Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration and Emissions in Arizona

Post Thanks / Like

Registration and Emissions in Arizona

Arizona Emissions Info:

I'm taking this from external sources. I don't have any firsthand experience without my car being built yet. I'm personally planning on obtaining Collector's Insurance which will notify the motor vehicle department to put a flag on the registration to make it emissions exempt. I don't plan on driving the car everywhere, so I should be good with the low annual mileage rule the insurance company will require.

Source:

Reconstructed vehicle. A vehicle that has been assembled or constructed largely by means of essential
    parts, new or used, derived from vehicles or makes of vehicles of various names, models and types or
    that, if originally otherwise constructed, has been materially altered by the removal of essential parts or
    by the addition or substitution of essential parts, new or used, derived from other vehicles or makes of
    vehicles. For the purposes of this paragraph, "essential parts" means integral and body parts, the
    removal, alteration or substitution of which will tend to conceal the identity or substantially alter the
    appearance of the vehicle.

Specially constructed vehicle. A vehicle not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make,
    model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles.

-----

Source: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/tested.html

Exempted Vehicles

Most model year 2010 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
    Most model year 2012 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
    Model year 1966 and older vehicles
    Vehicles designated as "collectible" (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)
    Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
    Motorcycles
    Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
    Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
    Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)

-----

Source: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

Collectible Vehicle Exemption

An exemption from emissions testing is available for vehicles designated as "collectible". ARS 49-542(J)(2)(k) became effective in 2007 and applies to the following collectible vehicles:

A vehicle that is at least 15 years old or is rare, unique, limited production and an object of curiosity.
    And is BOTH:
    a) maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other public functions, kept in a private collection and used infrequently;
    b) AND, has a collectible or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.
    To obtain this exemption, the vehicle owner must contact his insurance carrier to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.

-----

Anybody want to include their experiences with title/inspection/registration?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having lots of fun with this one!

If the car is registered as a standard specialty construction vehicle with a 2013 model year, it will require emissions in 2018+. However, as you stated above, if you get "collectible car" insurance, it will be forever exempt. However, nearly every insurance company that I've talked to that offers collectible car insurance will not insure it as such, since it is not a 1979 or older model OR a replica of a 1972 or older car...

I've only found one that will insure it as a collectible car, American Collectors Insurance (through USAA). They quoted $1025/year for an agreed value of $30,000. They also stated that the car can never be raced... Oh, they also need the VIN number before they'll issue an insurance policy...

Ugghhh
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome,

So let's say they did require emissions in 2018+ .. what if my car does not have an OBDII port? If the car did not come with one, I assume they would run a normal sniffer test, but I could see some issues with them not understanding it does not have OBDII and even if it did, would not match the make and model of the vehicle it would be reporting as.

Hopefully I can find a collectors insurance company willing to work with me on this. I wonder what people do with the GTM, or do they claim it is an ancient GT40? And who is to say the 818 isn't a badly designed replica of a 1965 Porsche?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    See my prior post on this same topic for my Roadster MK4. FFR certificate of origin must show 1965 and then no tech, no smog. No problem collector car insurance if conditions met (miles per year, not daily driver, etc.) If any questions let me know directly. I am in Tucson as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I'll contact FFR to see if they can designate 1965 on the COO for the 818. If this is the case, it could make things much less stressful for us in Arizona.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome and Bompus, I'm certainly following this and thank you both for paving the way. So far I've kept the OBD and most of the emission control stuff but I'd love to chop it out if not needed for the DMV.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got this reply from FFR when I asked if the COO could be printed as a 1965:

Since the 818 was designed by Factory Five and isn't a replica of another vehicle the COO lists the year as when it is produced, so in your case it will be a 2014 818S Roadster. There is no way to have it printed any differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sort of understand, but when you really think about it, it makes no sense: The year on the COO is dictated by whether the car resembles another car or not...

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R that was shipped over with some rally cars back in 07. The problem I had with that car is that it had no title (only a de-registration certificate from Japan). Eventually, through many hoops and papers shuffled around, and paying more (it's only $8) fees than I can remember, I eventually had the car legally registered and titled in arizona... So, I have navigated the waters of AZ's title and Registration bureau. Even the inspector laughed and said "you're the first one of these I have been able to pass, and you didn't have to change a thing!" (heh heh heh)

First of all, AZ is a car builder's dream... The laws are very stringent for those who are driving a 73 buick, to try and get those cars off the road, but for the kit car builder, it's very easy.

The GTM and the 818 are considered special construction vehicles. They do not need emissions. They need basic safety equipment and windshields, but that's basically it. If you've lived in AZ long enough, you will have seen at least one or two sand rails with licence plates driving around.

The key is to go to a DMV office that is familiar with the process. The best ones are by the river bottom, where many of the rock crawler, sand rail, and custom car shops are. My favorite is the one in Tempe by the drive in theater (is it still there?). They are ALWAYS busy, but that's because they are an inspection station as well.

Go down there EARLY in the morning... like 10 minutes before they open up (ON A WEEKDAY!!!! THIS IS KEY). and be one of the first people there. Then just go up to the counter, be extremely nice and say "Hey, I'm building this kit car... What do I need to do to get it totally legal. What paperwork do I need to bring in, what's the process? Please tell me EVERYTHING I need, cause I want to come in here and make your job easy for you when it's time to do it."

