Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine/drivetrain Selection for the 818

Post Thanks / Like

Engine/drivetrain Selection for the 818

I will first start off by saying that I am very excited what is developing with the 818. Thank you very much to FFR for all that you've done so far, and what you do for the automotive enthusiast community.

One thing that I wanted to say, and I'd really like to hear some feedback regarding it, is the engine and transmission selection for this concept. Understandably the idea was to have a one-car donor for the components used in this platform, and therefore the engine and transmission selection comes naturally from a Subaru/WRX based vehicle. Without a doubt this car may very well be FFR's introduction into the younger crowd due to the price range and donor car choice. However, I am curious if FFR will allow other engine/drivetrain configurations as a possibility with this car? Understandably the WRX/EJ engine configurations would be the original intent, but due to the pricing and potentially "tuner" niche that this car may be able to cater to I am curious if the size constraints will allow for other options. I'm sure it's been addressed before, and everything is still in the design phase right now, but I'm curious what FFR's take on this idea is right now?

While the EJ engine series would be the original intent, other options such as Honda K20 series and Mitsubishi 4g63 options could provide even lighter, cheaper, and possibly better suited engine/transmission platforms for those that would WANT to have options. From my research so far it appears that an engine such as an EJ255 runs around 380lbs, vs an iron block 4g63 at around 300, or an aluminum K20A at around 280. The pricing of the iron block 4g63 is extremely cheap to most EJ engine applications, while the higher revving, lower torque K20 would possibly be another great choice for this type of a lightweight platform. Being that there are many fwd transmission options for these type of platforms, it would also keep the user from having to modify the awd Subaru transmission, potentially providing a stronger drivetrain and another lighter weight transmission option. Leaving other engine selections as options may very well allow even more development of this car, and possibly even further acceptance by potential buyers. Something that I noticed from the GTM was that the availability of the transmission selection which has increased the build cost tremendously as it was the sole option available for the platform.

Just curious what FFR's stance is at this point, and whether or not they will leave the spaceframe engine/transmission compartment spacing large enough for other non-boxer platforms? Obviously this wouldn't be the route that everyone would take, but since the spaceframe size constraints will ultimately limit the engine/transmission options for this car, I am curious if FFR is considering leaving these as "options".
    Last edited by 16g-95gsx; 03-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without trying to sound biased, I am very familiar with the 4g63/DSM engine and transmission setups. An iron block 4g63 can be had for easily under 1000 dollars, and handles far far more than 400awhp in factory form (I know of a number of them pushing 600awhp in completely stock form). With a "fwd" transmission setup this would prove to be an extremely reliable setup, while potentially reducing a solid 80lbs from the engine selection. FWD 4g63 transmissions are typically sold extremely cheaply as the AWD is the preferred setup, so the drivetrain selection would be extremely cheap, and LSD front differential options would be easily adapted. Additionally no transmission modification would be necessary to convert from AWD to "FWD". Additionally the AWD transmission could easily be modified in a similar manner to the subaru transmissions. Without knowing the total weight of a converted awd subaru transmission, you'd likely be looking at an additional 100lbs removed from the car, with a cheaper engine and transmission option, with equal power potential.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rationale behind using Subaru running gear for this kit has been discussed at great length on these forums.

Just browse around a bit and pretty much every point you brought up has been shelled out specifically.

I would link the threads but I'm on an iPhone at the moment. That sounds like a cool engine but the Subaru platform is far more ideal for cost, availability, durability and support reasons. Cost being not only do or costs but design costs for the kit, Subaru packaging is easier to work around than a traverse fad setup.

