FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just how difficult is it to build 351W engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Just how difficult is it to build 351W engine?

A plain straight up question.

Just how difficult is it to build 351W engine fro 400+ HP? If I were to order the Short block from Summit and the correct heads too, I know, there are other parts too. But can I carefully assemble the engine myself? I don't need to "mic" it or anything like trim Pistons or hone valve seats, do I?? I'm assuming, if I can build the roadster I should be able to build the engine too, right?? What kinda of issues might I run into????

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Camera Guy,

I did what you are referring to in your opening. Mine is a 302 but it is very similar to the 351. It's funny, too, that you are ordering your engine from Summit. They are offering the ATK brand. Don't know if you were looking at that one. I did a blog that explains what I did but it is very much like you are suggesting. The only difference is I did some extensive porting and machining on my heads that you would not be doing.

Just to put it in perspective, I had not rebuilt an engine in a long time. I also had not ever worked on a Ford engine except helping friends on minor stuff. So it was the first full engine work and assembly of a SBF. They are different from Chevys!!! I did not build mine from scratch due to the long layoff from engine building and the time it would have taken me to build the short block. But now I might attempt it as time is not so much a factor. If you follow the plan you are laying out, I would say you will be able to easily assemble a good engine (torque specs, and basic engine assembly techniques). You might also shop the many vendors on the forum to see how close they can come to the plan you have to see if you can save yourself some time and work. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Note: you can buy a great set of heads or get the components and have your machine shop assemble it. It is a very value added process as far as engine work goes.

Good luck on your build,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get a short block, you'd still need to match heads to the cam and the types of piston crowns, in order to get your target compression ratio. You'd also need to match rocker arms to valve springs, to pushrods, to make sure that the exhaust valves won't hit the pistons.

If you get a long block, all you'd need to worry about is attaching the fuel, air, exhaust, and accessory drive systems. The drawback is that you get what you pay for. There's always room for more performance, but if you pay for a cheaper engine assembly from, say Summit, you won't get all high-end performance parts, or the necessary machining to extract those extra ponies.

Building a kit car is not the same as building an engine. They both require different sets of skills. Get a Chilton engine building manual, and if you start feeling overwhelmed, then you'd know that engine-building is not right for you. Regardless, if you want to squeeze as much power as possible out of that engine, machine work on the block and heads, along with top-of-the-line parts would be required.

I built a 351W, bored out to 358ci, with all performance/racing parts (nothing stock), and a centrifugal blower. It was dyno-ed at 603 hp and 651 lb/ft of torque at the rear wheels on my '88 Mustang; but I spent close to 8K for that much power. Hope this helps.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a great book out called "Biuilding Small Block Fords". A 351 is part of the small block family of engines. Even though building an engine and a car are different, they are similar in many ways too. Follow the directions and do decent work for either one to be successful. If you are looking at a shortblock, there are companies such as Edlebrock that sell a "kit" of components matched to your performance needs. Give Gordon Levy or Mike Forte (both forum suppliers) a call and they can help answer your questions and sell you the needed parts to accomplish your task.
    Doug
    Last edited by 68GT500MAN; 02-03-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I have spent the better part of my adult life rebuilding various SBC, SBP, SBF, BBChry, Toyota, Mazda, Honda and Nissan motors. When the time came for my HR, looking at prices on long blocks, I really cannot build it any cheaper, considering time and risk, than I can buy a long block such as those from Blueprint at Summit and Jegs. And they come with a warranty!

But if you are set on building it yourself, the book mentioned above it great! I have used the Ford, Pontiac and Chevrolet versions. This one includes hot rodding a 351W. http://www.amazon.com/Small-Block-Gr...all+block+ford
    Last edited by maczter; 02-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick response and all of your insight. I did purchase the above mentioned book last week and that is what got me thinking about building a short block. I will be looking to get more insight from the website vendors on my engine project, as I do like to do my research.

I will be attending the build class as the anticipation builds, I will find it to be good outlet to get other question answered.