Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Attention R owners - rear wing mounting, what was your solution?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Attention R owners - rear wing mounting, what was your solution?

We have a plan, it's removable and maybe a tad more complicated than I'd like. The goal is for it to be able to support my body weight.

What has everyone else done?
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    it may be for the GTM but Shane's wing mount might give you ideas.

N

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a very heavy mount. I know it has to be strong, but if engineered right it might not have to weigh a ton. I think the ability to support your weight would be a sufficient test. Has anyone see what they did on the FFR model?

Post Thanks / Like

Wing mounting on the 818R prototype

this is the only picture I have of the wing mounting bracket.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Clary View Post
    That looks like a very heavy mount. I know it has to be strong, but if engineered right it might not have to weigh a ton. I think the ability to support your weight would be a sufficient test. Has anyone see what they did on the FFR model?
    His original mount was all aluminium. He just changed some parts to steel to keep the price low and for ease of manufacture. Like I said, I posted the link to give the OP some ideas.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR mount looks much simpler, the photo looks like 3/4 square tubing. I don't have a chassis yet so I don't know the demensions. but apparently it has worked for them. I would think they could make some photos to make replicating it easier. On a side note, It is Christmas and I am worried about making something for a chassis that wont be here until September. I think Ill 'go eat dinner LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    What did everyone get with their wing? Just the wing, or did it have the supports for above the deck lid?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFr wing does not come with frame mounts. Only mounts from the wing to the deck of the car. Shane's mounts go from the wing, through the deck and attaches solidly to the chassis.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the only picture I could find also. Same idea though, removeable for WHEN the tranny ****s out. Still leaves me room for the intercooler which is good. Time to mock some panels and weld on the frame some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the wing is going on where we think is best and we'll just have to do our own wind tunnel testing in SLC this summer.
    Last edited by SixStar; 04-24-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really isn't much different with the "S" The manual is more of a guide, you meander around and do what you need to do.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    It really isn't much different with the "S" The manual is more of a guide, you meander around and do what you need to do.
    We had to ask what to do with the R suspension. I had to make my own spacers (instead of their suggestion of stacked washers.....)
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the wing mount, I'd be interested in a solution as well. I plan on adapting it to my S for track days and remove it for street driving. Some type of bracket that starts from the chassis and meets the wing mount at the rear deck lid with a quick release would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the S is a little better supported because they've built more of them, shipped more of them, and it's more about performance and looks. A rough looking R can use the excuse "it's just a racecar".

While I don't know optimal position, a frame work that bolts to the outside of the rear lower frame and the removable cross brace is probably the best way to go. I don't see many other places to mount it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I think the S is a little better supported because they've built more of them, shipped more of them, and it's more about performance and looks. A rough looking R can use the excuse "it's just a racecar".
    Short memory? Remember how we felt last August, only 3 customer cars were before our builds... The "R" guys are just running into the same types of issues that we did...

the LCA issue, manual still has the wrong photos
    the radiator too low, manual still has no ID or fix (are the new frames fixed?)
    Brake lines, missing bolts, steering rack brackets, rack length
    etc...
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 01-05-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to piss off FFR but I do want to help others. Would anyone be interested in a page by page manual supplement of the issues that I found while building the R? I've been taking notes as I go along and I KNOW they would be useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Would anyone be interested in a page by page manual supplement of the issues that I found while building the R? I've been taking notes as I go along and I KNOW they would be useful.
    Yes please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Short memory? Remember how we felt last August, only 3 customer cars were before our builds... The "R" guys are just running into the same types of issues that we did...
    I should say, better community support since there's much more trial and error complete.

I don't want to piss off FFR but I do want to help others. Would anyone be interested in a page by page manual supplement of the issues that I found while building the R? I've been taking notes as I go along and I KNOW they would be useful.
    You should. A lot of us S buliders documented either in our threads or otherwise fixes required. Makes it easier for the next guy.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were Dave- I would be dropping the hammer.
    Its not like we have not been asking for fixes/updates or info from FFR since Aug.

I am really starting to believe they really do not care.
    Thanks- Chad

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I am really starting to believe they really do not care." -

Chad I think you find that they do care if you call them. Email, does work from time to time, but calling is always best. It's a double edged sword IMO...the kit came out, the BETA builders were not done with the car (the S)...you can't believe the amount of changes that were made based on mine and Wayne's feedback...waiting list of over 1 year and only 1 to 2 kits going out per week...there were no R BETA builders. The hope from the customers as a whole was they wanted more kits produced per week to shorten lead times and get kits in people's hands...well they ramped up to 5 a week..don't forget this isn't the only kit they support... my expectations were, it's a new kit and there will be growing pains; couple that with a very quick ramp up to 5 kits a week...that's a lot of moving pieces!

