Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Replacement fiberglass Cobra body panels?

Idiot !
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacement fiberglass Cobra body panels?

Hi,

Hopefully this hasn't already been asked, I couldn't find a thread on it. I was wondering if anyone knew if Factory Five offered replacement body panels for their Cobra for sale. We found a damaged track car for sale that will need a new nose clip in the end. We can repair the frame and mechanicals, but a new clip would be necessary and it's availability will determine whether we pick up the project of not.

If anyone knows the answer or can help, it would really be appreciated !

Thanks,

T

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I'm aware of. At least not as a standard part. But perhaps they would make something for you. Call them. You can have your answer in minutes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Does any one make a hood scoop delet hood to fit a factory five

Post Thanks / Like
    No MK1-MK3 hoods were made without scoops , but the MK4 hood does not have a scoop. Don't know if a MK4 hood will fit your car.
    Last edited by Derald Rice; 12-04-2017 at 01:56 PM.

6. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    No MK1-MK3 hoods were made without scoops , but the MK4 hood does not have a scoop. Don't know if a MK4 hood will fit your car.
    Mk4 hood does not fit earlier cars..

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    As edwardb said give them a call, I messed up my drivers side door which was not listed on the website
    I called FFR and a few days later the door was delivered by ups

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now I don't if this makes a difference or not. I received my kit in June, a friend of mine received his kit in August. I was over at his place last night and he pointed out to me how thin his body shell appeared compared to mine. I came home and using the exhaust cutout for reference, my body is a tick over 1/8". His body in the same spot was 1/16". Looking around his body, it appears to be this thin throughout. Is this something new and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll 3rd just giving them a call - as far as I know the challenge guys are always tearing the body's up......rubbing is racing after all
    No a MKIV flat hood won't fit MKI to MKIII.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfernan View Post
    Now I don't if this makes a difference or not. I received my kit in June, a friend of mine received his kit in August. I was over at his place last night and he pointed out to me how thin his body shell appeared compared to mine. I came home and using the exhaust cutout for reference, my body is a tick over 1/8". His body in the same spot was 1/16". Looking around his body, it appears to be this thin throughout. Is this something new and why?
    They are hand laid, so will vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get a flat hood for a MK3?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

body lamate thickness

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    They are hand laid, so will vary.
    ff bodys are not as advertised (hand layed)rather they are shot with a chopper gun and then rolled out by hand also the resin burn out test i had performed reveled the resin to be polyester not vinylester body thickness should be 3 16s as advertised

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    ff bodys are not as advertised (hand layed)rather they are shot with a chopper gun and then rolled out by hand also the resin burn out test i had performed reveled the resin to be polyester not vinylester body thickness should be 3 16s as advertised
    Have no idea what you're talking about. I've seen and worked on multiple FFR bodies. Not a single one was fabricated as you described. All have been multiple layers of glass cloth. Includes the main body itself and also smaller parts like doors, hoods, trunk lids, etc. Not sprayed chop. Sounds like you're talking about another brand, because some I've seen are made that way. I can't vouch for polyester vs. vinyl ester. But since you got the other part wrong, can't put any stock in that conclusion either.

You don't really expect to come on here and give false and misleading information like that and get away with it, do you? Too much real world experience.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

15. Thanks SSNK4US thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Euro Dude,

Having built fiberglass boats in my younger days (Hand Laid & Chopper) I can honestly tell you that you can't easily get the uniform thickness that their bodies have by using a chopper gun. While they may employ the use of a chopper in areas that are tough laminate, specifically the nose areas of the FIA and MK-4, it is very doubtful that they use this type of equipment since it is messy as hell.

The attached video, roughly 3:30 minutes in, pretty much dispels your claim:

https://youtu.be/GvkJ95X7Fio

My only complaint about the fiberglass section of this video is that the narrator got the laminate schedule out of order because the gel-coat goes on first, against the mold, then the the various fiberglass glass cloths are added until built up to the proper thickness.

Go Dad The Glass Man / aka: Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get a flat hood for a MK3?
    Roady,

I don't think they make a flat hood for the earlier models; however, you may be able to get a few pieces of C-Flex to make the task of hood scoop removal and re-lamination easier. Either thickness would work, but the thicker might be your best option if placed longitudinally to mimic the crown of the hood.

http://seemanncomposites.com/cflex.htm

Contact the folks below and see if they will sell you a few small pieces to cover the hole that you'll be making when you remove the scoop.

