Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine/drivetrain Selection for the 818

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    If the EJ engine series is 180lbs for a longblock setup I would be impressed. From my research that isn't at all the case. Like I said, I may sound biased with my 4g63 comments, but I simply am doing preliminary research and it appears that the EJ engine series is surprisingly heavy for being all aluminum, and on a platform where every single pound should count, it seems non-ideal. I will do a bit of searching on this board specifically.
    To be sure we're talking about the same thing. It's about 180 or so for just the engine, no intake, exhaust accessories, oil pan etc. Just Heads+block and internals. Having JUST sold my EJ207 3 weeks ago I can confirm that the engine is pretty light.

Further to prove my point, here's the webstore page for a built Cosworth EJ257 (the 2.5) http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-190...ssemblies.aspx

Note the weight they list on the page: 160 lbs.

The 5mt transmission is about 135 bare http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/transm...on-weight.html

The only confirmation I have found for that is shipping weights people have posted.

Assuming the Ej207 weighs 180, the total weight not including accessories is 315. Depending on what you include as engine+transmission weight the number can vary from 360lbs up to near 500 lbs.

I guess the more traditional assessment for what a WRX engine includes in being part of the engine assembly are the accessories, intake, oil pan+oil, headers, exhaust manifold turbo and intercooler along with the longblock and transmission is probably more like 400-450 lbs.

Still pretty light. But again, the rationale is not just weight but to optimize cost/performance+availability. I'm sure there are lighter engines and transmissions out there but not in the same quantity with the same aftermarket support and interchangeability. Using Subaru stuff just makes sense for a donor-car based kit intended for high volume sales.

And even if you disagree, it's pretty much set in stone that this car will use Subaru stuff only, at least in the beginning.

So I'm with many of the other guys, I just don't think it would make too much sense to spend time shoehorning another engine in the car to save weight. The idea that the Subaru stuff is heavy seems to be pretty inaccurate. No offense.
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 03-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.