Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Factory Five?

Post Thanks / Like

What's next for Factory Five?

Is there another car in development? GT40 or something else? Curious, I am wrapping up my second build, which is a 33, and wondered if there was something new that I would need to save my pennies for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now many of us are waiting for the 818 Coupe. Think, mini GTM. With near all-weather protection, it would enable the builder to drive the car in three and a half seasons, like the Daytona.

After that, it's likely still in research. Kits are driveline based, it has to be popular, and parts easily obtainable. Starting there, I'm thinking something based on the Ecoboost could be possible. The issue is, what kind of car?

I'd be happy with a AWD Jeep looking kit if the portal axle boxes were part of it. Naturally aspirated Subaru AWD with simple ladder frame, molded body, tail gate, fold down windshield, and 16" of real ground clearance. The Mopar conversions on a Wrangler allow running 40" tires.

If it uses a CJ3 spec top that obstacle is overcome, the styling could be classic but not a direct copy. The grille? They lost that argument in court, Jeep doesn't have a lock on the grille. (Nobody wants more lawsuits, tho.)

Think about F5's product line - race car, race car, race car, race car, hot rod, race car. Off road is due, spread your market offering and get into a huge fan base of recreational users who are already chopping up vintage rigs that are getting rarer - so much so the aftermarket offers frames and molded bodies for retro builders . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my vote. Please finish and send my coupe before doing anything else. This wait is killing me! Then develop a GT40. Keep it old school and keep it Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't be seeing a GT40; thats what the GTM was going to be before the lawsuits. As for the next all new model that is not an extension or derivitive of something already in production think Trophy Truck...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Tirod's Jeep idea (I might be partial - I've owned/built 5). Parts for old CJ's are widely available and Jeeps can be customized in so many ways, which is part of the FFR mantra. Plus they are simple and fun to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote is for a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe incorporating the mods from "Roxanne" (Hankl's build - well worth a look if you have not seen it - stretched frame, longer cabin & doors) which FFR was following closely but with roll up windows glass windows. Hopefully they are already on this???

Post Thanks / Like
    Revision of the Spyder, then a truck
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet Dave Smith learned a long time ago to always put down the coffee cup before opening this kind of thread. ;>)
    Knowing what's next and then seeing what we predict and what we ask for has to make him feel everything from great pride to extreme amusement

What he's really producing is an erector set for fulfilling a dream. We all put it together a little differently and often criticize what comes in the box
    but no matter which parts list it comes with the dream is always carefully packed in each kit.
    Well done Dave

Dale
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see a formula car or lemans prototype like car.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave has invested a ton of money into the 818, I would expect they will revise and possibly expand the 818 before anything really new. They've delivered 100 kits so far, at 10K each, that's a million dollars GROSS. They probably spent several million (if not more) to develop the 818. Even if they are making a $2k per 'car' net profit, it will take sales of a thousand 818s to pay back a 2 million dollar development cost (if it was that low). Dave has to make a profit first. He wants the company to grow as much as the rest of us do, but he can't just bounce from one new project to another.

The orders for the 818 are probably into 2015 now. I think the sales of them will increase as more and more people find out about them. There are less than 5 completed cars that we know of. Not many people have seen them on the street or on the track yet. They are going to have to increase production capacity which is yet another significant investment.

Expanding too fast and borrowing too much has killed a lot of businesses.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't know how many of you have seen ford's new race engine ( 3 cylinder) it is their motor of the future. they ran it in Germany in an f1 style car . Look at the youtube video. It will be a great motor for someones kit project. Probably my next attempt after the 818s
    kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval_bowtie_guy View Post
    Dave has invested a ton of money into the 818, I would expect they will revise and possibly expand the 818 before anything really new. They've delivered 100 kits so far, at 10K each, that's a million dollars GROSS. They probably spent several million (if not more) to develop the 818. Even if they are making a $2k per 'car' net profit, it will take sales of a thousand 818s to pay back a 2 million dollar development cost (if it was that low). Dave has to make a profit first. He wants the company to grow as much as the rest of us do, but he can't just bounce from one new project to another.

The orders for the 818 are probably into 2015 now. I think the sales of them will increase as more and more people find out about them. There are less than 5 completed cars that we know of. Not many people have seen them on the street or on the track yet. They are going to have to increase production capacity which is yet another significant investment.

You might be very surprised at what comes out of FFR this year

Da Bunnies know....

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval_bowtie_guy View Post

I think your numbers are off by a huge amt... His development costs might be close, however his profit per car have to be much higher. As a small business owner/MFG I can assure you that you don't have a product unless you can double or triple your money on each unit sold... His equipment is amortized over years so the gross amount isn't as important as the actual effect on cash flow (payments) and right now capital is cheap and with his customer support I'd loan Dave my money at a good rate, FFR is an excellent candidate for a loan.

With absolutely no clue to his actual expenses I'd be surprised if a 818 kit actually cost FFR more than $3,000 - $3,500 and it should be less than $3,000

I expect he will try to do both... hard top and other "extras" to fill out the 818 line as well as looking into other products to expand the line. All of his existing products appear very healthy, the GTM may be the only minimally profitable offering (lower volume increases parts costs) but it is needed as a "halo" offering

They have mentioned a desire to look at the eco-boost engines for a high mileage 818 coupe/hard top
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    From reading the tea leaves on their face book page, I'd guess a truck version of the 33 or a trophy truck. The hard top/coupe version of the 818 was all part of that idea (swatch watch) .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    You might be very surprised at what comes out of FFR this year

Da Bunnies know....

Bill S.
    X2. Hoping a retro truck.

As for R&D I would guess 300k and I think the 2k per car net profit is accurate. The profit is in the extras. I would say 150 cars would be break even (all purely a guess though).

Post Thanks / Like
    You keep talking of a Jeep, how about the old school Bronco body design? Truck/SUV/4 wheeling fun. Hard top or soft top. Just food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are way off the mark on production costs. If FFR is netting over 10% per car with some R&D, tooling, molds, and programming amortization, plus general, sales, and administrative expenses, I would be very, very surprised. When you look at the quality, engineering, attention to detail, and complete nature of their cars, which has been totally responsible for their success, there is no way they are making the
    insane profits you have suggested. I'm not aware of any business that has a cost of goods, or net operating cost of 15% of their selling price. I have been a partner in a Cobra kit manufacturer, and we never realized over 3% net. It is a very competitive business, like most other businesses. I commend FFR for their excellence and they earn everything they make.

Post Thanks / Like
    '33 Pickup, for those who think it might be a 33 truck.

This is something I have been working on, still has a lot to be done on it. The windshield visor is an option.

You can following progress on the design here.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Design-Ideas

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Andrew View Post
    I'm not aware of any business that has a cost of goods, or net operating cost of 15% of their selling price.
    Maybe not the kit car business. A survey of small businesses with $2m in sales showed a wood mfg co having a profit margin of 15%. Medical supply co of the same size was 27%, and computer and electronics businesses realized a 54% profit margin. Its all about business efficiency and the ability to command a premium based on brand reputation or the ability of your product to compete (or inability of others to compete against you).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a work of art, whether a new car or upgrades . . . FFR rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, it will likely be evolutionary, not revolutionary. A 818 Coupe and '33 truck are all logical extensions.

Then again, something clicked and I saw "motorcycle kit."

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they are going to have a hard enough time keeping up with their current orders. Congrats to them on the successful debut of the 818.

If I had a wish list it would be to see them improve the body standards of their other offerings (such as the GTM and 65 Coupe) to equal the 818, where you could simply install the body on the chassis and drive. I realize this could be very expensive though. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious as to why that is expensive. When I bought my current boat I was able to design the colors and then went to the factory and went through a tour of how they spray the fiberglass hull into a mold. Why can't ffr bodies be made the same way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
    I'm curious as to why that is expensive. When I bought my current boat I was able to design the colors and then went to the factory and went through a tour of how they spray the fiberglass hull into a mold. Why can't ffr bodies be made the same way?
    Costs are the major factor.......Volume is the second............

Bill S.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in 2001, FFR was developing a GT40 kit, based on the established CAV model. They even had a completely built kit, when Shelby decided to sue FFR. This project was killed, and we won't see it come back, especially since Dave wants to start moving into all-original designs. As Jeff Kleiner stated, that project was turned into the GTM. If you carefully look at the GTM schematics presented on one of the older DVDs (still waiting on the new one), you'll see the outline of the GT40 drawn over it.

I've tried to convince Dave to bring the Spyder GT back, but that's also unlikely to happen. That was Mark's project, which was never completed, due in part to Mark leaving the company. Hence the lack of a full interior, top, or windows. I'd love to see this come back, as it was the kit I had chosen to build back in '03. I had even sent Dave my design of the vehicle's nose (so it wouldn't look like the Coupe from the front), and a soft top.

A truck variation of the '33 is interesting, but the company had advertised three different body shapes to go on the 818 frame. If they still plan on this, then I'd assume that this is what they're working on. After all, this is the vehicle FFR wants to represent the company in the near future, by making it an international kit.

I've heard the rumors of a motorcycle kit. And although I'm a biker who'd love to see this happen, I've seen many bike kit companies go bankrupt. Unfortunately, there's not a big market for building a kit bike. Of course, FFR is a different kind of manufacturing breed, so if anyone can make that market successful, it is FFR. I'd definitely buy one.

I personally don't think that they'll put much more effort into the Coupe. Although I just ordered this kit, I know that it sells the least amount. The GTM just got a major revision, and it's also their most expensive kit to manufacture and sell, so I don't think that this one will get their immediate attention now.

I remember how excited I was being one of the first group of people to see the '33 body and frame, while the kit was still being developed. I'd love to see what they have cooking now, but I doubt it is a new kit. Nevertheless, a revival of the Spyder GT still gets my vote. Just my two cents.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
    Using a fiberglass chopper gun may be easier, but it also results in a much heavier end product.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FFR has a lot on their plate. If they ramp up the 818 production and develop the variations such as a hard top for the roadster and a targa version that would be enough to carry them thru 2014 SEMA. The 818 will still be hot next SEMA season (especially with the cars hitting the road and the tracks). Then FFR will have a little breathing room to do something really special for 2015 SEMA. They are also ramping up their expertise level on the molding and finishing so that will also get better and better! Good luck, Dave and FFR. My guess is small track truck with one of those sweet FFR racing chassis!

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    The 33 pickup design is awesome. It's stance is perfect, the top looks great, and the bed design works really well with the body lines. Great design. Form and function. I think it would be very complimentary to the 33 Hotrod, and a good seller.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a Mark I and now a 33. I really miss the perky butt Roadster. I am not crazy about the Mark IV body, so I would like to see another revision of that. While it was splashed from 198, the wheel well opening on that body are terrible. I like the 818, but I would do another Roadster if the body was better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the '33 Pickup! Make the bed and maybe the wheelbase just a little bit longer, then TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meganuke View Post
    I love the '33 Pickup! Make the bed and maybe the wheelbase just a little bit longer, then TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
    I agree! It needs a longer wheelbase and a bigger bed. Of course, if they're going to do that why not stretch the interior of the cab too. Give us some storage room behind the seats.

I would love to see a 4-door version of the 33. That would be a killer!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    And not one mention of a slabside-FIA 289?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see them come out with a TRex kit for around $6000. It would be dominant product IMHO....steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
    Da Bunnies have no comment

Bill S.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    I would love to see them come out with a TRex kit for around $6000. It would be dominant product IMHO....steven
    Yes, a motorcycle engine reverse trike would be a great product!

I'd love to see the 33 HR used as a pickup, it would need an extended wheelbase and should be also buildable as a sedan delivery
    Dan

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave kind of summarizes their philosophy in this post. YMMV

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post131338

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
    Sure looks like a modified MK IV chassis in the background. Wonder what that weber carb'd engine might be going in to

Attachment 25105
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love a slab-side MkIV car! That would be such a treat.
    I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ding

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    It will be a work of art, whether a new car or upgrades . . . FFR rules
    You were right it is a "work of art" that was done for Hot Rod Magazine and will be built by FF

I love the tall rear tires in the rendering and to pull that off Jim S. will surely have to rework the rear clip on
    the frame to get that stance. I'm guessing it's an IRS with a slightly longer wheelbase to make the fenders work
    with that really tall tire.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    So Bill, why are you selling everything.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast