. We had to cut them to length. The driver's side were about 1-1/2 inches too long and the passenger side was about 3 inches too long. We cut the links so that we had an inch of thread past the jam nut (matching the depth of the ball thread inside the ball joints that go on each end) and on the other side, we removed 1-1/8 inches of thread. The first three photos show what too long is and the last photo shows the end link after modification.
    SBELtooLongLeft2P_zps850aec6a.jpg

SBELtooLongRight2P_zpsb902b46c.jpg

SBELafterModP_zps2da37666.jpg

There's a lot of traffic on the fuel tank so I'll add what I've learned in the last week here. Factory 5 has redesigned the fuel tank to yield more room on the driver's side. The gentleman I spoke to said the tank was smaller on the driver's side with a "bump out on the passenger side". They said the new fuel tank would be available on 1 March and at 6' tall, I will want the new tank. I'm curious how the new tank with the old plate that installs between the tank and the seats will yield more leg room. I'd love for factory five to post something so we could see how this will work.
    Last edited by RandyB; 05-15-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    the manual states that the sway links need to be cut to fit
    your rear lower control arm bushings are upside down, the wiggle is supposed to be down, swap side to side and flip em over
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    We swapped them side to side, but we loosened them up before we put them on so they may have rotated. We will rotate them 180 degrees on the rear of the control arm. Thanks for pointing out the error.

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photo of the rolling chassis.

iphone086.jpg
    Last edited by RandyB; 05-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, at some point I will be up that way

Post Thanks / Like
    what serial # is your chassis? Is the rack centered or still off towards the driver?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have chassis number 95. If anything, the steering rack is biased a little more toward the passenger side than it was in the original installation. We had to reduce the number of exposed threads on the passenger side and increase the number of exposed threads on the driver side.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool build. it's great that you are building this with your dad. Pretty awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job with your build so far!

Good to hear they are making a new tank. I wish I had a little more leg room at 5' 11" with the current stock setup. I'm curious if they are providing a different firewall as well. I'd be interested in swapping out if able, even though I've already drilled and fitted my fuel tank and firewall.

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    We tried to be neat about our brake and clutch line routing and had our lines routed along the outside frame in the front of the car.

origBLp_zpsef4c1f87.jpg

Yesterday, we tried dry fitting some of the aluminum pieces just to make sure we knew where they all went and weren't going to be in trouble later in the build when we tried to add them. We discovered that the lines were run where the "80171 - FRONT WHEEL WELL INSIDE, REAR, LEFT" needed to be, so we removed a portion of the lines, drew a line along the front where the inside of the wheel well rested and modified the routing of the brake and clutch line. We also fixed the rear of the control arm - they just needed to be rotated half a turn on the control arm.

BLrerunP_zps62dbe9fe.jpg
    Last edited by RandyB; 05-15-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same problem. Ended up going under the suspension arm.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a several month hiatus (imposed by personal injury and lack of a fuel tank), we are back to working on the car. After waiting 5 months from the time we received the car to receive the hot rod fuel tank, we ultimately ended up ordering the Boyd fuel tank and went back to work. Progress this weekend consisted of getting the fuel tank installed and getting the plumbing completed (except fuel plumbing). We have the radiator and piping installed and finished up rerouting the brake lines. We installed the fuel tank ala the Replica Part's thread (with rubber bulb and spacers). Below are some photos of the current progress.

iphone046.jpg

iphone049.jpg

iphone051.jpg
    Last edited by RandyB; 05-14-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like Boyd's changed the design of the fuel filler area a bit.

Larry

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been spending some time getting the wiring in place and placing the firewall. We got the firewall re-bent to 105 degrees at a local sheet metal shop and then with some help from the local Factory5 guru we built some fillers to plug the holes left on the side of the vehicle - Thanks Mike. Here is a photo of the pattern and bent metal used to fill the hole.

iphone039.jpg

Then we built a custom mounting bracket for the main fuse box using the pattern shown.

iphone037.jpg

Here is a shot shooting the progress on the electrical so far. We still have some work to do to complete the electrical.

iphone040.jpg
    Last edited by RandyB; 05-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been spending some time getting the wiring in place and placing the firewall. We got the firewall re-bent to 105 degrees at a local sheet metal shop and then with some help from the local Factory5 guru we built some fillers to plug the holes left on the side of the vehicle - Thanks Mike. Here is a photo of the pattern and bent metal used to fill the hole.

Hi Randy
    Looks good man.
    Are you going to put some kind of cover over the ECU connector? Those connectors are not waterproof.
    Bob

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only cover I plan to put over the ECU is the passenger seat. I put the ECU inside the firewall to avoid subjecting it to adverse weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only cover I plan to put over the ECU is the passenger seat. I put the ECU inside the firewall to avoid subjecting it to adverse weather.
    I hope you never get rained on....
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Capital Motorsports (cmwraceparts.com) and the following is the setup that worked for us

The cost is about $90 for everything, though you could save about $17 if you want to use the fittings from the kit and delete the first item in the list above. I purchased them because they allow us to run the brake lines directly into the fittings without using the metric adapters.
    Very sadly, Capital does not ship outside the USA.
    I have to find and source those parts from elsewhere if I find them all.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, are the brake lines -3 SHST?
    Frank