BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 0 to 60 mph – What should an 818 do?

Post Thanks / Like
    My spec C getting craned out by the roof vent after being stripped.

Attachment 26948

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to watching your build.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fix those attachments sssly, what a tease.

... I LOLd at that garage packing video, how many pounds can you ship? Is Uncle Sam is paying the bill?

Reminds me of when I moved last time, car parts in drawers, car parts under shelves, on shelves, in bins, in the attic, in the basement, in closets....
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 03-17-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssly View Post
    ROFL...you trying out for the next Fast and Furious?

The thread is about theoretic 0-60 times based on an online calculator. So that is what people are talking about. Including myself.

Not trying to get into a my car is better than your car contest with anyone. Just stating my plans for my build and referencing them to the theoretical times based on the calculator in the thread.

So lets start over again. Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Brooker. I go by ssssly on all the forums I frequent. Feel fee to look me up on the other international Subaru forums. I have lived in Japan for the last 7 years and have been building and parting Subarus in Japan for about the last 5. I'm in the process of relocating to Omaha, Nebraska this week. Flying out of Tokyo on Thursday.

Nice to meet you all. Not trying to hide behind the internet. Not blowing a bunch of smoke or trying to one up anyone. I'm a real person and anyone is more than welcome to come over to my new place in Omaha for some beers, a cup of tea, wrench on some cars, whatever. Just sharing my plans.

I'm looking forward to building my 818S, which is ordered, with a delivery date of 8/9/2104. And I'm sure I'll have my share of questions through my build. I am very experienced with JDM Subarus, but not with the 818.

I built the engine that will be going in my 818. Its a 2.2l stroker, stock nitrated 79mm crank, manley rods, custom 93mm Wossner stroker pistons, the new xpg series king bearings with stock V9 spec C heads.

Attachment 26943

Attachment 26944

Attachment 26945

I received confirmation Feb 10th from Jeremy at FullRace that I will be getting one of the next twin scroll 7163s. Should be available middle of next month.

If it's too much, this custom GT3071R will be going on it instead. Is a PnPed vf34, with a S204 vf42 hot side and a billet Garrett GT3071R CHRA. Ran it on my daily driver spec C for the last 6 months before I stripped it for my move. Pushes 24 psi to redline. Will peak at 28, but starts running out of juice on the top. Ran it at 25 peak to 24 at 9k.

Attachment 26946

Attachment 26947

And once I get the car built, i will share the results I get (pink slips and all) both to aid others and get suggestions from those more experienced.

BTW you should be able to get a bit more out of that vf37. I normally tune them to peak at 19.5 PSI and taper to 16-17 at redline. You can get as much as 21psi out of them, but they just start blowing hot air after that. And you aren't gaining anything much by running it out to 8600. The vf37 can't flow enough air to continue making additional HP after 6800. Plus, you can't keep the charge air cool enough on any of the stock top mounts to run the timing you would need to continue making HP above 7K. But we generally get 360-75ish, on Japanese 95 octane, out of them at 5800ish.

And the stock Target boost table on a JDM STI A4T series ECU map should be 2.2 bar at 4800 RPM. So ~17.4PSI not 14. 14 PSI is what the stock JDM WRX non STI, non AVCS, ECUs run. I can send you the stock JDM V8/9 STI and spec C maps if you would like them.

Great engines to work with and they do love to rev.

Looking forward to learning from everyone's builds and sharing mine.

Be well
    Lol, no I drive like a grandma, good to meet ya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fast and furious, hmmm not a bad idea

Anyway, your build ideas are very interesting (love the motor choice)
    and I hope to see you wrenching on your 818 soon. I was just busting cause we have had some guys talk the world up on the forum and disappear. My hp numbers are whp and on a lower reading dyno. I might run 19-20psi and go for gold, but as I see it now slightly above 300 whp might be all I need. I also want as much rev potential as I can get for track purposes so the 8k plus is a plus. My buddy matt has got damn near 400 whp with a v8 ej207 vf37 (391 if I recall) with stock everything, but that was pushing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    With the unknown reliability of all the torque going through the front diff, I personally am not going to be doing m/any 1st gear launches... it'll be quick enough rolling on the throttle after a smooth clutch engagement.

And I agree... it's all about the twisties... can't wait to take it up the South Grade of Palomar Mountain, just in my 'back-yard':

Attachment 26854
    Hey Wleehendrick
    We just bought a second home in Pauma Valley CC, where do you pick up that road ? Off 76 ? I have seen that name somewhere but I am sort of new around there
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Fix those attachments sssly, what a tease.

... I LOLd at that garage packing video, how many pounds can you ship? Is Uncle Sam is paying the bill?

Reminds me of when I moved last time, car parts in drawers, car parts under shelves, on shelves, in bins, in the attic, in the basement, in closets....
    Fixed them in my pre build thread

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...buildup-thread

they pay for the first 11k lbs. I pay $1 a pound ofter that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Fast and furious, hmmm not a bad idea

Anyway, your build ideas are very interesting (love the motor choice)
    and I hope to see you wrenching on your 818 soon. I was just busting cause we have had some guys talk the world up on the forum and disappear. My hp numbers are whp and on a lower reading dyno. I might run 19-20psi and go for gold, but as I see it now slightly above 300 whp might be all I need. I also want as much rev potential as I can get for track purposes so the 8k plus is a plus. My buddy matt has got damn near 400 whp with a v8 ej207 vf37 (391 if I recall) with stock everything, but that was pushing it.
    Checked out your build thread. Good stuff indeed.

Yeah, there are definitely 390ish vf37 setups. You can peak them out at mid 20 psi ranges to get big HP numbers around 5k.

If you are going to wind it out to 8k you may want to keep it around 17 psi peak, taper to 15.5. And port the crap out of the hot side. At high RPM it just can't flow enough air without cranking up the temp to 11.

If you tap a temp sensor into intake manifold you could tune your boost to your inlet temps. You could log the intake temp vs psi, to see where adding additional psi starts cranking up the temps. No sense in increasing psi just to pull timing for high temps.

Is why I went from the vf36 to my hybrid 3071R. It was cooking stuff above 7k at anything more than 16 psi. Would heat soak the crap out of the TMIC even with 100% water spray.

And I can't wait to get wrenching on this either. Looks like a fun platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ITALIAN View Post
    Hey Wleehendrick
    We just bought a second home in Pauma Valley CC, where do you pick up that road ? Off 76 ? I have seen that name somewhere but I am sort of new around there
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

There are three ways up Palomar Mountain, and all are just off the 76 to the North. Nate Harrison Rd is the image I posted, but it's mostly dirt and leads into the state park (Google Maps picked it). South Grade Road is the steepest/twistiest, and my favorite to go up; lots of switchbacks. East Grade Rd is less steep and has more fast sweepers; it's not as much fun to climb, but much less pucker-factor on descent.

Mother's Kitchen at the intersection up top is a popular place on weekend mornings for motorheads; kind of SD's Rock Store. If that's your roadster in your avatar, take it for a spin up there and I'm sure you will get lot's of attention!

Once I get my 818 on the road, I'd love to go for a cruise. You're literally right at the doorstep of some great roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I PM 'ed you
    I may just keep the Roadster down there during the summer months since it is hard to bring the wife & kids in a race car.
    We were there this weekend and the weather was awesome. Had brunch at Harrah's Sunday, still stuffed.
    I'll ask around next time out, don't want to mess around any dirt roads, that sliding & death thing is not my style.
    Cole Grade road is the back entrance to our neighborhood and it is a drag strip. The guard asked me to "jump on it"
    so my easily influenced personality obliged him, somehow a cop showed up shortly after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roads like that make me salivate. Here in CT, I just can't find a safe place to open up a sports car (except tracks, Lime Rock and now Thompson). Too many driveways and side streets. Was similar back in TX. Around Dallas you were going to hit a tractor, horse or something. Too congested; usually too flat to be fun. There are open areas, where you can see forever and double+ the marked speed (like in E. TX). In The Hill Country there's a high likelihood you will meet an oncoming cop with radar. Ask me how I know...
    Would be fun to get on Tail of the Dragon, but it's a long hike from here.
    Currently, my go-to road is a stretch of the Sunshine Coast highway in BC
    I created this Google map of great US driving roads. There are three less than an hour from LA. Please make suggestions. I have not been on many of these. I've worn out the Sunshine Coast Highway in BC.

Post Thanks / Like
    If/when you come to Oregon, I'll show you some local asphalt candy to add to your map!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Roads like that make me salivate. Here in CT, I just can't find a safe place to open up a sports car
    Hey, I grew up in CT and had loads of fun driving the back roads... but that was in my first car, a '74 BMW 2002 with 165mm tires and barely over 100HP! Great car, though; I'd love another one someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those old BMW's, Not many survivors though. . My first car, a Porsche 911T, sold it to buy my first property. I have a soft spot for old German sports cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12