Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Raydot Bracket?

Post Thanks / Like

Raydot Bracket?

Has anyone ever seen this bracket sold retail or is this a custom job. I have Raydots for my '33 and would like to do something similar. I have the brackets from ********** and I suppose I could bend those in a similar fashion or fabricate my own. I just thought I would ask you roadster gurus if you have ever seen this. I'm not interested in the extension piece for the additional mirror, I think one will be fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Evan

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like 1/8 aluminum custom bent with another piece of thicker aluminum added to support the additional mirror. I would think with a good brake you could make them pretty easy. What mirrors are you going to use? I have finally decided against the FF ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the Raydot mirrors purchased from ********** however i found these...made me think twice. I will probably use the Raydots but will probably swap out the flat lenses for the convex. I have done some more research and many have said that the convex give you a much better view.

http://aprperformance.com/index.php?...d=92&Itemid=44

Nice job on the console Boz, you've got skills. You could have saved me the trouble and made me one! I was going to do something very similar and put a cup holder between the console and the shifter. I was going to use an LED halo accent ring inside the cup holder just to add a little something different. Here's the link.

http://accentglowled.com/product/custom-led-kit/

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after three opinions (mine being the first) I am in the market for some cool mirrors also. Regarding the supplied mirrors I think my wife said it best "they look like they should be in a dentists office".

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Boz, a little too refined for my taste. I made a bracket today and I'm going to mount it on the roadster windshield post. I'm a little nervous about drilling and tapping the frame as I don't want to crack the windshield. I'm only using like 10-24 X 3/8" SS button head allens. Anyone know how far from the edge of the window frame the glass sits? My plan was to go at it real slow and do a small amount at a time. I will post a pic when it's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Success, I didn't break my windshield. I just need to sand down the screws a bit so I don't have to use the washers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look great but what are you going to use with the hardtop? I wish I had seen the previous post. I removed my glass to sand and polish the frame. It's not handy but there isn't a lot of material to drill and tap. The glass has a rubber seal surrounding it in the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a #25 drill bit for a 10-24 bolt. The #25 bit allows for a 75% thread contact. I only drilled in about 5/16". I just drilled extremely slow and a bit at a time.

I purchased a total of three mirrors. The two others I'm probably going to make brackets and mount them to the A pillar of the hardtop. The window frame is a convenient location and puts the mirror up higher than if I were to mount them to the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen this bracket sold retail or is this a custom job..
    Evan
    ]
    Evan
    That bracket looks like it's from a gas lift support for a hatch or back glass.
    The hole at the end was for a ball that fits the socket on gas lifts
    You might peruse a junkyard and find several versions and one that works better for you.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Evan
    That bracket looks like it's from a gas lift support for a hatch or back glass.
    The hole at the end was for a ball that fits the socket on gas lifts
    You might peruse a junkyard and find several versions and one that works better for you.
    DB
    Thanks for your help, I ended up making my own. I had some aluminum lying around and it only took me about a half hour.