FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1st Round of the 2014 WERC

Post Thanks / Like

1st Round of the 2014 WERC

Congratulations to Team Factory Five Racing, Prototype Development Group for their first race and win of the 2014 season with their almost completely rebuilt GTM after the devastating fire at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill this last December.

Way to go guys!

I'm sure Richard will have more details to post soon.

Looking forward to the next WERC race in April.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard tells me that it is not easy for him to post things on this site and has asked me to post this for him...

Got to meet a couple of GTM builders that came out to see the action! I knew going in that it was really a race of survival if we were going for the championship. With 70% of the car destroyed in the fire at the 25 in December, the quick and dirty fix was not enough to use again. Jim, Dale, Robert, Steve, True, and Yvonne went above and beyond to completely rebuild the car from the dash back. We sorted through everything we had to put the car back together. The conclusion was a well prepared competitor minus the once potent LS3. On the bench getting the call this weekend was the old LS1 that got us to the finish in the 25. At just under 400 Horse power, Steve Zadig, four year veteran of the team, took the reins. We knew going in that we were no match for the QRP SLC, so the next thing was to pray for rain and hope for a chance that the hand cut wets would be the ticket. No rain came and it was going to be a head to head race. The Unlimited yielded five entries, all more Horse power than the battle scared GTM. The SLC qualified second fastest and Steve landed the 5th overall spot. "Remember, Steve, be patient, run your own race, and remember, we don't have to pit for fuel." Battle orders were given and acknowledged. The green dropped and the race was on! Davidson's Norma (esr) jumped to a good lead and the SLC followed in P2. By the end of the 8th lap, Steve captured the overall 4th and 3rd in class. Nothing changed for the next hour when fuel windows came into the mix. The SLC had put about a minute and 20 seconds on us at the 1:10 mark of the race. I believe they still had the auxiliary tank to run without a stop. Into turn 2 and the SLC came to a halt on the shoulder. We later found that the oil pump drive belt came off and the motor seized. The marching, reliable GTM motored by for P3 overall and P2 in class. By this time the Norma, has lapped us twice and we are 17 seconds behind the 96 Camaro. Since I study the horses and jockeys of all our races, it was time they came in for a driver change and fuel. With only 30 minutes left in the game, I watched the crew getting ready for their final stop. Driver, Dave Brown who did an excellent job now stretching the margin to 1:21 seconds. We may be out of the catch up window that would have put us in the lead for good. Next lap, I radioed Steve to pick up the pace that the Camaro is pitting. No Camaro in pit lane. They made another lap and then another. Thinking back, "are they thinking the 5 lap full course yellow will last to the end?" Three more laps in the books and no pit stop. I am totally baffled. Twenty two minutes remain and the Camaro is less than 20 seconds from putting us a lap down. If they pit this lap, they will get out ahead and we won't have enough Wheaties to catch them. Radio to Steve: " Car stopped on turn 3 Yellow out" Looking around for position, I can't locate the 96. From the stands shouts, " It's the Camaro! It's out of gas!" Steve gets to the scene to verify, it is the Camaro and advances to first in class and second overall. With just under 20 minutes left in the race, Steve managed to put the remaining competition 2 laps down. Eight minutes remain and we give
    Steve the orders to let the fourth place car by as he was racing for the third overall and second in our class. The checkers wave and Team PDG finishes an impressive 1st in class and 2nd overall. This marks Steve's 7th straight seasonal win (2 in the WERC).

The team is going to take some time off and skip the March sprint opening weekend. Our next endurance race is in April and hope to have the new LS3 installed and ready. This race will be piloted by Mike (Crash) Holland. Mike will be trying for his 9th consecutive win in the GTM. (5 in the WERC).
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done folks!
    Simply awesome achievement to come back from major damage and be successful off the bat.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/