FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello From Long Island - New Build in the Works

Post Thanks / Like

Hello From Long Island - New Build in the Works

Hello FFR community. I'm headed up to FFR for the first time next Wednesday with a couple friends. Had my eye set on a replica Cobra for about 15 years now and I think its time to pull the trigger; the 50/50 deal ignited the fire under my butt to get things going. I think I have a pretty good set of build specs in mind which I'd like to share and receive comments and suggestions. Plan to run the coyote 5.0L not sure which flavor yet. I was planning on the BOSS (M50B) but I'm thinking I might save a few pennies and run the "base" (M50) crate motor or step up a bit to the A50NA. Regardless I love the idea of a modern, variable cam timing, all aluminum engine in a classic vehicle like the MK4. I'd like to run a Tremec but unsure if it'll be a 5 or 6 speed. Solid rear axle with a Torsen. IRS has its place, I just feel its not for me and this car unless i'm talked into it. Planning on dark metallic gray paint, no stripes and thinking I might go with flat black powder coat on everything that is usually chrome. Big brakes of course to slow things down. One thing I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing up at FFR is the chassis. Has anyone ever attached any kind of trailer hitch to one of these cars? Before you start calling me crazy let me explain. One of my closest buddies was paralyzed from the chest down 4 years ago and he is a big automotive fan; him and his wheel chair absolutely must be able to roll with me. I'm thinking of building some sort of rack that could slide into a 2" receiver and would carry his chair which I'm very doubtful would fit in the trunk of an MK4. I'm sure I could come up with something with the help of you all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this project and joining the FFR community. Thanks for having me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Your build plans sound great. The answer to your trailer hitch question is yes. The legendary Dick Smith added a trailer hitch to his FFR roadster to pull a small trailer.
    Doug

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome ! There are plenty of FFR cars on Long Island. A lot of places to drive them and show them off. What part of Long Island are you from ?

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, thanks! I was hoping to even be able to tow my dirtbike on a small trailer to the local mx track as crazy as that may sound. But wha cool rig that would be. I do it now with a 4.6 Mustang so it souldnt be a problem..

Hey Kenny, I'm from the Port Jeff area. Although I haven't been in years, I imagine the bald hill car show during the summer hosts a number of cobra replicas.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am from Holbrook, The Bald Hill show is not what it used to be , has switched over to mostly Tunner type, younger crowd. The best one is Oakdale on Tuesday nights but there is a cruise almost every night someplace.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,
    I'm from Long beach, one of the main clubs on the island is The Columbus Circle Cobra club. Small fee (25.00 for last four years) that is given to a charity each year.
    We set up cruises all around the island and some up state.
    Also, not associated with the club, there is a run to Lake George each year, usually around the second weekend in July. We take over the great lawn at Fort William Henry Hotel and have a blast.

If anyone needs a hand or suggestions let me know, I can also bring the car by for some motivation if needed.

Cheers

Bob S.
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome. I'm sure you could rig something up. If not check in with TNT conversions in Bohemia. Leo is one hell of a fabricator, I'm sure he could weld you up something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmgorilla View Post
    That would be awesome. I'm sure you could rig something up. If not check in with TNT conversions in Bohemia. Leo is one hell of a fabricator, I'm sure he could weld you up something.
    Thanks for the heads up, I assume you're referring to the trailer hitch. I always look to see if someone has already done something I want to do, or better yet, sells something to do it. I haven't come across anything stellar yet (although I found I few great ideas) so I'll do all the design and fabrication myself as I have access to a plethora of fabrication equipment at work. I will most likely use the quad shock mounts. Although I'll be working with Forte to develop a rear anti roll bar setup which may use the quad shock mount as well. It will be fun and maybe it will turnout to be something I can sell!!! haha

Cheers,

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with Casey Designs (Forum vendor) I believe he used to offer a hitch kit designed for the roadster.
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    late to the party but welcome. I'm currently building a 818 in Huntington.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.