Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Wow the floor is on already. Moving fast! Will you have issues fitting the seat mounts if the floor is fixed? I think some others sweat for a while just cuz the floor was limiting access.

About fuel, I may change my forecast setup and thought of a Walbro. You are replacing the in-tank OEM pump with the Walbro and that's it? Walbro will fit in-tank? Basically, it's a straight swap, no special brackets or mods required?
    Oh boy, I hope not! The manual has the seats after the floor IIRC so it shouldn't be that big a deal? It's a Kirkey so it's kinda small and open. We'll find out!

Yes. They're very good pumps and definitely necessary for motors like mine! It is a little longer with a slightly bigger filter (much more flow so more filter area) so it's kinda tricky to fit in. But it mounts the same way and is wired the same way. I recommend one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    But it mounts the same way and is wired the same way. I recommend one!
    I might have issues then. As I have kept none of the donor's fuel pump stuff, including the wiring. At that time my plan was to use my other donor's (Corrado) pumps (I got 2 in line) and wiring. I'll wait until I get there to find the solution.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I might have issues then. As I have kept none of the donor's fuel pump stuff, including the wiring. At that time my plan was to use my other donor's (Corrado) pumps (I got 2 in line) and wiring. I'll wait until I get there to find the solution.
    Oh, right. duh. I thought you'd use the Subaru fuel but the VW probably matches up a bit nicer. Once you get to that point, post some wiring diagrams and I would be glad to help figure out your best bet for fuel with you

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm back! 2.5 weeks of travel for work and vacation. Lovely to have time away, but I definitely missed making progress on the car!

Last night, I mounted the fuel tank. Note the water bottle full of lube.

Quick shot of the mount. I moved it back since I didn't like how the flange sat on the powdercoated corner there.

Also, gave my 2012 WRX some of this stuff:

34K miles on her, some of them being pretty hard. Trans fluid came out perfectly clean and there was no metal to speak of on the drain plug. But, this new stuff is way quieter and a little easier to engage gears with(or it's all in my head). Good stuff for our transmissions; I think I'll be running this on the 818.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    that Motul is great stuff.. I put the Mobile 1 75/90 in last time because I didn't have time to order the Motul (I've used royal purple too) and the Motul feels the best. the Mobile 1 is noisier and not as smooth.

12k more miles and Gear 300 going back in
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's that lube bottle for?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    What's that lube bottle for?
    Drilling holes. Rasmus has said it before and it's so true: always drill with lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh drilling! Yeah I use that all the time, I use some Motul 300V Competition as lube, it's much more efficient than any other oil! lolll Joking, any oil is the probably the same for this job. And not trying to sell Motul stuff either, though we are sort of sold already.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh drilling! Yeah I use that all the time, I use some Motul 300V Competition as lube, it's much more efficient than any other oil! lolll Joking, any oil is the probably the same for this job. And not trying to sell Motul stuff either, though we are sort of sold already.
    Hahah! I think my lube oil is mostly Rotella T6 (my Subaru engine oil of choice), but it's usually a cocktail of whatever is lying around

I'm quite sold on Motul 300 so far. Definitely going in my 5 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, this question goes out to all of you drive-by-cable guys. How the heck did you thread the cable through the 1/4" hole they ask you to drill? Even if it was bigger, the little black plastic piece would need a much bigger hole to fit through. Frank, any advice??

Also, guess I'm doing some grinding of my Ebay rear suspension links. The rearward lower one is definitely not going to fit in the bracket as is. Silly Chinese Ebay parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, this question goes out to all of you drive-by-cable guys. How the heck did you thread the cable through the 1/4" hole they ask you to drill? Even if it was bigger, the little black plastic piece would need a much bigger hole to fit through. Frank, any advice??
    Yes. I haven't done it yet, but a few people, I think Metal and Dan (RM1) at least, drilled a hole big enough, then drilled/saw a line 1/4" to slide the cable through it and in the small FFR hole. Then they plugged the bigger hole with a rubber plug (and whatever they did to plug the line). There are pix of that on someone's build, I hope he will read this. I have it noted somewhere but not off hands right now.

