FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bompus 818S Build

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Bompus 818S Build

It's my birthday today, so I guess now is the perfect time to start my build thread. This is my first kit ever and I have very limited fabrication experience, so this will be quite the task.

FFR says my 818S will have a June 21, 2014 production date. I'm planning on making a soft top, so hopefully the soft top and wiper kit are available at that time.

Donor pallet is shipping to me today ( I'm in Arizona ) from Wayne @ VeryCoolParts. Included in that crate are some goodies such as the 2005 WRX 2.0L donor parts, K-Tuned billet shifter kit, Electromotive TECs ECU + VCP harness, AWIC kit w/ BOV, STi OEM oil pan + dip stick, Killer B pickup + baffle windage tray, new front aluminum control arms. I also have the Quaife QDH3Y LSD on order from The Race Line.

I'm going to try and use parts from as many vendors as possible to help support the community.

Just starting, I already know this project is going to cost upwards of 30k, but I know it will give me much more satisfaction than going out and buying a 30k production car. For others that are scared of the cost, I'm assuming you could build it for under 20k if you obtained and stripped the donor yourself, used all OEM components, and didn't need to replace or dress anything up.

This week will involve preparing the garage for delivery of the donor pallet + goodies. It gives me the opportunity to re-organize my tools as well, so this should be a fun week.

Look forward to sharing my progress with the group. My plan is to provide as much detail as possible during the build to help others out who haven't done this before.

- Aaron
    Last edited by bompus; 03-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great start from VCP

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on making the plunge and starting a new adventure!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha. You say you don't have experience but you seemed very knowledgeable last Saturday when you came to see my 818. You've clearly done your homework. Plus, you're smart enough to get goodies from VCP. I look forward to nice stuff on your build thread.
    Explain the name "Bompus"
    Happy Birthday, Aaron.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! With VCP donor palette and extra parts, your kit will practically be bolt-together!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Explain the name "Bompus".
    This goes a long way back.. basically, we were driving a couple of cars across town and communicating via two-way radio. Somebody forgot to wait a second after keying the mic and they said "Follow Us!", but all I heard was "Bompus!" and that is how the ridiculous nickname was born.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, can't go wrong with Wayne and VCP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Birthday and good start!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Happy birthday Aaron. The crate should be there Monday at the latest. Thank you for the orders!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Crate has arrive and some goodies also. Finally got around to uploading some pics.

Below: Garage all cleaned out and ready for arrival of crate. You should have seen it before I "cleaned" it.

Below: Truck arrived from VCP with my crate of goodies. Refer to my first post to see what I ordered.

Below: My son and niece very excited to have a massive box to lean on. I actually got so excited unpacking the crate that I forgot to take pictures of the three-story masterpiece that Wayne created.

Below: Here we have an EJ20 from a 2005 WRX. You'll notice the shiny parts on/near the crank pulley. That is the trigger wheel and pickup mount for the Electromotive TECs ECU. It actually took me a while to figure out what the pickup mount was. At first I thought it was there to protect the crank pulley from being damaged during shipping!

Below: MT5 transmission from a 2005 WRX. You can't tell from this side, but the plastic VSS shaft on the opposite side appears to have broken off partially. The sensor was dangling and there aren't enough "threads" left on the shaft to push down and turn it to lock it into place. I'll need to look into how to replace that plastic VSS shaft so I can have a working speedometer. If anybody has pictures of what that shaft SHOULD look like with/without sensor screwed in, please share.

Below: Couple of WRX seats. They look comfy.

Below: VCP air to water intercooler. Another masterpiece. Question: I assume that is the air temperature sensor screwed into it. Is that correct?

Continued...

Post Thanks / Like
    Below: K-Tuned shifter from VCP. It's beautiful, but hard to capture in a single camera angle.

Below: Wiring harness for 818s from VCP. This is made to hook up to the Electomotive TECs ECU and eliminates much of the OEM harness. It's actually overwhelming still, so I'd hate to see an OEM harness before a diet.

