Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NoVa 818 Build

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks super ! Thanks for showing the tow bar, something I've been mulling over.

2. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Art, by the way, your switchback turn signal circuits are working like a charm!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    congrats, looks like a nice driver
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

5. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Started laughing at the switch labels on the dash... then thought, "maybe they're serious?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pix! I couldn't not notice some details, like the same tow hook as I use, similar strengthening idea so it pulls the car and doesn't bend the 1/2 tube and that hole in the driver's rear splash guard to clear the coolant hose. Mine too makes a bump there but I was able to get away with just that.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Congrats on the first legal drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Started laughing at the switch labels on the dash... then thought, "maybe they're serious?"
    The fourth switch is for future use and isn't connected to anything. I had been watching a lot of fast and furious on tv so I thought I'd have some fun with it. It fooled a few people at the car meet

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Nice pix! I couldn't not notice some details, like the same tow hook as I use, similar strengthening idea so it pulls the car and doesn't bend the 1/2 tube and that hole in the driver's rear splash guard to clear the coolant hose. Mine too makes a bump there but I was able to get away with just that.
    Thanks! The tow tubes are attached directly to the metal that protrudes under the steering rack so hopefully the 1/2 tubing holding the radiator takes very little load. I couldn't get away with putting that splash guard on without cutting that hole but I did go back and cover it with aluminum duct tape to seal off the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Looking good! Congrats on the first legal drive!
    Thanks! I've gotta check out yours sometime and feel the power!

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove the 818 to work for the first time today! I couldn't be happier with this thing, it's still needs a lot of body work and a finished interior (and a tune!) but I'm glad I got it on the road and can enjoy it before the winter. 80 mph on the highway felt like nothing, it was very stable. Just cracked 100 miles on the odometer too. Here's the view from the office next to my co-worker's MR2.

20191004_102423_HDR.jpg20191004_102444_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the firs commute! It really is a great feeling, isn't it? 'Great to look out and see the results of all the effort, and of course It's hard not to see "more to do's".
    Out-front.jpg

That only downside is that at least in my case, work on the car went down significantly as driving went up- and that's OK. Have fun!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

12. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Likes Bob_n_Cincy, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's one of the best pictures I've seen in quite a while. Looking out from your office saying, "I built that car!"
    The feeling never stops.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

14. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Likes Bob_n_Cincy, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another milestone! Enjoy!

16. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa that is nice!! From the window, I envy you.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

18. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dyno 11-14-20.jpg

I finally had the 818 dyno tuned this past weekend with pretty good results. I had been driving it to work (and breaking in the new motor) the last few months and trying to really take it easy, even took it on a few date nights with the Mrs. I racked up about 800 miles. So on Saturday I took it up to TurboXS to get a speed density tune on an AP. It made 345 hp and 297 ft/lbs at 17 psi of boost. We were having a misfire issue during the runs that we couldn't quite nail down. It was basically causing some bumpiness in the power curve, this can be seen in the videos. We tried replacing the plugs, put in another set of used coils, replaced all of the fuel and added another ground wire to the engine. The misfire got better but didn't go away completely. We sort of ran out of quick ideas and had to call the session short. I'll have to fix the misfire and return to finish the tune. We weren't getting any knock though, so that's good.

I'm going to likely replace the engine wiring harness since it's relatively cheap and my current harness is from 2002. The connectors may be corroded and wiring could be brittle so I'll see if that helps. I could also get a set of performance coils and plugs. The tuner thought it was likely an ignition issue or a bad ground so I'll troubleshoot these things first. My fuel system is not likely causing the issue but that would be the next thing on the list to check. Open to suggestions here.

Now, on to the power. This thing pulls like a monster, it's borderline scary! The 18G turbo spools by about 4k RPM and pulls like a train to red line. It feels like a completely different car than the one I've been driving the last few years. I'm also relieved the engine I put together held up! There's still power on the table since we're only running at 17 psi but it feels plenty fast already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4cXPqSOraw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2QfwUUbk4

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds awesome.

21. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, congrats on the new engine build! Next time you're planning to be at TurboXS, send me a note. I'm about 10 minutes from there!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

23. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ride the other day, she definitely "gits down"! The misfire should be an "easy" fix and once it's ironed out, she's going to be singing!

25. Likes STiPWRD liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345