Also, guess I'm doing some grinding of my Ebay rear suspension links. The rearward lower one is definitely not going to fit in the bracket as is. Silly Chinese Ebay parts.
    Should not, many of us with those knock-off ebay links had the same issue, due to the fact the spacers used take into account the OEM washers so that you don't need to use them. But FFR's brackets also eliminated the OEM washers, so the brackets are closer. Then the links are too wide to fit with their spacers and you have to grind them down 2-3mm on each side.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank is correct, bigger hole, make a bushing of a heavy washer with a slot, I'm surprised the manual isn't fixed on this one yet....

I also had to grind spacers on the lateral links, make sure to do a little off both sides
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I haven't done it yet, but a few people, I think Metal and Dan (RM1) at least, drilled a hole big enough, then drilled/saw a line 1/4" to slide the cable through it and in the small FFR hole. Then they plugged the bigger hole with a rubber plug (and whatever they did to plug the line). There are pix of that on someone's build, I hope he will read this. I have it noted somewhere but not off hands right now.
    That's a great idea. Seems like I'll be following Dan's method on this one.

Should not, many of us with those knock-off ebay links had the same issue, due to the fact the spacers used take into account the OEM washers so that you don't need to use them. But FFR's brackets also eliminated the OEM washers, so the brackets are closer. Then the links are too wide to fit with their spacers and you have to grind them down 2-3mm on each side.
    Wait, grind the links, right? Not the FFR mount. That's good that I'm not the only one. Figured that was the reason they didn't quite fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Frank is correct, bigger hole, make a bushing of a heavy washer with a slot, I'm surprised the manual isn't fixed on this one yet....

I also had to grind spacers on the lateral links, make sure to do a little off both sides
    Awesome. Thanks, Dan. I'll be doing what you did. I'm almost considering revamping some of the manual pages and just emailing them to FFR (pro bono) for future builders' sakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great idea. Seems like I'll be following Dan's method on this one.

Wait, grind the links, right? Not the FFR mount. That's good that I'm not the only one. Figured that was the reason they didn't quite fit.

Awesome. Thanks, Dan. I'll be doing what you did. I'm almost considering revamping some of the manual pages and just emailing them to FFR (pro bono) for future builders' sakes.
    Don't bother, when we started I updated everything, IDed errors, wrong photos, by page etc... before the first printing... none of my inputs made it into the manual.... ever.... I stopped bothering to provide them with the inputs, just posted them on the forum and discussed with the other 5-6 early builders with build threads
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the explanation on why we had to grind them Frank. Makes a lot more sense now.

Pearl drummer, grind the conical bushings that fit into the end link of the lateral link (at least they were on mine which were aftermarket adjustables). The wide part before the taper, so that it mounts in the narrower 818 mount space.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    Thanks for the explanation on why we had to grind them Frank. Makes a lot more sense now.
    No tnx for me Rich, if should all go to Jaime, if I remember he was the first to explain that. It's not coming from me, but I had to do it just a few days after he did and I came up with a different grinding method, explained in my thread.

You grind the conical bushings of the ebay links and also the straight cylindrical bushings of those links. It depends on which side you install one of the link, it seems to fit well either side, so it's up to you. On one end it has cylindrical bushings and on the other it has conical ones. But NO FFR parts is modified for this. At least I absolutely didn't need to.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that's what I did:

Fit great now! I went junkyarding to get a front hub (as I broke one a while back)....got another driver hub when I needed a passenger one *facepalm*. Back to the junkayrd it is! Anyone need a not-too-rusty front driver hub?

Also started work on the rear hubs. They're really rusty (which I can deal with), but I still can't get the axle nut off. Didn't do it while it was on the car because I was given 1 week notice that I was losing my garage space and had to hustle. I underestimated how difficult it would be to remove them without a transmission to stick them into. Might just bite the bullet and get a new set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also- got to drive a co-worker's car the other day. I'm sure everyone will know what it is right away, but here's a pic of one of the coolest parts of it:

Anyone consider machining a plate to make the 818 shifter gated instead of a boot? I haven't even looked into the mounting there, so I'm not sure it's even possible yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll guess an R8.

I have considered doing something like the Pagani or Spyker Laviolette, but I am yet far from there, I need to fit a lot of parts in that area before I get into something. I thought of an armrest for which an extension would be the H plate, sort of higher than the bottom of the shifter. But I have a K-tuned shifter, not the FFR one.

I don't like your rear hub, yuk!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll guess an R8.

I have considered doing something like the Pagani or Spyker Laviolette, but I am yet far from there, I need to fit a lot of parts in that area before I get into something. I thought of an armrest for which an extension would be the H plate, sort of higher than the bottom of the shifter. But I have a K-tuned shifter, not the FFR one.

I don't like your rear hub, yuk!
    Yup! An R8. Really cool car. Just amazingly made. So much attention to detail....not a bad engine note, either

My rear hubs are awful. Along with the transmission, definitely the biggest hurdles to me completing the car thus far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't do it while it was on the car because I was given 1 week notice that I was losing my garage space and had to hustle. I underestimated how difficult it would be to remove them without a transmission to stick them into. Might just bite the bullet and get a new set.
    Ouch, what r u gonna do without a garage? BTW I have an extra 2 front hubs (with shot bearings but not too rusty) and one rear hub with a good bearing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Ouch, what r u gonna do without a garage? BTW I have an extra 2 front hubs (with shot bearings but not too rusty) and one rear hub with a good bearing
    That was before when I had the donor car. Now I'm in a house with a much larger garage and I don't have to travel to get to it

Any chance you'd sell my the front passenger one? Yesterday I actually found someone selling the rears in good enough shape for me (new bearings and stiffer bushings). Rust doesn't scare me, as I intend to de rust and give them new bearings/ball joints anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you'd sell my the front passenger one? Yesterday I actually found someone selling the rears in good enough shape for me (new bearings and stiffer bushings). Rust doesn't scare me, as I intend to de rust and give them new bearings/ball joints anyway.
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    A month without updates! But no updates doesn't mean no progress!

Of course, my stupid 1986 Craftsman lawn mower's engine blew up. So, still retaining my college-kid mentality, I fixed it instead of buying a new one.....by swapping the motor. Popped a 1999 Kohler engine into it, made a wiring harness, and learned that the Kohler was fed fuel via gravity, not vacuum -_-
    So I made a new fuel tank, relocated the battery to hang off the rear of the mower, got rid of the stock tank, and repainted the thing. Definitely slowed progress a little, as will my trip to southern California next week (woohoo training for work!). Here are a couple quick pics:

Fuel not permanently mounted in this pic*

It fits! Mostly

Battery mount:

Paint job:

Still needs work, but it's a fun little project that I'm now way more committed to than I intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    But, ANYWAY- car updates. Front suspension is mounted (except the hubs, which I intend to press bearings/seals into this week before I leave).

Used the stock links to get a good handle on approximate length for the adjustable Ebay ones. Test fitted the rear hub assemblies to make sure everything would work. I know I have to take off the links to put the axles in.

Wrapped the exhaust with lava wrap and steel zip ties.

And I got a new toy! used to pop the engine in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress is looking good. I like the color of the suspension links.

You've got the trailing arms flipped. Convex side goes in. Concave side out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Progress is looking good. I like the color of the suspension links.

You've got the trailing arms flipped. Convex side goes in. Concave side out.
    Are you sure? That's the same orientation as the manual shows; concave facing in.

Unless I'm confused, which is quite possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure? That's the same orientation as the manual shows; concave facing in.

Unless I'm confused, which is quite possible.
    The picture in the manual is wrong, they go the other way so the tires fits, as I also followed the picture :-(
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Definitely slowed progress a little, as will my trip to southern California next week (woohoo training for work!).
    Where are you off to? It's supposed to heat up here this weekend (90 at the coast and triple digits inland) so be prepared!

Post Thanks / Like
    100% sure.

Manual's got it wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    The picture in the manual is wrong, they go the other way so the tires fits, as I also followed the picture :-(
    Ah. I'll fix that. Thanks for the find, guys. I knew if I messed up it would get brought up immediately

Looks ways better, Rasmus. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Where are you off to? It's supposed to heat up here this weekend (90 at the coast and triple digits inland) so be prepared!
    Headed to Lake Forest, near Irvine/South of LA. Can't wait for some warm weather and beaches!

Edit: Just checked the map. We''ll be pretty close, actually! haha if you feel like coming up to Lake Forest, let's meet up!
    Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 09-10-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Headed to Lake Forest, near Irvine/South of LA. Can't wait for some warm weather and beaches!

Edit: Just checked the map. We''ll be pretty close, actually! haha if you feel like coming up to Lake Forest, let's meet up!
    Cool... My wife's from Orange County, so we get up there pretty often, but with work it would be tough to make the drive up and back on a week night. Definitely get down to Newport and/or Laguna Beach and if you need any pointers, let me know. The Crab Cooker in Newport and The Cellar in San Clemente (particularly if you like wine) are two of our favorites. You should also try to hook up with Brandon (Brando) to check out his 818R, since he's right next door to where you'll be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Cool... My wife's from Orange County, so we get up there pretty often, but with work it would be tough to make the drive up and back on a week night. Definitely get down to Newport and/or Laguna Beach and if you need any pointers, let me know. The Crab Cooker in Newport and The Cellar in San Clemente (particularly if you like wine) are two of our favorites. You should also try to hook up with Brandon (Brando) to check out his 818R, since he's right next door to where you'll be.
    Oh awesome! I will reach out to Brandon and see if he wants to meet up. Always down to meet other 818 people!

I plan to hit both of those beaches, and I'll tell me co-worker (traveling with me) about the restaurants. Thanks for the suggestions; I can't t wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh awesome! I will reach out to Brandon and see if he wants to meet up. Always down to meet other 818 people!

I plan to hit both of those beaches, and I'll tell me co-worker (traveling with me) about the restaurants. Thanks for the suggestions; I can't t wait.
    Have a great trip! And if you need to do any shopping (gifts for family, etc...) South Coast Plaza is nearby in Costa Mesa; it's a "mall", but with lots of very high end shops. You could easily blow your whole 818 budget in one visit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Friend doing his first oil change on his Mk7 GTI while I .... remove the axle nuts from my super rusty ruined rear hubs. Few sparks to shed some light on the garage.

We also came up with a few ideas, including a good way to do drive-by-cable mounting and such (since I don't think it's well documented or been done too many times).

Post Thanks / Like
    Pressed a wheel bearing for the first time today! Went smoothly, which is an inspiring sign. I used the old bearing's outer race to push on the new bearing's outer race.

Realized I don't have enough bolts/nuts to attach it, so I'll have to order some more.

Also got the quote back from the guy who is repairing the LGT transmission I have (which wouldn't go into 1st)....$1,400 plus tax. Ouch. Needs a new second gear, 1-2 shift block, some bearings, synchros, etc. So, this begs the question....anyone have any clever ideas for transmissions? Perhaps a place to get them used(besides the forums, which I'm hunting).

Here is a screenshot from my GoPro video of the night autox I did in the WRX:

Man, turns come on way faster at night than during the day! The videos are cool to watch. Definitely was a little less ballsy with my braking distances in the dark.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    For used transmissions, check www.car-part.com. Its an online wrecker database. I have used it to find obscure parts very successfully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Andrewtech a call, they specialize in subaru transmissions and usually have some used ones on hand. (240) 683-1000

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    For used transmissions, check www.car-part.com. Its an online wrecker database. I have used it to find obscure parts very successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Give Andrewtech a call, they specialize in subaru transmissions and usually have some used ones on hand. (240) 683-1000
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. I called my buddy Sam at Andrewtech and am getting an 06 WRX trans! That'll work for now.

Engine is installed, front hubs are on the car as well. The steering rack needs to be re-dyed at ball joint. Those threads have seen better days. Hopefully salvageable. Next up are things like mounting the seat, fuel lines/filter, and coolant hoses.

Also, picking this beast up Friday! 5 speed, 4.9L straight 6, cap, and almost no rust(was a Southern truck before 2012). Drove it last night and put a deposit on it right away. Should do just fine as a tow-rig

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the trailer? Fuel bottles, spare tires, etc.?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast