FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Three Bolts: Mk 4 Roadster Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This past weekend was the first in a couple months where I focused more on the car than on my day job—that means I made some progress.

I finally finished up the cockpit aluminum by attaching the large piece which goes behind the driver and passenger seats.

cockpit-aluminum-1.jpg
    No rivets yet, just clecos, then self-tapping screws.

cockpit-aluminum-2.jpg
    The two panels on the sides were part of my powder coating practice. Eventually, all the panels will get the same treatment.

Once done, I tried to start making sense of fuel delivery. Since I ordered my crate engine with an MSD Atomic fuel injection system, I won't be running hard lines for fuel. The directions from MSD are very clear on that point. Instead, the fuel injection kit comes with some sturdy 5/8" OD rubber-ish tubing. That will certainly be simpler to run from the tank up to the engine, and since I won't be using a return line, and I already put together my in-tank fuel pump, I hope this step will go pretty easily. I also drilled a hole in the 4" tube under the passenger seat to secure the fuel filter. I ordered some 5/8" Cushioned Stainless Steel Cable Clamps to secure the fuel line to the chassis. Once that arrives, I'll attach the fuel line and connect it to the fuel filter.

fuel-filter.jpg
    Fuel filter.

After that, I attached the flexible brake lines to the front brakes. Then, I started thinking about running the hard brake lines. Since I've never bent brake lines before, I wanted to experiment with the shape I'd need to connect the front brakes, so I went out to Home Depot and bought some 1/8" steel rod. This worked well. Within a few minutes, I had a shape I can use to transfer to the hard line.

brake-hard-line-template.jpg
    This is half the bends I'll need to connect the front brakes with hard lines. The other half of the shape is a mirror image of this one.

I'll be out of town for a few days to celebrate a long Fourth of July weekend with my family, so this marks my pre-holiday stopping point. I'm looking forward to getting back, and pushing through this work, and the few additional steps left to go before installing the drive train.
    F5R #8227 : Delivered 1/22/2014 : Build site at threebolts.com : @threebolts on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a hint. Before you mount the cockpit wall permanently, it's easier to first mount the trunk pieces right behind it. Some of the rivets on the trunk pieces are very difficult to reach otherwise.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-01-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just a hint. Before you mount the cockpit wall permanently, it's easier to first mount the trunk pieces right behind it. Some of the rivets on the trunk pieces are very difficult to reach otherwise.
    Thanks for the tip!
    F5R #8227 : Delivered 1/22/2014 : Build site at threebolts.com : @threebolts on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us find that out the hard way.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.