Further, 380 lbs is about the weight of the full engine plus trasnmission of an ej motor. A bare ej longblock is about 180 lbs. I know because I just sold my old 2.0 and was able to pop it in and out of my car by myself.
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 03-26-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    If the EJ engine series is 180lbs for a longblock setup I would be impressed. From my research that isn't at all the case. Like I said, I may sound biased with my 4g63 comments, but I simply am doing preliminary research and it appears that the EJ engine series is surprisingly heavy for being all aluminum, and on a platform where every single pound should count, it seems non-ideal. I will do a bit of searching on this board specifically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Other advantage of using Scooby is they are boxer motors, so the cg can be kept lower, improving handling. I think FFR was thinking of serious track handling with this car, more than ultimate power capability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly if the weight is kept low enough the center of grav of the boxer engine would be more idea. However, if my research proves correct in that the EJ25 is 380lbs, the total weight gain of this engine vs a comparible 4g63 or K20, etc, would destroy the COG advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody is forcing you to buy a FFR kit. It sounds like you might be more interested in a Superlite SL-R.

Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    Certainly if the weight is kept low enough the center of grav of the boxer engine would be more idea. However, if my research proves correct in that the EJ25 is 380lbs, the total weight gain of this engine vs a comparible 4g63 or K20, etc, would destroy the COG advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an open discussion about a new design, I don't see any harm in weighing the pro's and con's of various powerplant choices.

Like I said the boxer setup seems ideally if overall weight is held equal due to it's flat/ lower CG design. But if total weight is kept well over 300lbs then this benefit likely goes out the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an open discussion about a new design, I don't see any harm in weighing the pro's and con's of various powerplant choices.

Like I said the boxer setup seems ideally if overall weight is held equal due to it's flat/ lower CG design. But if total weight is kept well over 300lbs then this benefit likely goes out the door.
    read the link
    http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/.../818intro.html

the donor car/drive train layout has already been decided, so discussing the pro's and cons of the Subaru boxer vs. other engine layouts at this point is mute

I think this thread was meant to focus on which Subaru engine/trans was the best selection for the car, not whether or not that a boxer type engine be used....but I could be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if FFR will have a stance on it, they are supplying a frame with mounting points and maybe some exhaust components to support the subbie stuff, if you want to fabricate mounts and exhaust to fit something else in it, go for it. Knowing from the roadster, there are guys who have stuffed all sorts of things under the hood, if you can make it fit, have at it. That is part of the fun of building a car, deciding where you want to follow the book, and where you want to break new ground.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    I am not sure if FFR will have a stance on it, they are supplying a frame with mounting points and maybe some exhaust components to support the subbie stuff, if you want to fabricate mounts and exhaust to fit something else in it, go for it. Knowing from the roadster, there are guys who have stuffed all sorts of things under the hood, if you can make it fit, have at it. That is part of the fun of building a car, deciding where you want to follow the book, and where you want to break new ground.

-Scott

+1 If a longitudinal Subaru engine and transaxle will fit, then you'll have plenty of room for virtually any transverse engine you like. Including some transverse v-6s I expect. That's the beauty of kit cars they are often a blank slate. A little measuring, cutting, welding you have whatever you want.
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts exactly. This us without a doubt what keeps me excited about this concept. I'm used to tearing things down to the nuts and bolts in order to fight what the factory gives you.

The only concern I had is spacing, whether or not the body and spaceframe will be large enough to accomodate other choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    On thing you have to remember is that with the subaru engine it is considered a "mid engine" car. If you were to put a mitsu engine in it with the transmission you have just moved the largest weight in the car back directly in line with the rear axle making it a rear engine car. Moving that 300+ pound mass 1 foot further back is going to make a large difference in the handling and dynamics of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    not to nit-pick (you're correct about the dynamics of the vehicle changing!) but it would still be a mid engined car. Many mid engine cars have this same configuration (toyota MR2/MR-S, Lotus Elise/Exige, Acura NSX to name a few) A rear engine car would place the engine fully behind the rear axle, like a Porsche 911 or a VW bug.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
    not to nit-pick (you're correct about the dynamics of the vehicle changing!) but it would still be a mid engined car. Many mid engine cars have this same configuration (toyota MR2/MR-S, Lotus Elise/Exige, Acura NSX to name a few) A rear engine car would place the engine fully behind the rear axle, like a Porsche 911 or a VW bug.
    -Matt
    I stand corrected.

