FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Man from Maine-New to the forum

Post Thanks / Like

Man from Maine-New to the forum

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum and very excited about the prospects of someday owning my dream car. I've got quite a few questions about this endeavor. But first a little about me so you know what you've got to deal with...
    I just turned 50 In November of last year. I'm mechanically inclined, but not a real mechanic by any stretch. I've changed tons of parts and two engines, but I've never built one. My knowledge of what add ons to use with what engines is very limited. I have a garage, many tools, and limited resource$ but I'm willingness to learn. So...
    I think I want to build the Mk4 Roadster. Don't know what engine I should use or what tranny, and if I buy a crate engine! which one with what transmission? And what other stuff to use like intakes, carbs and all the other little stuff. In the end I want a reliable, drive able, fun car that has that was made with the right components so that if I have ever have to sell it some day, I'll be able to recoup the max investment $$$.
    I really like the '33 hot rod too, but I'm leaning strongly towards the Cobra.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Especially on what engine and tranny to use with what accessories, keeping the price reasonable too. If anyone up here in the central Maine area has a Mk4, I'll really like to see on up close and talk with you.
    Thanks!
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Brad. Your questions are similar to many and you will get a lot of different answers on how to spend your money. A 302 based engine (possibly a stroker) will give you plenty of enjoyment without breaking the bank. A T-5 transmission will do what you want, many will try to steer you into more expensive options, but I do not see you taking this car to a track. Your mechanical experience should suffice, just think of this project as a full size model and accomplish one step at a time.
    Doug

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Brad,

Are you going to spring for the complete kit or go another route? I ask because the initial expense of the complete kit is a little more resource challenging but it may be the way to go for you as it will keep you on track. I say that because you mentioned limited experience. I would probably go that way if I was doing it again. I believe it is a good value. If you were building a track car or had many different ideas for components (not compatible with the kit), then it would be a different story. Also, if you have the complete kit, you will be using components that many have used for their MKIVs and that will translate to apples to apples comparisons with any component issues you have. Most likely, others have already found the answer for your issue with those know components. The only problem I see you having is deciding how much you want to drive your finished product. Up there in Maine, you will have to be very creative with the top, heater/defrost, seat warmers, etc.... to lengthen your driving season.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad, if you want to check out a 818 drop by! Mine is at go kart stage...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Welcome to the forum Brad. Your questions are similar to many and you will get a lot of different answers on how to spend your money. A 302 based engine (possibly a stroker) will give you plenty of enjoyment without breaking the bank. A T-5 transmission will do what you want, many will try to steer you into more expensive options, but I do not see you taking this car to a track. Your mechanical experience should suffice, just think of this project as a full size model and accomplish one step at a time.
    Doug
    Thanks Doug, I appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi WEK,
    AZ? I did a short stint as a young man out in Wickenburg working at the Rancho de Los Caballeros, I believe that near you?
    Anyway, I am looking at the complete kit if I go thru factory five, I just got word of a Mk3 kit in souther Maine who's owner has run out of steam. I guess he's and older guy and he. Has the cobra kit in his garage collecting dust and he might be willing to part with it at a fair price. I hear he's 2/3 rds thru the project, has engine and tranny in the car, it needs final assembly and paint. But we'll see. Otherwise if I can convince the Mrs. That this is a good idea, I'll spring for the complete kit. Yeah, we have a short season up here in Maine, but I look at it like this, this will be my Harley Davidson. It got to be warmer and more comfortable than that? I will opt for the heater defrost for sure. By the way, is there some kind of top that folks put on the roadster should they get caught in the rain? From a resale prospective, what engine/drivetrain. Do people expect to see in these cars? Or does it matter?
    Thanks,
    Brad

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Brad,

The MKIII project sounds like it could be very good for you and the unfinished roadster. I hope it pans out for you. If you are going to resell your project, try to stick to the main stream as far as engine/trans choices. It's cool to have the high hp and stack efi, etc but more commonly used engine/trans setup will appeal to a larger audience if you do sell it.

Looking forward to hear about what happens. See ya, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking into the 818, it's pretty cool. Which one are you building, street or track? What are you using for a donor car? Are you going with paint or using the clear coat? I might like to stop by. My company has and office in Portland so I'm down that way quite often. Thanks, Brad