I'm not trying to defend FFR, mostly because I don't think they need defending, and also not trying to be argumentative. I'm just saying we need to look at the expectations in a realist and historic way...If you look at their other kits at the same point from the day of launch...they are WAY ahead. We're only about 6 months or less from full-up production and over 100 kits out there and people still screaming for faster production.. "I hope they can increase production" (was written on another thread)...

Finally, I also wish the car was perfect in all areas of my concern right out of the box...it wasn't...but that's ok...my ECOBOOST F-150 isn't either...but I have and am having the most fun trying to figure out those issues on my own with the 818...I really needed a windshield wiper...still waiting for that...built my own...I want a top..soft or hard....still waiting...will probably build one (too darn cold now to even think about doing that!)... I don't know...I guess in the end it is expectation management and patients, we're less than a year from launch...it IS a lot of money and it's our money, so I can see your point totally...All I can promise you is that the first time you start it (first start), the first time you go-cart it, and the first time you hit the track.....none of this will matter cause you will be smiling from ear to ear....
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this what the build Wiki's are for? I may be wrong , but that's what I thought they were for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Back to the wing mount, I'd be interested in a solution as well. I plan on adapting it to my S for track days and remove it for street driving. Some type of bracket that starts from the chassis and meets the wing mount at the rear deck lid with a quick release would be perfect.
    I was considering this too, but after the wind tunnel testing I decided I didn't want to have to remove the splitter each time I removed the wing.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you Erik. I will try calling next time.

Email has been horrible. I am still waiting on a reply from two emails I sent 12/9. But since then, I have found the answer from two guys on the forum who had the similar problem. If it were not from the posts on the forum, it would be even more frustrating.

Here is a thought- Maybe they should slow down production, and fix the issues before send out more kits? Even better, acknowledge the problems and communicate them to builders. One email or post from FFR seems alot easier than 75 people asking the same question.

I admit I can fix the issues with the kit myself, better than FFR after seeing some of their solutions, that is not the problem. I'm always the person that sticks up for the little guy- Some people building these kits may not have the resources that you and I have. Communication goes a long way in my book.

I appreciate you and Wayne on this forum. Without you two, it would be Chaos....lol
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Email has been horrible.

... acknowledge the problems and communicate them to builders. One email or post from FFR seems alot easier than 75 people asking the same question.

I admit I can fix the issues with the kit myself, better than FFR after seeing some of their solutions, that is not the problem. I'm always the person that sticks up for the little guy- Some people building these kits may not have the resources that you and I have. Communication goes a long way in my book.
    Erik, you and Wayne have history and a relationship with FFR we do not. I don't feel as if they respond to us as they do to you. I always feel as if I'm being treated as a friend etc... but I am almost always unhappy with their answers.

Like Chad, I want better communication.

They absolutely need a PROACTIVE communication system. Getting answers after we struggle with a problem that you and Wayne already dealt with makes us go through un-needed frustration. Hearing that they appreciate my help over and over does absolutely nothing to help future builders or reduce my frustration.

Chad what is the serial # of your car?

As an example the radiator is too low, that had to be identified during prototype stage. It still exists for Chad's car, as it did on my S #17. Other than the forum how does a builder know about this? It requires some modifications, so why hasn't something been added to the build instructions or even better why hasn't the radiator support been fixed?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm #44
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Any builders making progress on this?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet. I have some ideas. It will be the last thing I do. I want to get it running and driving first. I know I will be welding something together.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been giving this a lot of thought. In reading some the build threads, it seems that the trouble some have had in getting the body panels to mount properly with proper gaps, etc. might translate into inconsistency in the precise position of the rear deck height from mock-up to final mounting.

I will be using the included mounting plate on the wing mounting assembly and having it sit on a matching plate on the top of the frame mount which I will fabricate. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to have both of the mounting plates just under the rear deck so that the upright supporting the wing protrudes through the rear deck.

Do those of you who have more experience with the body mounting process have any comments about this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if we could incorporate the hood pins to where the wing mounts meet the fibreglass? if there's a flange there to support the wing anyway, why not just glass some small round stock or flat bar to the bottom of the hood to keep its shape and only mount it at the wing stays? Or forget hood pins and bolt it into threaded holes in the flange below. Just brainstorming.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post

I'm thinking that, if the below-deck lid mounting plate junction idea works out, i'll just use weatherstripping to seal the area around the mount and behind the mount where the deck lid will have had a slit cut into it so the lid can be removed. See my earlier posts here for comments about the deck lid height from mock-up to final fitting being variable. Maybe I'm worried about nothing.

In the case of the S, there could be a removable piece of plastic which could be inserted when the wing is removed. There are enough of us working on this that we'll have solutions soon.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    See Brando's solution, starting at post #471...http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Thread/page12

That is a sweet set-up!