Post Thanks / Like
    -Matt
    By that logic many current front engine rear wheel drives are mid engine then, right? If the engine is even with or behind the front axle? It's all semantics anyway I guess.

I'm not a FWD/transverse fan, so I'm not familiar with the mitsubishi and honda motors so much. How would you get the transmission outputs and axles to fit in a frame designed around the subaru symmetry without the weight of the motor being shifted to the left or right? The subaru transmission also is not much wider than a regular rear differential which leaves plenty of space for longer control arms, shock mounts, etc. I figure this has all already been discussed somehwere in this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would engine choices like that place the engine further back? The engine itself is no deeper than the EJ series and most 4cyl fwd trans would be horizontal, making the bias of the weight go forward if anything.

I weighed a few EJ20 components yesterday FWIW, the heads without cams or valve covers came to around 20lbs each. The crank was around 21lbs, 4 OEM rods were around 5lbs. A 5spd trans came in around 130lbs with VC and center diff.

I'd really like to see a database on component weights start to be developed.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately, the buyer can probably shoehorn any drivetrain into the 818 that he chooses, if he can make it work. However, I think it is unlikely that FFR is spending any time on engineering for other choices than Subaru, at least at this point in time.

What the prospective builder must remember is that the 818 uses a "donor car" concept, following the process of the 65 Roadster and Coupe, at least the earlier versions. (It has only recently become possible to buy a complete kit Roadster which includes everything BUT the drivetrain). But for now at least,for the 818 this means that much more than the drivetrain will be taken from Subaru. Included will likely be all suspension components, brakes, hubs, radiator, wiring harness, steering geometry, dashboard gauges (maybe the whole dashboard), fuel tank, and potentially even lights. And probably a bunch of stuff I haven't even thought of...... All of which means that you will be virtually required to buy a complete donor car - specifically a Subaru - to build the 818, at least at anywhere near the target price-point of 15K.

Based on what we know, this is likely to be a 2002-2007 WRX, although given the nature of Subaru model lines, it is likely that normally aspirated Subaru Imprezas of the same vintage could probably be substituted if one wants to save some money, and is willing to accept 170 horsepower rather than 225 + . The other parts should still fit.

If one does all this and still wants to try to fit an engine-transmission from another make of car, well -- go for it. But I personally think it is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we need dimensions and axel locations just as much as we would need weights.

Why would engine choices like that place the engine further back? The engine itself is no deeper than the EJ series and most 4cyl fwd trans would be horizontal, making the bias of the weight go forward if anything.

I weighed a few EJ20 components yesterday FWIW, the heads without cams or valve covers came to around 20lbs each. The crank was around 21lbs, 4 OEM rods were around 5lbs. A 5spd trans came in around 130lbs with VC and center diff.

I'd really like to see a database on component weights start to be developed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
    By that logic many current front engine rear wheel drives are mid engine then, right? If the engine is even with or behind the front axle? It's all semantics anyway I guess.

I'm not a FWD/transverse fan, so I'm not familiar with the mitsubishi and honda motors so much. How would you get the transmission outputs and axles to fit in a frame designed around the subaru symmetry without the weight of the motor being shifted to the left or right? The subaru transmission also is not much wider than a regular rear differential which leaves plenty of space for longer control arms, shock mounts, etc. I figure this has all already been discussed somehwere in this forum.
    Yes, this is correct. Many Front engined/RWD cars are mid-engined. Here's a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-eng...ar-wheel_drive

I'm in no way arguing for the use of a transverse mid-engine setup. It does have drawbacks. The engines are usually mounted off-center in the car (as you point out) in order to make room for the transmission. Also, the use of an inline or V engine as opposed to a H4 will result in a higher center of gravity. Also, as was pointed out earlier, the longitudinal weight distribution is more rear-biased due to the engine being closer to the rear axle. Many of these transmissions also require the use of asymmetrical halfshafts which cause torque steer when used in a FWD setups but can also be problematic in M/R configurations. The shorter axle sees higher angular deflections when the suspension is loaded which can put additional stresses on the CV joints for that axle resulting in premature failure.... That, and you have two unique axles rather than one part that can be shared from side to side.. makes keeping a spare for track use cheaper and easier