Seemann Composites
    12481 Glascock Dr.
    Gulfport, MS 39503

Phone: (228) 314-8000
    Email: [email protected]

This is the stuff that we used to make plugs and one off fiberglass boats.

Hummm, I might just make a Goofy-Go-Dad-Top for my car after reading this thread.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-17-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 5 year old thread resurected by a 2 time poster. OK, sure...

Jeff

19. Thanks SSNK4US thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    A 5 year old thread resurected by a 2 time poster. OK, sure...

Jeff
    Didn't notice the age of the original post.

At least folks will know where to buy C-Flex if they want to build a one off something or other!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-17-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You, Sir, are absolutely 100% incorrect. We know our cars.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    as a composites engineer and having built molds and parts for the marine and aerospace industry i am sure that my coupe body was laid up using a chopper gun the doors and rear lid and spoiler appear to be hand laid hand layup on the body is too pricey due to the man hours and labor required nothing wrong with chopper for this application after making a caliper to measure hard to reach areas i found the overall thickness to be at least .312 in thick an indication of a skilled operator as well as good spray equipment FF recently took the process in house no doubt having thickness issues with the vendor in rhode island to date i am on my 3rd FF build 2 roadsters and my coupe i have only noticed thickness variations on on only the most recent roadster body i solved this by laminating the areas in question with 1708 biax and 1- 1/2oz chopped stand mat the important areas are around wheel wells as well as the areas on the fenders over the tires these areas are prone to rocks being tossed off the tire grooves thus damaging the paint chop or hand lay who cares i am more concerned with the welds on my coupe these (heart attack serious welds) look as if the welder had a serious heart attack ie cold welds, excessive weld spatter , poor coping and one radiator mount that is 10 degrees out of alignment paid $500 to have the frame powdercoated these items will be costly to address thinking of finishing car as is and parading it around for what it is any attempt to contact dave results in a call from someone i did not hand 28k to upfront to in the middle of a recession overall this product is ok but i cant help but feel ignored and slighted hope this makes your world more real edwardb

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!.........Just Wow!

24. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More WOW! Really????

3 time poster now Jeff......
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    More WOW! Really????
    I know right? Someone doesn't know the difference between fiberglass mat, cloth and chop.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also be pissed at your English teacher.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching a western on tv but this is better...where’s the popcorn?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 06-29-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not. one. single. period. The context doesn't matter a bit if its one of the most irritating things you've ever read.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

30. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Not. one. single. period. The context doesn't matter a bit if its one of the most irritating things you've ever read.
    That happens with a chopper gun!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

32. Likes Boydster liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    as a composites engineer and having built molds and parts for the marine and aerospace industry i am sure that my coupe body was laid up using a chopper gun the doors and rear lid and spoiler appear to be hand laid hand layup on the body is too pricey due to the man hours and labor required nothing wrong with chopper for this application after making a caliper to measure hard to reach areas i found the overall thickness to be at least .312 in thick an indication of a skilled operator as well as good spray equipment FF recently took the process in house no doubt having thickness issues with the vendor in rhode island to date i am on my 3rd FF build 2 roadsters and my coupe i have only noticed thickness variations on on only the most recent roadster body i solved this by laminating the areas in question with 1708 biax and 1- 1/2oz chopped stand mat the important areas are around wheel wells as well as the areas on the fenders over the tires these areas are prone to rocks being tossed off the tire grooves thus damaging the paint chop or hand lay who cares i am more concerned with the welds on my coupe these (heart attack serious welds) look as if the welder had a serious heart attack ie cold welds, excessive weld spatter , poor coping and one radiator mount that is 10 degrees out of alignment paid $500 to have the frame powdercoated these items will be costly to address thinking of finishing car as is and parading it around for what it is any attempt to contact dave results in a call from someone i did not hand 28k to upfront to in the middle of a recession overall this product is ok but i cant help but feel ignored and slighted hope this makes your world more real edwardb

and still no chopper gun...that is....unless you got the only one. And yes, I'm kind of an expert....just a little bit...da bat......Oh, guys ! Who really cares if the post is "period" correct.....I always put extras in mine so it all balances out !
    Last edited by j.miller; 06-30-2019 at 09:01 AM.