2nd, be nice, smile!!!! I have had agents wave fees, push things through that I really had not done properly, and go out of their way to help me out. All because I walked up with a smile and joked with them. These agents are dealing with pissed off people who are only there because they HAVE to be... they come up to the window put out, and put off. The agents love when they see someone who doesn't immediately think that they are OWED something!

As it's early in the morning, and the lines are not long... also they are still in a good mood because they havn't had to tell 50 goobers that there's nothing that can be done to get their licence back because they havn't paid their fines, and the goobers are crying because they can't take their crippled mama to her dialysis appointments without the car......(you get the point). You are not that angry and crying goober. You are this nice guy who's trying to make their job easy for them in the future... so they will spend time making sure that you have all the information you need.

Notice I did not say "CALL THEM" because AZ MVD's call center is staffed by prisoners who know nothing more than the fee schedule for registration and titles. You will spend 45 minutes on the phone with them as Laquisha in Tent city tries to find someone who knows something. only to end the call with the phrase "go down to the office..." from the prisoner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I sort of understand, but when you really think about it, it makes no sense: The year on the COO is dictated by whether the car resembles another car or not...
    Changes from state to state. Some the emissions requirements are based on the body, or even what the body looks like. Other states it's based on the chassis.

You really have to know your states laws.

State A: It's a 32 Ford body based on a 74 Mustang frame... Because their laws are based on the shape of the body, emissions would be dictated on the requirements for 32

State B: Same 32 body on the same 74 frame... This time lawas would be based on 1974 as that's the year of the frame and that's what their laws state.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my point - it's silly!

Post Thanks / Like
    In my state it's the year of the engine case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitive answer:

1. You will need to schedule a Level II inspection. The guy just looked at my paperwork (Certificate of Origin, Title of Destruction from the donor), wrote down the serial number on top of the engine block, and checked the mileage (got it from my AimSport MXL Pista). He affixed the AZ identification number to the chassis. Done.

2. You will need to apply for an Arizona title. Your year/make/model will be 201X/SPCON/SPCON or similar. The year depends on your Certificate of Origin date.

3. You will need insurance. If you get regular insurance, you will be required to have emissions after 5 years from your model year date. However, if you get "collector car insurance" and your declarations page / policy states this, they will input it into the system as such and you will be exempt from emissions. I ended up getting a collector/kit car insurance policy through Leland West.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew! Thanks Jerome! I'll go with collector car insurance, of course.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Whew! Thanks Jerome! I'll go with collector car insurance, of course.
    No problem, Pete. What's the status with yours? Ready to start and go-kart it?
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome, my build is very slow now due to lack of garage time. I've got most of the wiring figured out but my business is seasonal and the season is winter. I'm about the only Arizonan looking forward to summer in the garage . . . with AC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Jerome. I was hoping my plan for the exemption could somehow work and looks like it did Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have experience with a kit car registration in Virginia ??? I am wondering how strict they are about emissions. Here on the Eastern shore they don't even check emissions during your yearly registration inspection.

I have a scheduled pickup at the factory 04/12/2014. The excitement is building. ROGER L MUNZ
    Last edited by grayghost; 03-30-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added information

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally trailered my 818 to the AZ DMV and got a VIN, title and plates! I showed them collector car insurance, they checked the chassis number vs. the FFR CO, wrote down the number on the block but compared it to nothing (?), then copied my entire 3-inch file of receipts, then added up the receipts to arrive at the registration fee ($380.45). At least no sales tax and no emission test. To anyone doing this, I needed a Level 2 Inspection and they didn't care about lights, wipers, brakes or anything other than checking for possible stolen parts. The inspections open at 7 AM so I arrived at 6:30 to find 12 people waiting in line at the door! Five hours later I left with plates, so be sure to bring a lot of patience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Pete! I'm not sure I have receipts for everything, but all of the major stuff, I'm sure I can track it down. I'm guessing they aren't too concerned with comparing every receipt with every part, as long as it's reasonable proof that you build the car for roughly the amount they would expect from looking at it, or not caring at all. Hopefully I can get some work done on mine soon, and can share the same good news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Pete on getting the registration done, but five hours?!! Wow, that really is a long time, even for AZ DMV. If you register it initially with collector car insurance and get the emissions exemption, do you have to keep the collector car insurance forever? Can you change to more traditional (and potentially cheaper) insurance to be able to use more miles each year?
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the insurance companies report to the state. My experience is that collector car insurance is much cheaper than regular daily driver insurance. Sure, there's a mileage limit but my 818 insurance costs about 2/3 of my DD insurance, and for a little more money you can extend the mileage limit. I think it's cheaper because the insurance company knows you protect your baby by not parking in bad areas, keeping it garaged, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been registered since Feb 2017 and it was a simple 4 hr wait/process with level 2 inspection and then got my 5 year registration, the hardest part was giving the car a name for the title but the ladies there were all interested on how it would play out and worked together to have the computer accept it and typed out lol. Collector car insurance ofcourse, 6000 miles a year for less then $600 and 2 drivers.