The reason we've seen so many production mid-engined cars use FWD transverse engines over the years is simply a matter of economy. In most cases these engine and transmission combos are simply lifted from another (cheaper) production car already being made by the company in question. The whole system is simply pushed to the back of the car and boom, you have a sporty mid-engined car. Toyota did it with all three generations of the MR2.. They basically used the four-banger from the corola/celica models of the same generation (4A-G(Z)E, 5S-FE, 3S-G(T)E, 1ZZ-FED).

I still think the Subaru converted to "FWD" is probably the best engine/tranny combo for this type of car. If people are dead-set on an alternative drivetrain they could always look into the porsche boxter. it has a similar configuration to the subaru.. just be prepared to pay huge prices for any parts as well as having to source custom axles to fit the car. This assumes that FFR is planning to re-use the stock subaru front half-shafts and suspension uprights for the 818 (which would be a VERY good idea... nudge nudge)

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    What the prospective builder must remember is that the 818 uses a "donor car" concept.....All of which means that you will be virtually required to buy a complete donor car - specifically a Subaru - to build the 818, at least at anywhere near the target price-point of 15K.

If one does all this and still wants to try to fit an engine-transmission from another make of car, well -- go for it. But I personally think it is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
    16g-95gsx; if you want a Diamondstar powered kit car, I think you are on your own, at least with this option.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like an NSX, Elise/Exige, MR-2 are more similar to a rear engined car? Despite this, reviews after reviews state the porsche boxter as being one of the best handling cars on the road, even better than the 911. So whatever the numbers on paper say, I image a Subaru drivetrain to handle far better than a transverse drivetrain.

-Matt
    Last edited by bbjones121; 03-28-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me thinks this is not the kit for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
    By that logic many current front engine rear wheel drives are mid engine then, right? If the engine is even with or behind the front axle?
    Correct. When people talk about 'mid-engine', they often clarify by indicating if its mid engine with the engine in front or back, as in MR (Mid Rear), like the 818 will be.

An example of a Mid-Front is a Honda S2000. Its engine is fully behind the front axle (note the long hood).

Post Thanks / Like
    The original purpose of the thread was long lost with these replies. I simply was asking to hopefully find out if the space constraints within the subframe would allow for other options. Jim had already mentioned that any spare inch of space would be saved for in the cockpit, so I was curious if there would be ANY room left available in the engine bay. Obviously any non-subaru powerplant selection would be up to the builder, but spaceframe constraints were my sole concern in making a thread like this. I don't "want" a diamondstar powered car, it was simply an example, and the comments about weight was simply to show the pro's and cons of potential powerplant choices. Again, I already specified that I fully understand FFR's original intent with the H4 engine choice.

At this point let this thread die off as it's not going anywhere near where I had intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    What the prospective builder must remember is that the 818 uses a "donor car" concept, following the process of the 65 Roadster and Coupe, at least the earlier versions. (It has only recently become possible to buy a complete kit Roadster which includes everything BUT the drivetrain). But for now at least,for the 818 this means that much more than the drivetrain will be taken from Subaru. Included will likely be all suspension components, brakes, hubs, radiator, wiring harness, steering geometry, dashboard gauges (maybe the whole dashboard), fuel tank, and potentially even lights. And probably a bunch of stuff I haven't even thought of...... All of which means that you will be virtually required to buy a complete donor car - specifically a Subaru - to build the 818, at least at anywhere near the target price-point of 15K.
    Which is a good thing of course. This keeps the kit price down (as well as overall cost to build), as there are less parts FFR has to source and supply, they get to leverage all the OEM quality engineering that went into all those pieces, its easier for you to find replacement parts (you don't a list of the 15 different cars that each componet came from just to do a repair).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The original purpose of the thread was long lost with these replies. I simply was asking to hopefully find out if the space constraints within the subframe would allow for other options. Jim had already mentioned that any spare inch of space would be saved for in the cockpit, so I was curious if there would be ANY room left available in the engine bay. Obviously any non-subaru powerplant selection would be up to the builder, but spaceframe constraints were my sole concern in making a thread like this. I don't "want" a diamondstar powered car, it was simply an example, and the comments about weight was simply to show the pro's and cons of potential powerplant choices. Again, I already specified that I fully understand FFR's original intent with the H4 engine choice.