34. Likes GTBradley, i.e.427 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I took Baby Go-Dad for a little road trip last night over to Mobile Speedway (In Al-rrrr Bam-rrrr) to see some Winged Outlaw Sprint Cars run on that wonderful old 1/2 mile asphalt oval and missed all the fiberglass fun.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow is correct,,, Posted this mixed up mess with the idea that all who read it had too much time on stand by ... I was correct,,, Not one person commented on the facts,,, Too much drama,,,How do you find time to build your cars,,, Bottom line ,, Dave misled me on several points ,,,,one of was he promised me a serial #, ,, shook my hand and ran off with 28k in cash up front,,, Grew up in Providence RI as an Irish kid ,,,A hand shake was your word,,,,,perhaps the rules were not the same in BARRINGTON ,,,,, Resin type and construction not true ....Resin burnout test proved that,,,, The welding is substandard,,, Waiting on the results of the duel element B scan ultrasonic using phased scan transducer ,, he did however state that several welds would not pass an OSHA test for a hand rail on a building .....Bottom line is DAVE SMITH is a Sales Hole,,,He will say any thing ...We all drank the cool aid,,,Mine had a bad taste,,,All you drama QUEENS can bugger off,,,No doubt I will be kicked off this site by the nazis... Good ,Do not have time for your gibberish ,,My goal is to inform and prevent anymore people from getting ****ed like i have,,Look at page 89 in the latest catalog,, Also Pete never made that statement,,, The first car was bodied at Califorina Metal Works,,, The rest at carrozolla in italy... **** all of you..... I wiil have had built the motor as well as all the other tasks ,,,,body fitment and paint ect and will display this as what it is,,,NEVER TRUST A SALES HOLE Anybody that has a problem with this can contact me at 727 441 5534 BEING IT ON

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow is correct,,, Posted this mixed up mess with the idea that all who read it had too much time on stand by ... I was correct,,, Not one person commented on the facts,,, Too much drama,,,How do you find time to build your cars,,, Bottom line ,, Dave misled me on several points ,,,,one of was he promised me a serial #, ,, shook my hand and ran off with 28k in cash up front,,, Grew up in Providence RI as an Irish kid ,,,A hand shake was your word,,,,,perhaps the rules were not the same in BARRINGTON ,,,,, Resin type and construction not true ....Resin burnout test proved that,,,, The welding is substandard,,, Waiting on the results of the duel element B scan ultrasonic using phased scan transducer ,, he did however state that several welds would not pass an OSHA test for a hand rail on a building .....Bottom line is DAVE SMITH is a Sales Hole,,,He will say any thing ...We all drank the cool aid,,,Mine had a bad taste,,,All you drama QUEENS can bugger off,,,No doubt I will be kicked off this site by the nazis... Good ,Do not have time for your gibberish ,,My goal is to inform and prevent anymore people from getting ****ed like i have,,Look at page 89 in the latest catalog,, Also Pete never made that statement,,, The first car was bodied at Califorina Metal Works,,, The rest at carrozolla in italy... **** all of you..... I wiil have had built the motor as well as all the other tasks ,,,,body fitment and paint ect and will display this as what it is,,,NEVER TRUST A SALES HOLE

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it. Everyone is wrong and you're right. Now insults and name calling. Perfect.

Reported. Goodbye.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-01-2019 at 02:43 PM.

39. Thanks i.e.427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well this thread has jumped the shark. Clearly Mr. Eurovintage has an issue with Factory Five and with Dave Smith. This type of hostlity goes against our User Code Of Conduct Agreement.

Rather than have this descend into an all out war of words I am going to close this thread and let factory five know about the issue.

I do NOT appreciate being labelled a nazi. Figure of speech or not. I am suspending eurovintage's account at this time until I hear from FFR that the issue is resolved and at that point I will reach out to see if Mr. eurovision cares to apologize. Assuming I rescind euro vintage's account at some point it WILL require a public apology.

Thread closed, infraction issued.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

41. Thanks phileas_fogg, Jetfuel, i.e.427, mburger, Papa thanked for this post
    President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I spoke to this gentleman, and I assured him that Factory Five has never produced a chopper gun body so he is either wrong or doesn't have a Factory Five body. I also explained to him that if he has any problem, I am happy to help him. I can say that this was one of the most challenging conversations I've had in 24 years of running this company, but despite that, I look forward to helping him get his great Coupe built.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing