Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best FFR model to rack up the miles?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best FFR model to rack up the miles?

Hi guys and gals! It's been a long time since my last post. In the last few months, I moved from CT to VA (anyone near Richmond? Let's grab a beer!) and bought a house. That put my FFR plans on hold for now. I will need to build a bigger garage before I can get my kit, but I was wondering if my original desire to get a Mk4 overshadowed the possibility that one of the other FFRs would be a better car for me. Don't get me wrong, my DREAM car is the Mk4, and if money were no object, I'd have one of everything that FFR makes. But I drive a lot (>26K miles a year). Once a month, I drive from VA to CT and then do about 600 miles for a week in New England.

I've been drooling over the FFR Roadster since they first came on the scene in the mid 90's. Thinking about how much I want to use the car, I began to think that maybe it isn't the right one to start with. Maybe a Type 65 or '33 would be better to live with since I could have actual windows, a roof, plus heat and air conditioning. I don't plan to drive in snow, but rain would definitely be a possibility. I will not put a soft or hard top on the Mk4. That's a compromise I am not willing to make. I sat in a GTM at the open house last February, and unfortunately I didn't care for the limited visibility out of the front windshield. My head was also right next to the roll bar. The higher cost and complexity of the build leads me to believe the GTM isn't the right kit for a first time builder. The 818 is a cool car, but it doesn't light my fire like the others.

So, what do you think? Should I make the Mk4 Roadster my second build and go for a '33 as my first? Would the Type 65 make a better daily driver than the '33? I'd be interested in any pros and cons you have to offer. Right now, I'm leaning towards the '33, but either way, it's going to be a more expensive build than the Mk4. If FFR offered a '33 pickup, my mind would be made up.

Thanks folks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to ping Ralph Button. Last I checked he had over 400,000 miles on his Roadster.

I've done quite a few 100 mile plus trips in mine and I find that I need to stretch my legs about every hour.
    Last edited by Mike N; 01-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's a lot of miles so you would probably not want to spend a lot of time maintaining a finicky car. If you fit and find it comfortable enough, the 33 hot rod sounds like a good fit for you. It has that iconic status like the cobra. I know it lights up my hair when I see a nicely built one. There are so many variations that can be had. You could still have the advantages of driving a convertible and install the hard top for a trip. There is another consideration. The stage I kit would allow you to get deep into the project sooner than saving all the money at once for a complete kit. Of all the FFRs, I think the 33 is the most flexible to customize to your specific needs. JMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I want my cobra to be a ridiculously impractical car. Stoopid amount of HP, no top, so it'll just come out on the nice days. If I built a 33, I think I could use it for 9-10 months out of the year. I'd go for a simple 302 SBF engine, maybe 300 HP, nothing crazy. The cobra will be for the track days, the 33 would be for traveling...in style!

How difficult is it to swap from the hard top to the no top/raked windshield? How long does it take with two people? Does the hard top seal up well against the elements? No wind whistling, leaks, etc?

I really have the 33 pickup stuck in my head now. I wonder if it could pull a small utility trailer for those runs to home depot...

Post Thanks / Like
    hey Meganuke,
    I work in Richmond & live in Mechanicsville. Just got my Mk4 on the road this past July and put on 4000 miles before the end of the year.
    Give me a shout !
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph has over 500,000 on his Cobra now! He lived in Maine and autocrossed it with us for a year or more (long time ago) Nice writeup ad photos of his car in this month's Kit Car Builder
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meganuke View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I want my cobra to be a ridiculously impractical car. Stoopid amount of HP, no top, so it'll just come out on the nice days. If I built a 33, I think I could use it for 9-10 months out of the year. I'd go for a simple 302 SBF engine, maybe 300 HP, nothing crazy. The cobra will be for the track days, the 33 would be for traveling...in style!

How difficult is it to swap from the hard top to the no top/raked windshield? How long does it take with two people? Does the hard top seal up well against the elements? No wind whistling, leaks, etc?

I really have the 33 pickup stuck in my head now. I wonder if it could pull a small utility trailer for those runs to home depot...
    It sure could. And I make a hitch for it! Seriously though, the 33 does have more space but I've seen a truck version and it just doesn't look right because the nose is so long to fit the suspension in front of the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ron, I'm just down the road in Powhatan! We'll definitely have to hook up, I'd love to pick your brain and check out your build! Maybe we can grab a pint at the Capitol Ale House...they have some amazing brews on tap and their food is great. I'll be back in town next week.

Please don't misunderstand me, I have no doubt the cobra can do the miles, but doing them in comfort is a different matter. Ride comfort is one thing, protection from the elements is another. I'm sure the cobra rides great, and is probably very similar to the ride in the type 65 and the 33. Ralph's miles are an amazing testament to both the car and his build. But I don't want a top on my cobra when I build it. I don't like the visible mounting hardware when the top isn't on, and the lines just don't look right to me with a hard or soft top. That's why I've got it narrowed down to the 33 or the type 65.

ehansen007: I love the pickup! I agree, the proportions are just a bit off. Is there any room to move the cab forward, or is the engine right up against the firewall? Any idea what the towing limit would be? I assume it's a class II hitch, not a class III or IV, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody thinks the Type 65 would make a comfortable GT cruiser?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meganuke View Post

I'm using studs to mount the hardtop which should make switching a little easier. My guess for time with two people, way less than and hour, and I'm sure if you really wanted to hurry, 30 minutes.
    Not building mine for everyday use but with mild ponies, ac-heat, and an automatic she'd be fine. Tim Whittaker makes a bunch of goodies to help seal everything up too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think E Hansen has a video of him going from Hardtop to Roadster in like 10 or 15 minutes with his 33 Hot Rod.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe would be a cool cruiser, just make sure to add A/C, if I had my choice I would go with the coupe, love the lines!

Post Thanks / Like
    33 for your plans seems like the right fit.