At this point let this thread die off as it's not going anywhere near where I had intended.
    I think so little is known about the frame at this point that it would be very hard to say. Doubly so because even if you snuck into R&D and looked over Jim's shoulder, the frame could change down the road to meet the body design needs. This thread would be a great one to ask down the road, once the frame and body design is finalized.

And, to continue the threadjack - as far as I know, Honda/Toyota etc power plants put the engine in front of the drive axles, so that when you put them in a rear-drive configuration, you end up with the engine in front of the drive axles, hence the rear-mid-engine designation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Which is a good thing of course. This keeps the kit price down (as well as overall cost to build), as there are less parts FFR has to source and supply, they get to leverage all the OEM quality engineering that went into all those pieces, its easier for you to find replacement parts (you don't a list of the 15 different cars that each componet came from just to do a repair).
    Precisely! This concept is one of the things that has allowed FFR to dominate the kit car industry. They have made it affordable for average humans. Of course, the fact that they make a really, really great product doesn't hurt either.............

Post Thanks / Like
    this is why I asked the question about the possibility of using removable subframes/engine cradles (which was never answered). It would allow the use of different engines/drivetrains, with the simple change of subframes without having to re engineer the rear of the frame later.

subframes would also allow the same car to be buildable using a choice of different engines without having to stock many different complete frames..you would get the standard front 2/3's of the chassis and then order the rear 1/3 that fit the drivetrain that you wanted to use

Post Thanks / Like
    The suby engine "roughly" measures about 16" deep x 31" wide x 24" tall with manifolds minus tmic, the trans output shafts are about 6" back from the block and 4" down from crankshaft centerline.

Compare that to most transverse 4s (sixes?), and I think you will find that most will fit easily.

I also think that if FFR is designing for the ej, then that's what they should do, focus and optimize for that. Anybody who can weld or fabricate will find a way to fit whatever engine they want, and this community, as well as FFR will be stronger for that ingenuity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcd View Post
    The suby engine "roughly" measures about 16" deep x 31" wide x 24" tall with manifolds minus tmic, the trans output shafts are about 6" back from the block and 4" down from crankshaft centerline.

Compare that to most transverse 4s (sixes?), and I think you will find that most will fit easily.

I also think that if FFR is designing for the ej, then that's what they should do, focus and optimize for that. Anybody who can weld or fabricate will find a way to fit whatever engine they want, and this community, as well as FFR will be stronger for that ingenuity.
    Thank you, that is usable info. I feel the same way about that this is the kind of car that embraces ingenuity and Im a bit surprised at some of the backlash comments that have been said in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The narrowness of the Subaru transmission is what will keep the frame from being adaptable. If FFR uses the 'extra' width for longer than typical control arms, then pretty much any transverse option is out. Only time will tell at this point. FFR did take the time to model the Subaru front lower control arm, but if or where it is used is still unknown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    subframes would also allow the same car to be buildable using a choice of different engines without having to stock many different complete frames..you would get the standard front 2/3's of the chassis and then order the rear 1/3 that fit the drivetrain that you wanted to use
    Or even build your own custom subframe. Of course, if you're going to build your own subframe, you could probably tackle modifying the (non-subframe) frame, but would be a lot easier of subframe concept was used. I think its a good idea for the future. Lets let them get version 1 done, and nail all the important stuff (performance, handling, weight, price, the top!), then later they can start engineering this stuff for 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    The trans output is no less narrow than some fwd setups I've seen, and it quickly widens towards the bellhousing side, but you're going to be welding either way.

Was there a post or info that said 4x double wishbones/konis? At that point, the rear suspension is scrap, and i would expect the whole FS to be migrated rearward, although I would wonder about the ebrake setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, that is usable info. I feel the same way about that this is the kind of car that embraces ingenuity and Im a bit surprised at some of the backlash comments that have been said in this thread.
    I think some of the backlash is against people seeming to froth over about how they want to get all this HP into this car (Subaru or otherwise). How much power you think you are gonna even want or be able to control in an 1800 lb car? I think backlashers are seeing that you can get tons of cheap HP from the target donor (2.0 or 2.5 WRX), so why go crazy redesigning to try and fit more HP potential when all the potential you could use is already in the base 818. To each his own, obviously, but if you're gonna do heavy mods, do ones that are really cool or make a big performance difference, not just mods for mods sake (so say the backlashers).

Lets not lose sight that we're talking about what mods to do on a car that doesn't even exist yet. IMO lets see how the 818 turns out before we spend too much time talkng about how to mod it into something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there is any backlash. No matter what excuse is used to cover it up, it is pretty easy to tell that you want a different drivetrain than what has already been decided on. There are other kit options out there for you. If you think this deters from your thread topic, then the thread should have been labeled something else maybe? Something like, "Alternative drivetrain options", because i think the selection has been made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I don't think there is any backlash. No matter what excuse is used to cover it up, it is pretty easy to tell that you want a different drivetrain than what has already been decided on. There are other kit options out there for you. If you think this deters from your thread topic, then the thread should have been labeled something else maybe? Something like, "Alternative drivetrain options", because i think the selection has been made.
    +1 Agreed
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I mentioned concern over power output anywhere? My comments were entirely directed at weight and drivetrain selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Choice is good. I've owned a few turbo Subarus and would be perfectly happy to run the recommended setup in the 818, but it would be nice to have other choices as well. I don't see a need for the "if you don't like it go find something else" attitude. Most people like to stick with what they know, so if you know 4g motors, you'd like that, if you know LS engines, you'll want one of those, it's all perfectly understandable.

Personally, I'd like the option to run an LS setup with a G50 trans like the GTM. I wonder how long it will take someone to say "Well, they already sell a kit for you..." without acknowledging the weight and price difference.

With that being said, 16g-95gsx, I wonder if you are getting accurate weights for a true apples to apples comparison. Perhaps the EJ weight you got was complete with accessories, exhaust manifold, and turbo versus a more bare 4g63 weight? Given the same materials, I would expect the flat 4 to weight a bit more than a similar displacement I4, but not 80 lbs heavier than an iron block I4.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it is so much of a, "if you don't like it go find something else," it is more like observations that this might not be the right kit for some people. Having said that, I will state again more generally instead of specifically to one person, I think people looking for a more customized setup should look into a superlite roadster(sl-r) instead.

Just an FYI about that though, read a bit about the SL-R and changes they are making to it. You will be interested to know that they are trying to take away the many engine options because so many people are having problems and probably overloading the manufacturer on configuration issues. FFR should stick to supporting one configuration or risk struggling with it just as other kit car manufactures seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    Choice is good. I've owned a few turbo Subarus and would be perfectly happy to run the recommended setup in the 818, but it would be nice to have other choices as well. I don't see a need for the "if you don't like it go find something else" attitude. Most people like to stick with what they know, so if you know 4g motors, you'd like that, if you know LS engines, you'll want one of those, it's all perfectly understandable.

Personally, I'd like the option to run an LS setup with a G50 trans like the GTM. I wonder how long it will take someone to say "Well, they already sell a kit for you..." without acknowledging the weight and price difference.

With that being said, 16g-95gsx, I wonder if you are getting accurate weights for a true apples to apples comparison. Perhaps the EJ weight you got was complete with accessories, exhaust manifold, and turbo versus a more bare 4g63 weight? Given the same materials, I would expect the flat 4 to weight a bit more than a similar displacement I4, but not 80 lbs heavier than an iron block I4.
    Last edited by bbjones121; 03-28-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast