Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 1,001 to 1,012 of 1012

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Stage 1 IAG block is coming soon, dropping the heads off for re-machining, pressure check, cleaning, etc. at a local shop today. Should be ready to order a bunch of parts and slap an engine together pretty soon
    Frank - Build thread

2. Likes mikeb75, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well, those are cracked heads. Any suggestions for me?

Call IAG and have them send heads too?
    Find used ones?
    2.5 vs 2.0?
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hairline cracks from the spark plugs to the valves are super common. Many builders think at least 50% of Subbies have them after a few years and the owners just don't know it! The cracks get discovered only because the head gaskets are being replaced and during the cleaning process they become visible. Some say to replace the heads, many say that if you pass a compression and leak down test, and are throwing no codes, to just re-use them. Especially if you are running stock levels of boost.

However in your case your block and heads were full of crap, it had a leak down issue, and the engine wasn't running right! And one of your pics looks like a crack that runs radially around part of the sparkplug hole. That is more concerning, I haven't seen that before. All the ones I've had in my heads or seen in NASIOC posts run from the plug hole to the valve in a mostly straight line. So in your case I'd replace the heads.

And if it were me, I'd ask IAG to build new ones spec'd for their short block with the valves, buckets and cams installed as a long block assembly. That way if there is an issue there's no finger pointing about it. Their Stage I longblock is only $8,500, what a bargain.

5. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Likes Pearldrummer7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Gator. When I had my heads done at HeadGames in NJ, they claimed much higher than 50%. They went as far as to say "almost all" Subies have them, and mine did. From experience they said it was nothing to be concerned about, so we re-did the heads and compression and leak down have been spot on. All depends on the degree of the cracks.

7. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Likes Pearldrummer7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the advice. I had a nice long call with IAG talking about this and took away a few things:

1) with my low ish power goals (like 300 wheel or so), 2.0 heads with nice valves will be fine, nothing fancy (like stage 1 or higher)
    2) if I use 2.0 heads I can get away with no wiring harness changes (which would be mighty nice)
    3) a lot of them have cracks, and depending on severity it's fine or it's not

So I found a set of uncracked 2.0 heads on ebay for $1,000 with supertech valves (great seller, tons of detailed photos upon request). It's not as cool as an IAG long block but the budget to put the motor back in the car didn't really allow for that right now. Here's to hoping this build will be sufficient for some track time to help me re-fall in love with the car

edit: and I'll get them chamber matched when I bring them to be cleaned/pressure checked/remachined
    Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 07-20-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    Frank - Build thread

9. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine is all built and installed. Transmission puked all its fluid out one of the axle seals while not moving (after sitting overnight).

Then I noticed the axles were in pretty different depths. I think my Quaife isn't quite centered, the right axle is significantly father out than the left.

I think this might be the straw the breaks the camel's back. I more so want a car I can drive than one I can build at this point in my life, and am very seriously considering parting out/selling the 818. I know a good few of you have done so, not sure if anyone has sold one in non-running order, but I'd love any advice that comes my way. My thoughts were that the new motor + 818 as rolling chassis will be worth more than the nonrunning 818.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I agree, rolling chassis better than non-running.
    Bad news this week on BaT and 818. Complete running car bid to $12500 and did not meet reserve.
    https://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=factory+five+818

Last year I paid more than that for an incomplete kit, my bad?
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    Frank, I agree, rolling chassis better than non-running.
    Bad news this week on BaT and 818. Complete running car bid to $12500 and did not meet reserve.
    https://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=factory+five+818

Last year I paid more than that for an incomplete kit, my bad?
    jim
    wow, that's rough to see. These have not appreciated well
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-818R-part-out

and here it is! let me know if you've got any interest in anything
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to see this, but completely understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gator. You've been a super strong pillar in this community throughout and have been super helpful. No doubt with you and a few others I'd have never put this thing on the track or road.
    Frank - Build thread

16. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very disappointing! When I first read your post on April 1st, I thought it was an April Fool!
    But god damn it it's not!!

Very sad to see how this adventure ends up for you. But then, what's your next adventure? What will replace the 818?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526