Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: (This is a stretch but...) Looking for a place to complete my build!

Post Thanks / Like

(This is a stretch but...) Looking for a place to complete my build!

Hey all,

The garage I am using to complete my build is leaving me (friend is moving away for work). I am receiving my R this July, and have the donor car almost done. Sometime before July, I would like to find a nicer place than my small, unheated, unpowered garage at my apartment complex. Is there anyone who has a garage or knows someone who does in the Oswego, NY area? Willing to pay for it, of course.

If so, let me know!

Frank

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see you have already put a wanted on Craigs list. Good move but from past experience you have to check the for rent adds yourself. There appears to be several for rent but kind of pricey. Here on Long Island can get strictly parking or storage in a garage, for 150 to 200. But they wont let you do any work . We have a large amount of larger space avail.
    They run about 800 but there is enough room to build 3 cars. Other thingis you have to watch if the garage has heat and elect. Thats harder to find.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    You could approach the new owners/leasers and ask to lease the garage space (with some allowance for noise) until completed, or be generous with time. Moving can be expensive, that might soften them to the idea. When is your lease up? Might be time for a garage upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    I see you have already put a wanted on Craigs list. Good move but from past experience you have to check the for rent adds yourself. There appears to be several for rent but kind of pricey. Here on Long Island can get strictly parking or storage in a garage, for 150 to 200. But they wont let you do any work . We have a large amount of larger space avail.
    They run about 800 but there is enough room to build 3 cars. Other thingis you have to watch if the garage has heat and elect. Thats harder to find.

Kenny
    Yeah, it is. It is probably cheaper than Long Island up here, but still not cheap! It might have to just be in my little apartment garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    You could approach the new owners/leasers and ask to lease the garage space (with some allowance for noise) until completed, or be generous with time. Moving can be expensive, that might soften them to the idea. When is your lease up? Might be time for a garage upgrade?
    Lease isn't up until 6 months after my FFR delivery date, sadly. I am considering shipping it to my parents' house instead and driving the 5 hours home some weekends to work on it. I will certainly consider the new owners. The house isn't sold just yet, but it's getting closer by the day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I struggled with similar space issues during my apartment living years. If you get stuck doing it in your apartment garage, I'd suggest renting a self-storage place, such as U-Haul for storing the body and extra parts while you work. Having all that stuff piled up in your living room may discourage visitors. Another long shot for overflow, if you apartment property has space and your landlord would allow it, is renting a shipping container and keeping it on-site or a "garage in a box". I knew a guy who completely rebuilt a mustang in one of those tent garages and went on to win shows with it. I think he ran an extension cord from the house for power and did a lot by hand. I also used my parents garage for a project car once - it gave me something to do while I was visiting my parents and some company while I was tinkering with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me, I'd rent a self storage unit until my lease was up, as it is probably the cheapest option, and then move to a place that has a garage. This will allow you to work on the car (to some extent) even if there is no electricity. After college I lived in New Hampshire for two years and roomed with a guy that owned a townhouse with a garage. The rent was cheap and he let me do car work in the garage on my wrx. Splitting the rent also helped me save for my house.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a small municipal airport nearby? A buddy of mine rented a small hanger and built his car in that. He had a couple of electrical outlets and an overhead light to work with.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a long shot, but try the guys on CNYsubies.com I'm a moderator over there and used to live in Syracuse. Those guys are all following my 818 build. You might be able to find someone willing to house the project and even work on it with you. They're mostly spread around the greater Syracuse area.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frank,

Since you are in Oswego, you might want to hit up the race car guys. Lots of them in the area and they might be very supportive.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Racebrewer View Post
    Hi Frank,

Since you are in Oswego, you might want to hit up the race car guys. Lots of them in the area and they might be very supportive.

John
    Race car guys? Who does that refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    It's a long shot, but try the guys on CNYsubies.com I'm a moderator over there and used to live in Syracuse. Those guys are all following my 818 build. You might be able to find someone willing to house the project and even work on it with you. They're mostly spread around the greater Syracuse area.
    Posted! I've actually been on the forum a bit before; good group of guys! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Do you have a small municipal airport nearby? A buddy of mine rented a small hanger and built his car in that. He had a couple of electrical outlets and an overhead light to work with.

Ray
    THAT is a cool idea. I actually do...maybe I'll give them a call... I've never heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    If it were me, I'd rent a self storage unit until my lease was up, as it is probably the cheapest option, and then move to a place that has a garage. This will allow you to work on the car (to some extent) even if there is no electricity. After college I lived in New Hampshire for two years and roomed with a guy that owned a townhouse with a garage. The rent was cheap and he let me do car work in the garage on my wrx. Splitting the rent also helped me save for my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrprgrmr View Post
    I struggled with similar space issues during my apartment living years. If you get stuck doing it in your apartment garage, I'd suggest renting a self-storage place, such as U-Haul for storing the body and extra parts while you work. Having all that stuff piled up in your living room may discourage visitors. Another long shot for overflow, if you apartment property has space and your landlord would allow it, is renting a shipping container and keeping it on-site or a "garage in a box". I knew a guy who completely rebuilt a mustang in one of those tent garages and went on to win shows with it. I think he ran an extension cord from the house for power and did a lot by hand. I also used my parents garage for a project car once - it gave me something to do while I was visiting my parents and some company while I was tinkering with the car.

Self storage might be my only option. I'll probably defer my FFR date if that's the case, though.

Thanks fo rthe replies, all!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The municipal airport T hanger rental is an inspired idea! You'll probably get a few visitors once the weather improves and the local pilots wander by. They're all motor heads, and will likely love to help. There's usually space for a fridge and storage as well. Noise will not be an issue. That really would be a good option. Be careful though, you just might get the flying bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Racebrewer View Post
    Hi Frank,

John

Oswegospeedway.com The big racetrack out past the Dunkin Donuts.

John