Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hot Rod Front Fenders

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Front Fenders

Been looking at front fender mounting etal. My tires are 235 x 40 x 17 on the FF5 9" wheels. Section width approx. 9 3/4 ".
    Brackets outside fenders: tire too close to fender and fender overhangs tire too much.
    Brackets inside fenders: Looks good from side (proper overhang) but may limit turning wheel.

I realize I can section fender, space fender brackets to car, use wheel spacers or a combination of these or other?

How did you do it and recommendations. Thanks

bracket inside fender.jpgbracket outside fender.jpgIMG_0094.jpg

Photo on left-inside fender, middle -outside fender
    Last edited by mcrumay; 03-01-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    hi Mike,

IMHO the fenders are just too wide for the tires most of us use. As supplied, they just don't look right and actually take away from the look of the car from my perspective.

What I did was cut the 1/2" bar and welded a 1/4" bar to it above the fender line. This allowed me to mount the bar to the inside of the fender but not take up so much room. The rear support was a little more of a challenge but the end result met my approval. Photos on my build page if you care to take a look.

In regards to the width, I'm afraid the only solution is to section it if it bothers you as much as it did me. It's pretty easy to do. I actually have two sets of rear fenders as I sectioned an extra set and widened them 2" so I can run a REAL wide tire on the rear if I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you look at the fenders on Tom Veale's 33?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using 245/40-17 tires and had the same issue. Easiest way to section the fender for me was to 1) mark the center, 2) run a piece of 3/4" masking tape centered on the mark, 3) cut on each side of the tape with a .045 x 4.5" cutting wheel, 4) bevel the inside edge on each piece back 1" leaving half the thickness of the fender for easy fitup, 5) tape the two pieces back together on the outside and use a few layers of fiberglass cloth to fill the bevels on the inside, 6) bevel the outside as you did the inside down to solid fiberglass (no remaining seam), 7) use a few layers of fiberglass cloth to fill the outside, 8) clean it all up and you have a front fender about 7/8" narrower that fits the tire far better. At the same time, I glassed in blind mounting nuts so that there are no protruding bolt heads or nuts on the inside to interfere. Worked for me!

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys a 245 or 255 will fill out the fender a little better , i have spaced the bracket off the spindle to center the fender..

wanna be
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with larger wheels and tires

Post Thanks / Like
    I read your description of what you did to narrow your fenders, spot on. the use of cloth rather than mat might cause print through on the paint at a later date. We do everything as you said but we tear small bits of mat to do this bond.