I've already begun simplifying the engine by removing the green brackets of death, parts of the PCV system, etc. I have PLENTY of goodies on order and actually had a Gates timing / water pump kit arrive today, so there is already more work to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks a lot like this![ATTACH=CONFIG]26921[/ATTACH
    But this is only the wiring behind the dash!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DMC7492; 03-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    that IS the air charge temp sensor on the AWIC
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    That shifter is beautiful. I'm getting close to installing the FFR shifter which means I'm probably getting closer to calling Wayne for the K-Tuned shifter.
    Do you feel like sleeping with the shifter and intercooler?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Some updates:

Below: Old clutch ( does this look stock or just crap? ) compared to new Exedy KSB03A

Below: Old flywheel compared to new included in Exedy KSB03A kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a stock clutch to me.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.. I was just curious because the replacement I got is referred to as an OEM replacement, but it looks much more heavy duty than what was on the car. I also couldn't find any brand, part #, or country of origin on the old clutch so I was even more curious.

Time for some more photos.

Below: Some bolts / misc hardware being run through an Evapo-Rust bath:

Below: Intake and exhaust manifolds removed in preparation to be sent out for PnP. The intake and TGVs will get a CermaKrome coating and exhaust will get Swain Tech White Lightning:

Post Thanks / Like
    Intake manifold and TGVs were sent to Busted Finger Motorsports for PnP and TGV delete. They then got sent to Affordable Powder Coating / Affordable Extreme Coating in Phoenix for a CermaKrome coating. Results are below:

Post Thanks / Like
    Your intake and TGVs are amazing! I wish I'd done that. And I like the way you've kept the fasteners separate during their rust removal - saves lots of trial-and-error later on. Very good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I posted an update. I've been working on misc engine cleanup mostly, but also had the Quaife LSD put inside the transmission. I'll make a more thorough post later, but currently I have to deal with a turbo rebuild. I sent my VF48 in to 6star to have them check it out and possibly rebuild and just heard back the bad news that "the compressor housing is damaged beyond reconditioning. The abradable ring has been completely destroyed by the turbo failure so it can not be reused" which means I get to pay extra to replace it with the VF37 housing they have in stock and also have the internals rebuilt. I'm glad I decided to send it in to have them check it out.

While that is being done, I'll continue the engine work which is mostly replacing rubber with silicone, swain tech coating of exhaust pieces, new fuel rails/lines, and smaller things like that. I should receive the chassis from FFR via Stewart Transportation sometime in the next 3 weeks so I'm trying to get the garage cleaned up to make room for delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update here. It turns out that 6starspeed told me my turbo was destroyed on accident. Apparently, all it needed was a new vacuum nipple that was bent, but they confused me with another customer somehow. They must be overloaded over there or something because I got called by three different first names in three separate emails

All that being said, got the turbo back from being rebuilt.. I swear the one I got back feels 5 lbs heavier than the one I sent in.

And now some news which makes me very happy. Stewart Transport will be here in about 20 minutes to unload my kit and I can begin the real adventure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Small update here. It turns out that 6starspeed told me my turbo was destroyed on accident. Apparently, all it needed was a new vacuum nipple that was bent, but they confused me with another customer somehow. They must be overloaded over there or something because I got called by three different first names in three separate emails

All that being said, got the turbo back from being rebuilt.. I swear the one I got back feels 5 lbs heavier than the one I sent in.

And now some news which makes me very happy. Stewart Transport will be here in about 20 minutes to unload my kit and I can begin the real adventure!
    I'm in San Diego, mine is going to be here in a few more days. Did you see my car in the trailer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry matteo, mine was the only 818 on his truck. Call them and ask for an update

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe you got your 818 because there are no pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get some pictures up soon. Today was a very tiring day. I decided to sand and coat every single aluminum panel by hand. We coated them with Al's HNR which is a heat and noise reducer and ends up being a tan color. I have planned to follow up that coating with a layer or Herculiner. The good news is that my wife and I got all ~60 panels done today except for the final Herculiner coating. I'm terrified that they might come out looking awful, but a little late to worry about that now.

Also picked up some local aluminum sheet and created an engine-side firewall with the triangle cuts for easier removal. Some of my cuts were rough, but they'll be functional at least.

I promise I'll get some pics up when I have the energy to go through them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Off with the stock oil pan, pickup, baffle tray. On with the Killer B parts. The pickup uses 3 bolts instead of two and seems much more robust. The tray is more shallow and looks functional.

Stewart Transport delivered my 818S #218. Here you can see a glimpse of my attempt at making the awful angled curb work with the 4.5" height of the 818. We'll see how it works. You'll also see the stack of boxes it comes with. There were not as many boxes as I was expecting, but these boys are packed full of goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    And she's all mine! My wife and son look more excited than I do here.

My elaborate body panel retaining system. Drywall hooks for hanging pictures and some rope worked out decent. I have some of the larger panels in the backyard on pallets and covered because I had nowhere else to put them. You also get a sneak peak at the engine. Nothing special.. a few mods such as the Grimmspeed uppipe & crosspipe with the manifold all coated with Swaintech white lightning, VF48 turbo rebuilt by 6starspeed, IAG fuel rails. You can also see some of my blue silicone hoses that I am going to attempt to use for coolant and vacuum wherever I can.

And already have some of the steel brackets coated with primer. I may follow this up with a black enamel coat as well. The primer seems a bit "dusty" for my liking.

Post Thanks / Like
    And we have some of the rear suspension installed. Several parts that I need to complete the first steps are on backorder, so I'm stuck with doing what I can for now. I'm including pics from different angles so you can tell me if I did something wrong.

And because we were bored, we started coating aluminum panels. They are getting a coating of Al's HNR (Heat & Noise Reducer - sand/tan color) followed up by a coating of black Herculiner truck bed coating. We actually started coating some of the firewall with Herculiner tonight and so far it appears that Al's HNR is working as a decent primer for it.

Whew.. caught up on pictures. Now the work continues.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of progress in a few days! You'll be done by Fall. I admire your engine work and how you both are working together on the 818. There's more fun to come as more parts arrive and more gets bolted together..
    And, thanks for the tire help!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Let's start off with the good news. Aluminum panels are all coated with Herculiner ( on top of the Al's HNR coating ). The texture is nice and I'm stuck with it, so I'm sure it will look good when it is all on.

And the not so good news. I was going to install the front panel aluminum so decided to take the windshield off and store it somewhere safe. I took all of the layers of duct tape off that were holding it on. Everything looked great until I took the very last piece off. There were several scratches across the lower edge of the window.. no biggie until I took the last piece of tape off and underneath the tape was a decent sized chip in the glass. Once I got the window off, I looked at it closer and it appears to have hit something at least three times (hard) as it had three separate impact gashes all on the bottom passenger-side edge of the glass. I figured I would have a local glass company just fill in the chips to keep it from spreading, but when I checked on it later, it had already split out into several fractures that extend up the windshield and I don't think it is repairable at this point. There was glass dust/pieces stuck to the tape, so it happened sometime before it left FFR or during transport. We'll see how good FFR customer service is I suppose. Enough of my frustration rant and on with the photos of the damage.

I guess the good part is that the windshield is no longer in the way as I put the front aluminum on...

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch, sorry to hear it. I bet FF will make it right, but it's good you shared your experience.... I never woukd have thought to check mine but I will definitely do so after reading your post. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.. It's been over two months. I've been super busy with work, but have managed to get some work done on the 818 and have been lurking the forums. Now for some updates:

1. FFR had me send them some pictures of the damage to the windshield and promptly had a replacement shipped out to me. To be honest I haven't taken the replacement out of the box yet because I don't want to risk the possibility of damaging it before I am ready to install it. Super impressed with FFR customer service though.

2. Front and cabin aluminum are all installed. I also created a not-so-great version of an engine-side firewall using some triangular pieces. I got the idea of the rear firewall from AZPete and had a local shop cut me a couple of rectangular pieces and then used a HF Jigsaw (eww! - they don't cut straight) to cut the triangular pieces. I managed to get it done, but it didn't come out pretty. The Herculiner covers up most of those flaws though. I didn't like the appearance of gaps in the firewall where I could see insulation through it, so I painted the entire thing, including rivnuts and washers with black.

3. I almost forgot to put on the alternator belt and adding a burb port to the coolant housing before dropping in the engine. Hopefully I didn't forget anything else. Somehow I screwed up the 1/8 NPT hole ( tapped it too big? ) for the 1/8 NPT nipple I had, so in a panic I grabbed some JB Weld and smothered it in/on/around and I am hoping for no leaks. In the last photo, it appears we are all looking for something crucial that we need to drop the engine in. I forget what it was, so hopefully we found it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing the last post.

4. Engine and transmission are in!

5. I'm going with the Walbro GSS342-400-791 fuel pump. Instead of soldering the wires, I opted to crimp on some 3M heat-shrink butt connectors which have some type of adhesive inside as well. I also took a photo of the Walbro pump (left) beside the OEM pump for those who wanted to know if it would fit. It's almost identical in size and any difference can be made up by shortening the length of the connecting hose.

6. Started installing rear brake lines a few days ago. This is my first time doing brake lines so I was super lucky that I had enough line to allow me to put the rear tee past the engine-side firewall. You can see it was definitely a close fit.

7. I'm going to have to remove the front coil-overs and lower shock mount and do some grinding to the mount and possibly the bolt heads. The welds on the both mounts are preventing the bolt from seating all of the way and the end result is the bolt grinding it's way into the lower shock.

8. Installed the fuel pressure regulator. I couldn't find a better spot for it. It's an Aeromotive 13129. I also installed some Russell hard-line to -06 AN fittings onto the fuel tank pickup. The larger adapter took some grinding to the top-most portion to allow it to fit onto the hard line before it enlarged.

Post Thanks / Like
    And there's more..

9. Fuel tank installed. You can see the RobbMc Small 10 Micron Filter (1072) sitting on top of the tank waiting for a mounting location.

10. And a possible problem. The wastegate arm on the turbo (VF48) BARELY clears the support brace. We're talking less than the thickness of a quarter. When the engine torques, it would likely hit the bar. My initial idea was to add some washers or spacers to push the support brace back a bit farther to where I don't think it would hit. I'm not sure what ends up mounting to the brace, so I am looking for suggestions on my idea or other ideas.

That's it for today. There was plenty more, but I won't bore you with pictures you've already seen everywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    And there's more..

9. Fuel tank installed. You can see the RobbMc Small 10 Micron Filter (1072) sitting on top of the tank waiting for a mounting location.

10. And a possible problem. The wastegate arm on the turbo (VF48) BARELY clears the support brace. We're talking less than the thickness of a quarter. When the engine torques, it would likely hit the bar. My initial idea was to add some washers or spacers to push the support brace back a bit farther to where I don't think it would hit. I'm not sure what ends up mounting to the brace, so I am looking for suggestions on my idea or other ideas.

That's it for today. There was plenty more, but I won't bore you with pictures you've already seen everywhere else.
    Make sure you leave a little extra room between that arm and the brace. The wastegate actuator arm needs to move towards the rear in order to open up the wastegate flaps in the turbo in order to relieve exhaust pressure.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I definitely need to make some more room there. Would there be any problem with adding some spacers to the brace to move it back farther or does something critical (body panels, etc) need to mount to it in that exact default location? I figured if I moved the brace back 0.5" or more that it would make me feel more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bompus,
    there are others on here that had the same problem with the waste gate actuator. They cut a big notch in the bracket and then reinforced it.
    Check this thread
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...f48#post145592
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-20-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question in to FFR tech to ask what the recommended approach would be. I would love to just add some 0.50" - 1.00" spacers to the support brace bolts to move it rearward and provide the necessary clearance, but I'm not sure what that would do from a structural integrity or body panel alignment standpoint. We'll see what FFR says unless anybody else wants to chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shock tower brace keep the 2 shock towers spread out the correct distance. It forms a structural triangle on top of the motor. It also connect to the ends of the roll bar supports. I don't think spacers would be a good idea.
    The trunk hinge also bolts to that shock tower brace.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-13-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well.. it's about that time to order wheels + tires. I'm going with XXR 530 17x7 +35 up front and 18x8.75 +33(+35?) rear in Chromium Black. Part numbers 53077102N and 53088102N for those that find the information useful. I believe this is the same wheel that others have used, but correct me if I am horribly wrong. All 4 from tirecrazy for 470 shipped.

For tires, I was originally going to go with Federal 595 RS-R, but due to lack of availability and the fact that I won't be taking the car to the track, I decided to go with a harder tire so they will last longer. I had a feeling the 595 RS-R would have melted to the AZ pavement on a hot summer day. So I went out searching for a new affordable tire choice that I can find in stock. I've come up with the Nexen N'Fera SU1 which comes in 215/40/17 and 255/35/18. All 4 from simpletire for 459 shipped to an installer.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast