Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: WRX ENGINE Tranmission weight

Post Thanks / Like

WRX ENGINE Tranmission weight

Just weighed all this stuff, I did not have an alternator, PS, AC, or the top mount IC to weigh. The scale is fairly accurate, based upon my known weight and comparison to some already published numbers on the parts weight, but grain of salt here-not exact.

10-oil pan, hardware, oil cooler, lines
    22-each head, with buckets/valves
    16-valve covers and misc front pulleys
    38-wow!header and UPipe with all shields
    16-clutch
    16-valvecovers/misc
    17-turbo, tmic brackets
    16-injector greenbrackets, engine mounts, misc hardware
    19-cams/caps/hardware
    22-dressed intake manifold with wiring/tb
    130- 2.0 block with flywheel,pumps,pulleys,crossover
    106-trans-sans rear cover/contents of rear case

450 pounds (roughly), without rear diff/cover/shaft (24 lbs) I don't think anyone is going to be running ac or ps, but the alternator and ic will add about 25-30 (which you could easily make up for with a header and lighter flywheel)
    Last edited by Jmcd; 03-30-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info. Thanks!

Yup, lots of exhaust piping and shielding. The upside is that there is almost no intake piping.

Post Thanks / Like
    correct, the turbo inlet pipe was accounted for on the manifold, but a hacked maf pipe and filter maybe weigh 3 lbs, coolant tank not attached to manifold either

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcd View Post
    correct, the turbo inlet pipe was accounted for on the manifold, but a hacked maf pipe and filter maybe weigh 3 lbs, coolant tank not attached to manifold either
    As weird as it sounds, people have had pretty solid success with certain eBay headers and up-pipes which can be had for less than 100 bucks. Just spray them with rustoleum bbq paint and heat wrap them and cut a good 15 lbs off the front end and get some increased turbo spool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread, my numbers that I recently recieved from weighing parts pretty much verify what you posted. On another note the stock flywheel was around 24lbs if I recall, and the stock turbo itself was roughly 13lbs. I weighed the parts using a very nice 300lb capable industrial shipping scale.

I wonder what the difference is on 2.5L parts, similar I'm sure but with the bore being larger I'm sure the engine casing itself has some extra girth to it. The stock exhaust components are absurdly heavy for what they are. Seems that most of the ebay parts are actually SS are they not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    I wonder what the difference is on 2.5L parts, similar I'm sure but with the bore being larger I'm sure the engine casing itself has some extra girth to it.
    All the stuff bolted to the block is the same weight (heads/manifolds/turbo/pumps). The block itself can't be more than a few pounds different. I have a few bare blocks at home, if they are not buried, i'll try to see if there are any weight differences between EJ20, EJ22 and EJ25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    Great thread, my numbers that I recently recieved from weighing parts pretty much verify what you posted. On another note the stock flywheel was around 24lbs if I recall, and the stock turbo itself was roughly 13lbs. I weighed the parts using a very nice 300lb capable industrial shipping scale.

I wonder what the difference is on 2.5L parts, similar I'm sure but with the bore being larger I'm sure the engine casing itself has some extra girth to it. The stock exhaust components are absurdly heavy for what they are. Seems that most of the ebay parts are actually SS are they not?
    Yeah, all of them are SS but might be a lower grade alloy which still gets some rust. You'll have to do some research to make sure the fitment is good and the welds are strong when you buy these cheapos. Usually you can find reviews on some of the Subaru forums from guys that have bought them before.

The benefit of buying the cheap ones is low cost, if it breaks who cares and they usually weigh a good bit less than higher-end pipes.